Cablecard tuner: WMC unable to play protected content on display device

May 27, 2008
If you are suddenly getting this message when trying to watch TV on your HTPC then you may be affected by a bug in the latest Windows update. Specifically "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3004394)" This bug appears to only affect cablecard tuners using WMC on Windows 7.

Bug as discussed on the Green Button forum.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8212

Silicondust has provided instructions on how to uninstall the update.
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=18250&sid=d2471462b39e47e9b9924f9bc0bc8c8f

This bug caused watching via the "Live TV" option to break on my HTPC. Buy oddly both new and old scheduled recordings continued to play back. Silicondust's uninstall procedure has fixed the "Live TV" problem for me.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
my server machine for the extenders is running 8 so I haven't had any problem yet. watching a recording on win 7 with the update, but haven't run into a problem yet with that.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
I just had this problem with my HTPC. i just #$&(*$& wasted 3 hours of my life trying to figure out why the hell this started happening. There was a work around though, just needed to minimize or turn wmc into a window and then video would start up again. still a deal breaker for any households who have non-techies or wives.

I finally just did a system restore to a week ago and i'm good to go. times like these is why i'm afraid to build a HTPC for mom and dad.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
Hmm, if people uninstall this update, it can lead to bad certificates being used. For example, the stolen certs from Sony.

With the patch, certs get updated every 24 hours. Without it, it can take a week.
This patch is only a problem on win 7 SP1 & windows Server 2008 R2 SP1.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
I just had this problem with my HTPC. i just #$&(*$& wasted 3 hours of my life trying to figure out why the hell this started happening. There was a work around though, just needed to minimize or turn wmc into a window and then video would start up again. still a deal breaker for any households who have non-techies or wives.

I finally just did a system restore to a week ago and i'm good to go. times like these is why i'm afraid to build a HTPC for mom and dad.

ah that's interesting. I did test later on my win7 machine on live tv that has the update and didn't notice a problem. But that machine uses it in a windowed mode so if it only has a problem in fullscreen I never would have noticed.

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
just received a windows update to correct that kb,so if you haven't noticed a problem yet hit the update to not do so.