Toby Williams

Oct 10, 2017
Hi, I know I'm an absolute noob, but I was wondering if you’d be able to put me together some sort of shopping list based on what I need as I am by no way an expert on networking. I bought a reel of cat6a cable to wire a new property. I have probably 20 cables coming out of the wall and they need terminating for a network switch. I was wondering what connectors and tools I need to do the job. On the other end, faceplates would be needed and some of these rooms have two cables coming to the same box (so two ports would be needed on the faceplate). I also have a couple of cat 5e cables that will also need terminating. Will these need different tools or connectors, and if so, which ones would I need to buy. Thank you!

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
The tools needed depend on the connectors used, you can see what is available at Amazon and go from there.

You might want to use wireless, it's a lot less messy and a lot more portable than wired. Wired homes have been pretty much phased out over time by advances in wireless tech. You will be adding no longer wanted tech to a house and will not add any value to it for the time and money spent.

And I thought this was a thread about getting rid of cable TV which I did years ago. :)

Reactions: Toby Williams

Toby Williams

Oct 10, 2017
The tools needed depend on the connectors used, you can see what is available at Amazon and go from there.

You might want to use wireless, it's a lot less messy and a lot more portable than wired. Wired homes have been pretty much phased out over time by advances in wireless tech. You will be adding no longer wanted tech to a house and will not add any value to it for the time and money spent.

And I thought this was a thread about getting rid of cable TV which I did years ago. :)

Thanks for the quick reply, I've already put the cables in so might as well use them. Wireless doesn't really have the transfer speeds that I'm wanting but thanks for the advice!

Toby Williams

Oct 10, 2017
I think I've sorted the connectors etc but I am unsure on the tools that I would need to terminate them. Crimp tool etc? And are these necessary?

boomerang

Lifer
Jun 19, 2000
I think I've sorted the connectors etc but I am unsure on the tools that I would need to terminate them. Crimp tool etc? And are these necessary?
The crimp tool is necessary. It both forces the contacts into the wires and secures the wire in the connector by crimping down on the jacket. You could not get even remotely an acceptable connection without the tool.

Our new house has wall plates. Through a mixup, they were terminated as phone jacks. I bought some keystone jacks and plates and switched them over. I was fortunate that the wire I needed for networking was run because they could have run actual four conductor phone cable. The cabling is connected into the keystone jacks using a punch down tool. The other ends in your case could utilize the connectors you bought crimped on with the tool.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Hi, I know I'm an absolute noob, but I was wondering if you’d be able to put me together some sort of shopping list based on what I need as I am by no way an expert on networking. I bought a reel of cat6a cable to wire a new property. I have probably 20 cables coming out of the wall and they need terminating for a network switch. I was wondering what connectors and tools I need to do the job. On the other end, faceplates would be needed and some of these rooms have two cables coming to the same box (so two ports would be needed on the faceplate). I also have a couple of cat 5e cables that will also need terminating. Will these need different tools or connectors, and if so, which ones would I need to buy. Thank you!

Usually, you would put up a patch panel and hooke up the cables to the jacks. Then use patch cable to connect to router. You need a punch down tool to connect the ethernet cable to the panel or Keystone.

Solids are not meant to be crimped to connectors.

This is a keystone crimp tool
TO-CRIMP-RPT_1.jpg

Last edited:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Yeah basically you have a patch panel at a central location where all network/server gear will go, and Idealy where your internet comes in. Then each jack terminates at the panel. I personally like keystone patch panels for home, they are terminated the exact same way as a jack, and they are modular. You can put phone, cable TV etc in it too and it's easy to add stuff later. But if you are terminating 24+ in one go, then a regular patch panel probably makes more sense. Always leave room for expansion as well.

There are various styles of punch downs, I just have one where you do one connector at once. You can also get toolless keystones that don't require punching down, but I've found they arn't as great to work with, sometimes you don't get a solid connection.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Cat6a, patch cable or solid core?

Cat5e, same question.

Then you choose your tools.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Solid core is also called "riser"

Should say it on the box that the spool is in, or directly on the cable

Eric Fazekas

Jun 27, 2017
I feel like I'm late...eight days is a lifetime in the build of a house and when you have the rest of the internet as a resource. There a lot of YouTube videos on this subject including why you need/should use a punchdown panel before going to your switch. I went through a custom build a few years ago and did my own wiring. I had most of the tools I needed (crimp tool, punchdown tool, etc), but I struggled with how I wanted to lay out the comm closet, the structured media box/enclosure and which network infrastructure to buy. I wasn't sure I needed a punchdown panel....seeemed excessive for my needs and like an unnecessary step, but I did it and I'm glad I did. Aside from the geek factor it offers a lot of flexibility including connecting two endpoints directly and using an HDMI over ethernet box (allows me to push the signal from my cable box or other device to any TV in the house - split with the use of a splitter also).

Faceplates and keystones are probably all made pretty much the same so don't stress too much over that. If you use a punchdown you could buy the patch cords that go from the punchdown to the switch (All one size, all one color adds to the geek factor). The you just need cables from the wall jack to whatever you're wiring in the rooms. You could make them or buy them.

Good luck and post pictures when you're done.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
if youre doing a panel, and patch cables to the switch, then sure...just go buy a pack of the same kind so it looks neat.

i like that, i am meticulous when i do the physical part, as it aids in problem determination at any point.