C&C3 ISSUES--help needed

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
I went ahead and bought the game C&c3 -- this is my first jump into C&C since Red Alert

Install went fine - I did the newest patch prior to trying to play the game

then I got an error 7001 about not being able to start up a security module

i figure it has something to do with alcohol 120% or daemon tools

i uninstalled alcohol and ran registry mechanic

rebooted

same thing...

uninstalled nero as it has the image drive appi in it

rebooted and same thing -- error 7001

I'm at work right now and can't test out different things til i get home

but if you have experience with this issue please give me some help -- I'm dying to game again

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
C&C 3 uses Sony's SecuROM DRM. You must uninstall all of your virtual drive software. Use add/remove programs to take care of them, then download and run the duplex secure SPTD installer and see if "Uninstall" is grayed out or not. If it is not grayed out, then click uninstall, otherwise close the program. The SPTD is used by both Daemon Tools and Alcohol and sometimes is not uninstalled with the program itself.

SecuROM blacklists SPTD (Daemon Tools, Alcohol, maybe others) as well as other virtual drive programs. Also, if you have ran Microsoft's Process Explorer at all since your last reboot, you will have to restart your PC again because SecuROM blacklists that application as well.

DuplexSecure's SPTD download:
http://www.duplexsecure.com/downloads

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
I'm frustrated and pissed off -- its still not working

I'm going to try a fresh install and if that doesn't work I'm returning it

I did the uninstall of SPTD and nothing

uninstalled the couple of image mounting progs on my computer

restarted a few times

nadda

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
I had the same problem with a game I purchased. I refuse to uninstall anything because game devs are drakonian in their efforts. So I "found" something that "quote" does something to the program that "quote" allows me to play a game I own the way I want to....

Question? Can someone get in trouble for mentioning a piece of software like Yasu? I am not actually mentioning Yasu mind you, but asking if naming a piece of software "like" yasu can get me in toruble? just a question :p

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
Originally posted by: nefariouscaine
I'm frustrated and pissed off -- its still not working

I'm going to try a fresh install and if that doesn't work I'm returning it

I did the uninstall of SPTD and nothing

uninstalled the couple of image mounting progs on my computer

restarted a few times

nadda

I installed CC3 no problems with SPTD and Daemon tools running.

Might be alcohol then

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
ok so i just got done playing it for my first few hours after a fresh install -- prepatch so we'll see how that goes...

sweet game -- love the graphics on the 24" WS

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
So what ended up being the problem?

I had SPTD and Daemon installed when I installed C&C3 and while all patches were applied, and no issues. I'm not sure why some people have problems but others don't. I only use and have installed Daemon, so can't speak for other programs. Very few games have given me crap about it. If they do, the newest version of Daemon usually fixes that (by the time it happens to me, a newer version is usually out).

But it is ridiculous when they pull crap like that. I don't understand how they think they can dictate what software I have on my computer (that isn't required obviously, not DirectX, Steam, .NET framework, etc).when I buy their product.

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
Originally posted by: duragezic
So what ended up being the problem?

I had SPTD and Daemon installed when I installed C&C3 and while all patches were applied, and no issues. I'm not sure why some people have problems but others don't. I only use and have installed Daemon, so can't speak for other programs. Very few games have given me crap about it. If they do, the newest version of Daemon usually fixes that (by the time it happens to me, a newer version is usually out).

But it is ridiculous when they pull crap like that. I don't understand how they think they can dictate what software I have on my computer (that isn't required obviously, not DirectX, Steam, .NET framework, etc).when I buy their product.

been playing just fine now but i'm still prepatch...

i'd uninstalled daemon and alcohol -- then did a reinstall...

was thinking about almost doing a new clean windows partition and using linux for non gaming/music stuff

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
I did the newest patch and now it doesn't want to load due to the security issue...

I might have thought about trying Yasu and that might have changed the error from being 7001 to now saying 5023

blah...

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
I'm confused...

I swear I've uninstalled every virtual drive -- ran the SPTD uninstall and it still won't run after I patch it.

wait...

I'd reinstalled Nero and it has a image drive...

ah heck - I'm going to play with partitions when I get home and think about doing a Game Partition install of windows...

tried to get loading Ubuntu before I left for work but didn't have time - replacing my non-functional Mint install(couldn't load the nvidia drivers for my 8800)

really I hate this... If I wanted to play a version 1.0 I'd just find a hacked version of the game and not pay for it...

pcnerd37

Sep 20, 2004
hmm, I have daemon tools installed and have no problems. I would just say your computer hates you.

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
Originally posted by: pcnerd37
hmm, I have daemon tools installed and have no problems. I would just say your computer hates you.

it might...

I doubt it though as I'm always buying it nice new shinny parts

it just doesn't play after I update the game...

nefariouscaine

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2006
I went in there to look around for any reg entries for alcohol or daemon tools -- found alcohol and removed it

gonna try to remove the virtual drives from the list