CA State budget re-evalutaed. State is actually 16 billion in the hole.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Under current law they are considered citizens of the US but they really shouldn't be

Yes... ok... but if they are just like you and me and currently have all those same rights I can't agree with not providing for them as I would you or me.

Maybe it was a mistake to think we'd never have an economically induced change of position regarding who is a citizen.. but, we've defined it as it is. So it is what it is. We simply have to include that aspect in our planning and implementation. Maybe deport the parents and make the kids wards of the Courts... Not much difference cost wise... but citizens are citizens...

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
California loses 16 billion on a prediction that was faulty, no one cares. JP Morgan loses 2 billion on a prediction that was faulty? All the liberals start converging, trying to make it the next bear stearns.

Apr 27, 2012
Yes... ok... but if they are just like you and me and currently have all those same rights I can't agree with not providing for them as I would you or me.

Maybe it was a mistake to think we'd never have an economically induced change of position regarding who is a citizen.. but, we've defined it as it is. So it is what it is. We simply have to include that aspect in our planning and implementation. Maybe deport the parents and make the kids wards of the Courts... Not much difference cost wise... but citizens are citizens...

They shouldn't be citizens because there parents came here illegally. We shouldn't be caring for them at all since they consume too much resources and there parents will use them to get citizenship. The mexicans are invading this country, we dont need anymore illegals coming in. Over 30% of California is hispanic and they vote to increase welfare for illegals, this is causing a big problem for the budget.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
They shouldn't be citizens because there parents came here illegally. We shouldn't be caring for them at all since they consume too much resources and there parents will use them to get citizenship. The mexicans are invading this country, we dont need anymore illegals coming in. Over 30% of California is hispanic and they vote to increase welfare for illegals, this is causing a big problem for the budget.

That is what happens no doubt about it.

That is what happens because that is the law.

Shoulda, Coulda, and Woulda have to deal with the present condition and move from there. It is what is really really in front of us...

Folks don't solve problems with out action... Action requires votes and we don't have the vote to change much at all... So...

We deal with the hand we have. Make them all citizens for all I care but do something that makes a dire situation at least somewhat reasonable.. Far easier to control a citizen than an illegal... apparently.

Brown could create a public works project to dig a deep deep moat all around the State to keep folks in or out... fill it with all manner of hungry things...
Or maybe Clinton was right.... Make Mexico paradise and we'll all move in on them.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
California loses 16 billion on a prediction that was faulty, no one cares. JP Morgan loses 2 billion on a prediction that was faulty? All the liberals start converging, trying to make it the next bear stearns.

They're not comparable. Caifornia didn't lose 16 billion; they didn't make risky investments that went bad. Chase lost two billion recklessly and it could be much more.

Yes, all those 'liberals' on Wall Street drove down Chase stock - which I unfortunately own - trying to destroy one of the handful of too big to fail banks.

You don't know how idiotic your blathering is, do you?

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
They're not comparable. Caifornia didn't lose 16 billion; they didn't make risky investments that went bad. Chase lost two billion recklessly and it could be much more.

Yes, all those 'liberals' on Wall Street drove down Chase stock - which I unfortunately own - trying to destroy one of the handful of too big to fail banks.

You don't know how idiotic your blathering is, do you?

Oh my Gawd! Craig is in cahoots the devil hisself!

The truth comes out, all the high flying prose about how we all should be good progressives, all the scorn for those dirty bankers robbing the working man, page after page of vitriolic hate for the crooked Repugs and their love affair with corporations, and we discover that Craigs political values are a dollar deep.
Well done craig, well done indeed!

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
California follows in the footsteps of Greece..
Back in the USA, the state of California is accelerating toward much the same outcome. Suffocated by the terminal financial burden of leftist social programs, welfare handouts, runaway social services and health care costs for its millions of undocumented residents, California is also headed for its own financial implosion.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
After November's election the Democrats will have a 2/3 majority in the legislature and will be able to pass all of the tax increases their little hearts desire.

The California Republican party is completely hopeless (they haven't figured out that being socially conservative does not win elections in CA) and unfortunately they're all that's preventing CA from imploding.

Maybe its to vote for a third party?

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
This is really just a problem with whatever group is charges with doing California's revenue projections. They're incompetent.

Over here in Nevada our non-partisan Economic Forum makes conservative two-year budget projections and we're going to have more money than thought.

It's all about expectation management.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
But surely this just shows that California just isn't able to raise taxes enough, spending $16 billion more than you have every year is perfectly fine. :D

/ dimlib 'logic'