Cable television affected by solar flares?

Discussion in 'Highly Technical' started by OneOfTheseDays, Mar 3, 2007.

1. OneOfTheseDays

OneOfTheseDays Diamond Member

My digital cable service has recently been plagued by extreme pixelation and dropouts every couple of seconds. All cables are fine and we haven't had problems for the 1.5 years we've had digital cable service. I called TWC today and they told me that the problems are due to excessive solar flares and that the problems should clear up by 3/11/07.

Does this make any sense to you guys? I would think solar flares would only affect satellite television services, not a land line service like cable television.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Cable television affected Forum Date
    Need non-otg USB-cable explanation Highly Technical Mar 19, 2016
    LTE vs DSL/Cable. Why is LTE so much faster? Highly Technical Oct 17, 2014
    Extending IP Camera cable Highly Technical May 3, 2013
    Can anyone tell me what kind of video cable this is? Highly Technical Mar 6, 2013
    FCC: Repurposing of the Television Broadcast Spectrum Highly Technical Feb 23, 2011

3. The Boston Dangler

the cable company recieves every channel over satellite, except local broadcasters usually. twice a year, the sun and satellite(s) align. effectively, you're looking for a match in front of a searchlight.

4. smack Down

smack Down Diamond Member

Does the problem go away at night?

5. imported_iNGEN

Depending on the nature of the signal degradation and the relative position of the relevant satellite(s) the problem may remain at night. At least the answer could eliminate a false positive on solar flares being the source of the trouble.

6. bendixG15

bendixG15 Diamond Member

This ain't high tech ...... kill it

7. OneOfTheseDays

The effect of solar flares on television transmissions isn't high tech.....?

Anyways, the problem actually goes away during the day. It's worst at nights.

8. Aluvus

Aluvus Platinum Member

NOAA et al report that solar flare activity has been very low, with none within 24 hours of the report.

It may be that Time Warner's techs are just fond of the excuse generator.

9. The Boston Dangler

solar flares and pre-determined sun outages are completely different things. if you're still having problems for more than a couple days, call the cable company and schdule a service call.

10. Texun

Texun Platinum Member

As the BD stated, "Sun Outages" are not the same as solar flares. Sun Outages happen a couple of times a year and usually lasts for about two weeks. The timing and severity can vary depending on the location of the satellites being used by the cable company. The sun overpowers the bird's transmit power and cause signal degradation, which is what you see if you get sparkles followed by snow (analog sets) or pixilation (digital converters) for a few minutes in the afternoon. It should be fine at night. There is nothing that can be done about Sun Outages so you should give it a couple of weeks and see if it gets better. If it is happening at night have them send someone to check it out.

You can read it here... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun_outage

11. OneOfTheseDays

Problem has gone away. Sun outages.....

12. gsellis

gsellis Diamond Member

Based on when you posted, I call shens on TW's excuse. In fact, when it went away, it was the worst time for solar activity during the period.

K Index

Flare activity

13. Matt1970

Matt1970 Lifer

They should have blamed it on Swamp Gas.