C466 too hot?

Brain Dead

Jan 27, 2000
I just got a c466 P3V4X combo and tried to O'C it to 525Mhz and was completely freaked out by the huge temp fluctuations. While running 3D Mark 2000 it would start at 34C and very rapidly shoot up to 60C setting off the CPU temp alarm and alarming me as well.
I've got the retail Intel HS on it but even then should it get that hot? I've checked that it is sitting right and it is but a mild O'C like that without touching the voltages shouldn't do that??? G'Orbs are hard to get but I have one on order but at 60C the G'Orb won't get it down to 40C! Is it the CPU dying? (It's retail right out of the box)Is it the Bios reporting incorrect temps? Please help! :Q

AndyHui

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member<br>AT FAQ M
Oct 9, 1999
It's possible that your BIOS is reading the wrong temperatures. Have you flashed to the latest BIOS?

White Widow

Jan 27, 2000
The P3V4X BIOS's are known for wild and erroneous temperature reporting. Try flashing with the new 1006 BIOS from the Asus FTP site. I still have the problem sometimes, but it's mostly better now. Also, if you are using a slocket, this may be causing the trouble.

-Aaron

Brain Dead

Jan 27, 2000
Thanks guys I though my PC was turning into a cook top. Just one thing though I can't seem to find &quot;Try flashing with the new 1006 BIOS from the Asus FTP site.&quot; BIOS 1006 doesn't seem to exist unless it's hiding. White Widow can you please get me the link. The rubbish temps I'm getting has forced me to ignore temp detection in the BIOS. :confused: