• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Caldera, SCO

kevinthenerd

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2002
Read the article on SCO suspending the distribution of Linux pending intellectual property clarification.

What's up with this code they found in Linux that belongs to the owner of Unix? I have a good suspicion that Caldera OpenLinux included code in Unix just to get it spread around, and now they're announcing it just to cripple Linux, the biggest competition to Unix. Grab an old copy of OpenLinux and see if they were the ones breaking the law with the GNU GPL EULA.

What do you think? I think this is worse than what Microsoft did to Netscape, Apple did to Xerox, or what Microsoft did to CPM. I'm sick of corporations stealing and declaring war on grassroots movements such as the open source GNU/GPL. I can't wait for these guys to get mowed over by free software written by hobbyists.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
The last death spasms of a company that couldn't adapt to changing markets. They're hoping IBM will decide it's cheaper and easier to buy them out than fight them in court. Note SCO's campaign to create publicity questioning the legal status of Linux. It's just a ploy to increase pressure on IBM. IBM has been actively pushing Linux into conservative corporate customers, and SCO knows that legal uncertainties will make these companies uneasy.

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
This reminds me of Rambus (a few years back) a lot. Their product sucks, they're losing customers and money and their solution is to sue. Rambus wanted royalties from every DRAM manufacturer, didn't they?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
Originally posted by: MartyTheManiak
This reminds me of Rambus (a few years back) a lot. Their product sucks, they're losing customers and money and their solution is to sue. Rambus wanted royalties from every DRAM manufacturer, didn't they?
every sdram manufacturer, so, yeah.

ASK THE COMMUNITY