C2D Cooling Solution

Rockhound1

Dec 31, 2003
I am building a C2D system for a friend and picked up a combo deal at a local Fry's (E6300 and ECS P4800PRO-M). I know, before you start trashing the ECS motherboard, I was looking for just a stable board - no overclocking. The deal was for $160.

Anyway, the E6300 was a bare CPU, so I picked up a Thermaltake TR2-M21 RX for $20. The box said the noise produced by the cooler was 18 dBA and the fan spins at 2200 rpm. Well, the cooler sounds more like a leaf blower and the fan spins at 2700 rpm. Needless to say, I am taking it back to Fry's. The kicker about the cooler is that it isn't even cooling the CPU very well (55 C idle and 63 C load - based on readings in the bios). The E6300 should not be running this hot. By the way, I wiped the original thermal grease off the heatsink and applied AS5 to the CPU.

So far, I have everything loaded up and running on the new system. Yes, it is stable on the ECS motherboard. I just want to replace the cooler with something affordable, quiet, and efficient. I have to be careful of compatability issues (not all coolers will fit the ECS motherboard). Can you help me out by recommending a cooler that meets my needs?

On a side note, this is the first socket 775 system that I have built. I have to say that I am less than impressed with the mounting system for the cooler. The Thermaltake used push pins through four holes in the motherboard. I never was really a fan of the systems used on the AMD boards, but this has to be the worst. The cooler mounting system I like the best was for socket 478 boards.

Thnaks for your help.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
You can turn on the Q-Fan support for the stock HSF and it will only spin up when it's running hot. Idle it will spin slower and quieter. Maybe that will work for you. Beyond that Zalman and AC Freezer 7 Pro are good.

nvm I just realized you got an OEM CPU...so disregard everything I said about Q-Fan lol

thuganomics

Jul 31, 2006
For just about $15 more, you can get a Scythe Ninja Plus.
ALOT more quiet and performs same if not better.

Rockhound1

Dec 31, 2003
Originally posted by: Dingo1234
Zalman 7700 alcu

I looked at the Zalman 7700 and it will not fit the motherboard. I will look into the Freezer 7. I see that E-Wiz has it for approx $26 shipped.

Thanks.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Rockhound1
Originally posted by: Dingo1234
Zalman 7700 alcu

I looked at the Zalman 7700 and it will not fit the motherboard. I will look into the Freezer 7. I see that E-Wiz has it for approx $26 shipped.

Thanks.

avoid ewiz whatever you do

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: cmdrdredd

Thanks.

avoid ewiz whatever you do

?????????
He's right, for some things, that might need to be RMA'd, like motherboards, video cards, etc. It seems they are able to sell for less by never accepting returns, even on things that are DOA. They're fine for cooling products, though.