Cal vs. UVa in men's college basketball. How do they match up? [edit] CAL'S RANKED 22!

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Virginia
[*]16-9 overall
[*]6-8 in conference
[*]5th in conference
[*]2 wins against ranked teams
[*]Lost twice this week to unranked teams

California
[*]20-6 overall
[*]11-5 in conference
[*]2nd in conference
[*]Beat 2 ranked teams this week by a combined 37 points

Anyhow...which team do you think is ranked?

You guessed it--it's Virginia! [poll]
Cal though did manage to get 2 votes so in theory, they're ranked 45...
Your thoughts on this?

[UPDATE] Woah! The new polls came out and UVa dropped out of the rankings (and took UCLA with them). Cal grabbed the number 21 AP spot.

As it stands, there are 5 pac-10 teams from the 13 to 21 spots...

FrontlineWarrior

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2000
Cal is a very underrated team this year. They beat a lot of tough opponents this year like UCLA, USC, etc. They play pretty good defense too, so they might surprise a few people this year in the tourney. I can't wait until March Madness! :D

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<< Cal is a very underrated team this year. They beat a lot of tough opponents this year like UCLA, USC, etc. They play pretty good defense too, so they might surprise a few people this year in the tourney. I can't wait until March Madness! :D >>

Definitely...it will also be nice to see 6 pac-10 teams in the big dance ;)

RalphWiggum

Feb 20, 2001
Yah, Cal is really overlooked but this weekend should put us into the rankings.
I think that link you have is outdated and it doesn't reflect what happened this past week.
Anyways, Cal should be ahead of USC, UCLA, and Stanford at least, since we play in the same conference but Cal has the better record.
BUT, we all know the bias the rankers have, so the only way for Cal to move in is for a team to drop.
Don't worry too much about the rankings, but I'm with you, I wanna see our team ranked :).

Yah 6 Pac-10 teams will be cool. If a few of them make it into the Sweet 16 and more than 1 into the Elite 8, the Pac-10 will prove its the toughest bball conference.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<< Yah, Cal is really overlooked but this weekend should put us into the rankings.
I think that link you have is outdated and it doesn't reflect what happened this past week.
>>

Yeah...It's a week old *and* it's only the ESPN poll...

Still though, Cal should be higher.

I really don't think too many pac-10 teams can get past the sweet 16 but all 6 should be able to get there...

Ha ha...And if ASU wins the NIT, all would be perfect for the pac-10

RalphWiggum

Feb 20, 2001
Yah, I agree that Cal should be ranked. The problem is we don't have a star, and our team is good because of defense, not offense.

Hmm... I doubt all 6 will get to the sweet 16, especially considering how overrated USC, UCLA, and Stanford are :).
I think Oregon and Arizona can make it past that round, and even Cal if the jump shots are falling. But, one of the funnest things about the tournament is how unpredictable it is. Gotta love the "Cinderella" teams, unless they beat my team of course. :)

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
Virgina is completely overrated, and has a very good chance of a losing record in the ACC and not getting a tournament bid (selection cmmte doesn't like teams with losing conf. records). Cal is very underrated in the Pac, and nationally should be in the 13-20 range. SC is somewhat underrated, definitely top 25 team. UCLA is completely inconsistent, but should be top 25. Beat both Kansas and Alabama soundly, yet lose to Arizona State, Ball State and Villanova, kills me. Stanford is overrated, and will tank out in the tournament early when Montgomery wont get the calls he gets in the Pac 10 (hasn't been getting them as much this year at least against UCLA) Oregon is another inconsistent team, that plays lights out at home, but can't win away from the Pit.

The Pac is wide open. I think either SC or Oregon takes the tournament. All the top 6 deserve a bid, 4 or 5 will advance to the sweet 16. SC, Arizona are definite sweet 16's for me. Cal, UCLA, Oregon are probables but 1 will lose, Standford tanks in the 2nd round.

Hopefully 1 or 2 make the elite 8. Outside shot for 1 in the Final Four, if they turn it on. People outside the Pac10 will think I'm nuts, but the Pac 10 is second to none in terms of toughness top to bottom. (Washington, who sucks, kept it close with Oregon yesterday.)

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001

<< Virgina is completely overrated, and has a very good chance of a losing record in the ACC and not getting a tournament bid (selection cmmte doesn't like teams with losing conf. records). Cal is very underrated in the Pac, and nationally should be in the 13-20 range. >>

Cal sometimes plays awesome, sometimes doesn't.

Did you see the game on Saturday? Sampson was ferocious...now that's the guy we recruited. And Shipp, Tamir, Legans...even Whethers or Hughes can turn it up on any given night...pity the poor team when 2 or 3 of them gets hot at the same time ;)

<< SC is somewhat underrated, definitely top 25 team. UCLA is completely inconsistent, but should be top 25. Beat both Kansas and Alabama soundly, yet lose to Arizona State, Ball State and Villanova, kills me. >>

UCLA has definitely got some quality wins but it kills me that they can lose to a Pepperdine or a Villanova because it makes the whole conference look bad...

As for the pac-10 tournament...I think I'd have to give it to SC just because they pretty much have home-court advantage since it's being played within walking distance of the school

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
And I don't think Stanford's *that* overrated (though it's hard to defend someone that just lost twice in a row at home :Q). Jake and Borchardt play their positions as good as anyone in the conference. They just gotta find some way to make things happen...

The Dancing Peacock

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 1999
They've got some great players, The new freshman is gonna be great...can't remember his name, kid with the afro. I wasn't able to watch our game against them, but I guess he disappeared while Bozeman,Patterson and Dijon played well for us. Borchardt is a good center, he'll be drafted high. He seems really versatile, like LaFrentz, he cant step out and hit a 3 too.

The Pepperdine loss isn't so bad to me because they beat Gonzaga too. It wasn't a fluke for them to beat, us, SC, and Gonzaga. I wouldn't concede the tournament to SC, they can be beaten, as Cal proved Saturday :). The darkhorse is Arizona, they have beaten everybody once, except for Oregon, I think. Even then, I don't think Oregon could take Arizona out 3 times in 1 season.

Cat

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'm a Wahoo, and I've watched nearly every men's basketball game this year. I was at the Maryland loss (good god we were loud.)

We're no longer in the Top-25, but we do have the ability to beat ranked teams, when all cylinders are firing. Injuries and sickness have plagued the team for the past month. Adam Hall is back in the rotation, will have team practice, and if Watson is health, I pick UVa for the win, by 10.

Just remember, we play in the ACC. What conference does your team play in?

777php

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
Just remember, we play in the ACC. What conference does your team play in?

Did you read the entire thread? Everybody was stating how strong the Pac 10 is this year, placing 6 teams in the tourney would definitely prove so. I count 5 Pac 10 teams in the ESPN/today poll which includes Cal at no. 25 as of today. Also the ACC will probably have only 4 teams in the tourney this year with Duke and Maryland being the only two legit teams from the ACC.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Go BEARS!

To be honest, Ben Braun is a great coach, but a run to the Sweet 16 might be asking a little too much from a young squad this season. I expect them to advance in the NCAA at least one round though. Ranking does matter (unless you're Gonzaga) since last year they lost to a talented Fresno State team in the first round.

Cal is unranked because it doesn't get much press, and it loses games to weak opponents. This week sent a big statement though.

As for the Bruins, they don't deserve much respect because they have all the talent in the world, but Lavin just doesn't know X's and O's. He's like former-Cal coach Todd Bozeman; he knows how to bribe parents to get the blue chips to sign, but that's about it.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Why has UVA been ranked over NC State the entire year even though NC State always had the better record and waxed them twice? Also, why is NC State the number 3 ranked team in the ACC and unranked, while Wake Forest the #4 team in the ACC has a high ranking?

UVA is very over-rated and will have a losing record in the ACC this year

Pacfanweb

Lifer
Jan 2, 2000
<<Also the ACC will probably have only 4 teams in the tourney this year with Duke and Maryland being the only two legit teams from the ACC. >>

You don't know what you're talking about. Dook and Md. the only LEGIT teams? What is legit? Having a real shot at the final 4? If so, then that's true....but how many teams from the Pac 10 are legit by that criteria? Answer: None.
ACC is the #1 or 2 toughest conference. Just imagine, you have to play Dook and Md twice each....practically guaranteeing your team 4 losses in the conference. Then, the NCAA wants you to go at least 8-8 in the conf. to make the big dance. Hard to do against the rest of the ACC.

As far as UVA is concerned, they are a farce. NC State has beated them twice, has a better overall and conference, and is unranked. If UVA gets back together, though, they will beat Cal.

badluck

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2001
UVA blows. Most overrated team this year. Well, next to Missouri (when they were ranked).

Virginia RPI/SOS:

RPI: 0.5685 - 53
SOS: 0.5447 - 63

Pathetic!!! They are not ranked this week. I doubt they will even make the tournament with this record. Espeially after looking their RPI/SOS....

Cal RPI/SOS:

RPI: 0.5991 - 25
SOS: 0.5424 - 69

Cat

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999
UVa beats Duke. I repeat, when we are healthy, we win. I particularly enjoyed jumping up and down at center court.