C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
I cleaned out my Prefetch directory one time and now it never has anything fill up in it anymore.

Is there a Windows service that controls this> Because for the harddrive I have it enabled for the Indexing Service, so I don't see how the C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch is staying empty.

THANKS

scottish144

Banned
Jul 20, 2005
Prefetch is only for commonly used programs/files. Windows monitors the frequency of use and either pre-fetches it or not. Indexing service shouldn't have anything to do with it. Also, disable the indexing and get Google Desktop unless you really need it.

DasFox

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2003
You didn't answer the question as to why it's not working, anyhow, someone said you need to have the "Task Scheduler" enabled for it to work, so I guess that's why there would be nothing in it, since I have it disabled.

Google Desktop, what the heck does this have to do with the Indexing Service, me I never use that kind of crap.

LOL ;)

imported_Phil

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2001
Don't mess with the Prefetch folder. Removing anything from there forces Windows to start optimising application startups all over again. It's yet another of those "tweaks" that sometimes does more harm than good.

imported_Phil

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2001
Originally posted by: DasFox
Google Desktop, what the heck does this have to do with the Indexing Service, me I never use that kind of crap.

Wow, way to be a) rude and b) a moron.
Google Desktop does the same job as the Indexing Service. Indexing Service is not needed for 95% of users.