Cable Modem Router Multiple Switches and Extender Help

ron351

May 9, 2016
Looking for order of setup suggestions to run my network properly.
I have a ton of stuff connected to my network and wonder if order makes a difference.
Right now I have a cable modem/router (1)24 port switch,(2) 8 port switches (1) router besides the cable modem/router and a Netgear AC1200 range extender on the way this week.
Currently my cable modem/router has 1 router port connected to a 24 port switch. From the 24 port switch I have (2) 8 port switches with 1 up stairs and 1 in the garage. On the one 8 port switch upstairs I have a 2nd router "Netgear" connected as a access point for wireless. Everything seems to run ok.
I will be getting the netgear AC1200 range extender in a couple days and wonder if it makes any difference what place in order on my current network makes a difference. Like, does it have to go before the 24 port switch or can it be connected at the end switch which is a 8 port switch in the garage that runs off the 24 port switch.

Hope this makes sense.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sound like your current network layout is OK.

What are you planning on doing with the range extender? Using it as an AP? Or a wireless bridge / repeater?

ron351

May 9, 2016
Thanks Larry for your reply. I am basically looking to extend the wireless range. Not sure what AP is and guessing bridge repeater is basically the same as extender.
Here is a diagram showing what I have set up now and #6 will be the extender. I have like 14 IP security cameras going into the 24 port switch and another 4 cameras into the garage 8 port switch. Plus other devices in the 2nd 8 port switch in the house besides the wireless.
But to give an idea how it is running now is the picture
So guessing since the #1 surfboard is the main router to the 24 port switch it makes up all the LAN to the other switches and #5 netgear router is ok where it is? and my future #6 range extender can come off one of the 8 port switches and it don't matter what comes before what to work properly?
The netgear WNDR4500 router when setting it up I chose it as being a access point and assume that makes it work like a range extender also to access the lan for internet browsing. But since I selected to make the #5 Netgear WNDR4500 a access point it seems I can't log into it as when I used to run it as a 2nd router before. Guess that don't matter
network.jpg

Last edited:

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Thanks Larry for your reply. I am basically looking to extend the wireless range. Not sure what AP is and guessing bridge repeater is basically the same as extender.
Here is a diagram showing what I have set up now and #6 will be the extender. I have like 14 IP security cameras going into the 24 port switch and another 4 cameras into the garage 8 port switch. Plus other devices in the 2nd 8 port switch in the house besides the wireless.
But to give an idea how it is running now is the picture
So guessing since the #1 surfboard is the main router to the 24 port switch it makes up all the LAN to the other switches and #5 netgear router is ok where it is? and my future #6 range extender can come off one of the 8 port switches and it don't matter what comes before what to work properly?
The netgear WNDR4500 router when setting it up I chose it as being a access point and assume that makes it work like a range extender also to access the lan for internet browsing. But since I selected to make the #5 Netgear WNDR4500 a access point it seems I can't log into it as when I used to run it as a 2nd router before. Guess that don't matter
network.jpg

Just to prevent confusion, you should be referring to #5 as a Wired Access Point. Because you have it wired in, you are maximizing your bandwidth vs. using #6 as a Wireless Extender. Because Wireless Extenders pick up a wireless signal and retransmit, you lose half of your potential speed. If you can wire it in to one of the switches (making it an Wired Access Point) you'll get faster and more stable performance but your range may be limited by the wires.

You have 3 potential SSIDs for wireless connection, the Arris Modem, the WNDR4500 and the AC1200 Extender. The other thing to consider is that the WNDR4500 is only Wireless N, but it appears that the other 2 are Wireless AC capable so you'll want to place the APs according to potential usage.

Kind of wish I had a floor plan of your house and where the cables and switches ran.

JackMDS

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 25, 1999

Yeah Extender is basically a Repeater.

Like a lot of thing in life Multiple names many times give a Clue to the fact that your are dealing with Questionable concept (Jails/Prisons did not became better because they change their names to Correctional facilities :eek:).

That said, installing an Extender (or its twin loser solution Ethernet over PowerLine) many times do not provide the expected solution.

Thus if you want to try, make sure that you get an easy Returnable with full Refund one.

:cool:

ron351

May 9, 2016
Just to prevent confusion, you should be referring to #5 as a Wired Access Point. Because you have it wired in, you are maximizing your bandwidth vs. using #6 as a Wireless Extender. Because Wireless Extenders pick up a wireless signal and retransmit, you lose half of your potential speed. If you can wire it in to one of the switches (making it an Wired Access Point) you'll get faster and more stable performance but your range may be limited by the wires.

You have 3 potential SSIDs for wireless connection, the Arris Modem, the WNDR4500 and the AC1200 Extender. The other thing to consider is that the WNDR4500 is only Wireless N, but it appears that the other 2 are Wireless AC capable so you'll want to place the APs according to potential usage.

Kind of wish I had a floor plan of your house and where the cables and switches ran.

Yes the #5 Netgear 4500 is hard wired to the switch for now in the livingroom. I am thinking of putting that in the garage hard wired to the switch in the garage for the back yard outdoor use as wireless WiFi.
Then the #6 AC1200 extender will go in the livingroom hard wired from the switch that the #5 was connected to. That will cover the entire 1st floor
The Arris AC modem which is also a wireless wifi is in the basement and may or may not use the wireless part on that because I have the 24 port switch down there to hard wire the computer and security cameras to.
If the #6 does good both inside and in the back yard I may put the #5 Netgear on the 2nd floor on a hard wired jack to the basement 24 port switch and that will cover the 2nd floor and Attic better then relying on the #6 AC1200 to rely on.
House is basically 4 floors, basement, 1st floor, 2nd floor and attic. If I needed to I have cat5 already ran to the attic so that could be a hard wired to the basement 24 port switch or add another #5 netgear for wireless in the attic if it comes to needing it if the 2nd floor netgear won't reach the attic.
So I guess I am on the right track for not loosing speed by hard wiring to the switches and hard wiring in the #5 and #6 to the switches. I guess as long as the #1 is a router connected to the 24 port switch is the main thing then everything branches out from there.
Now, last thing I am wondering is subnet?
the 255.255.255.0 isn't there a limit on the amount of devices on a subnet? Like, would I do better if I had the security cameras which there is 18 in all connected to like 255.255.255.0 and the rest of the devices on another subnet like 255.255.265.0
Or wouldn't that work on my setup plans?
Lastly would suggest using the #5 as a router where I can open ports or just as a access point? Not sure if opening ports on the #1 Arris will flow through to the devices requiring open ports for outside access. I am guessing it will flow through unless I make it a 2nd router rather then a access point.
I am 50% on expanding with knowledge here and have messed with my network quite a few years, just a little rusty on if doing it right for best loss of speed is all.
I will put the image below again so no one has to scroll up
network.jpg

Last edited:

ron351

May 9, 2016
Here is what it may end up like
#1 is Arris SBG6900AC Surfboard
Hardwired to 24 port gig switch
From the 24 port switch it is hard wired to (2) 8 port switches
From the (2) hard wired 8 port switches are the Netgear AC1200 extender and Netgear 4500 which may go in the garage if the Arris don't do the back yard good.
If the Arris does the back yard good then the Netgear 4500 will go on the 2nd floor hard wired.
All the cameras (14) go to the 24 port switch and (4) go to the garage 8 port switch.
Green arrows show the main flow from the Arris to the switches and the Blue lines show hard wired from the switches to the devices.
The rest will go on the wifi AC devices.
network2.jpg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Now, last thing I am wondering is subnet?
the 255.255.255.0 isn't there a limit on the amount of devices on a subnet? Like, would I do better if I had the security cameras which there is 18 in all connected to like 255.255.255.0 and the rest of the devices on another subnet like 255.255.265.0
Or wouldn't that work on my setup plans?
Subnet masks for IPv4, are four octets, that go from 0 to 255. (An 8-bit value, or Octet)

255.255.265.0 isn't a valid subnet.

You should be OK keeping all of your devices in the same subnet though, that supports up to 253 devices. (Make sure your DHCP pool is large enough, on your primary router.)

Also, if you wire #5 and #6 devices (the wifi routers/APs/extenders) into the switches, wired, then they would function as Access Points, so configure them as APs. (Disable DHCP on the secondary routers, set the SSID and password and wireless channel, assign a LAN IP to them, and connect one of their LAN ports to a switch port.)

You should then be able to log into the secondary routers, from anywhere on the LAN, using their assigned IP address.

(Make sure to set a static IP for the LAN on those secondary routers, and make their IPs something OUTSIDE of the DHCP pool on the main router.)

ron351

May 9, 2016
Subnet masks for IPv4, are four octets, that go from 0 to 255. (An 8-bit value, or Octet)

255.255.265.0 isn't a valid subnet.

You should be OK keeping all of your devices in the same subnet though, that supports up to 253 devices. (Make sure your DHCP pool is large enough, on your primary router.)

Also, if you wire #5 and #6 devices (the wifi routers/APs/extenders) into the switches, wired, then they would function as Access Points, so configure them as APs. (Disable DHCP on the secondary routers, set the SSID and password and wireless channel, assign a LAN IP to them, and connect one of their LAN ports to a switch port.)

You should then be able to log into the secondary routers, from anywhere on the LAN, using their assigned IP address.

(Make sure to set a static IP for the LAN on those secondary routers, and make their IPs something OUTSIDE of the DHCP pool on the main router.)

Excellent Larry. I understand that and Wednesday when all is here to switch over to will let you know how it went and works.
Appreciate it buddy.