C&C Red Alert 3

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 9, 2007
Hoho the weakest title in the C&C franchise?! What did they put into your coffee? Generals+Zero Hour is one of the best C&C RTS games. At least it still has a sense of base building and building armies. Not just ADD rushing to the next best skirmish. And it tried to get thescale of the units somewhat right.
C&C3 had way less destroyable terrain/map objects, silly looking units, and less base building.
Red Alert 3 has even less focus on base building which is very sad
If you like it or not, the C&C universe always gave the option to starve the enemy out of their resources with a strong base and then start to attack. This all changed when WC3 was as successful as it was and developers basically got rid of walls, turrets and defensive structures.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
Originally posted by: frythecpuofbender
Just download the free mod RISE OF THE REDS for C&C Generals.
http://rotr.cncreneclips.com/
Way better and more important: STAYS TRUE TO THE ORIGINAL GAME as in: No funny looking, bloated, kiddy-candy units or titty-showing cutscenes. The mod is still in beta, but it's done by the same team which did C&C: Shockwave so they are pros. Can't say the same for the EA LA team.

I thought the original Red Alert was all about funky units and sex appeal (look at Tanya). It was Tiberian Dawn that tried to portray realism. Red Alert was always a more layed back fun approach that didn't attempt to add much realism.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Hoho the weakest title in the C&C franchise?! What did they put into your coffee? Generals+Zero Hour is one of the best C&C RTS games. At least it still has a sense of base building and building armies. Not just ADD rushing to the next best skirmish. And it tried to get thescale of the units somewhat right.
C&C3 had way less destroyable terrain/map objects, silly looking units, and less base building.
If you like it or not, the C&C universe always gave the option to starve the enemy out of their resources with a strong base and then start to attack. This all changed when WC3 was as successful as it was and developers basically got rid of walls, turrets and defensive structures.

Generals was a pile of trash, it just looks good compared to the two larger piles of trash more recently released. Generals was never a true c&c game, as a stand alone series i think it wouldve been fine but the fact they stuck the c&c label on it and tried to pass it off to the tiberian and red alert fans at the time as a c&c game was absolute BS, especially considering its lackluster campaign and boring gameplay.

The fact you state generals + zero hour as one of the the best is just crazy lol. The campaign for either game sucked, thats a fact. As for the online play... its taken community patches to fix the most serious bugs like the scud bug, and well the super weapon general which isnt a bug but christ what were they thinking!? Free fuel air bombs on planes that are invincible until theyve dropped the bomb?! EMP turrets that take down other planes in a single shot and disable vehicles with 1 shot.... Yeah extremely unfair, you would think EA might have learned from yuris faction being a bit overpowered, apparently not.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004

Generals was a pile of trash, it just looks good compared to the two larger piles of trash more recently released. Generals was never a true c&c game, as a stand alone series i think it wouldve been fine but the fact they stuck the c&c label on it and tried to pass it off to the tiberian and red alert fans at the time as a c&c game was absolute BS, especially considering its lackluster campaign and boring gameplay.

The fact you state generals + zero hour as one of the the best is just crazy lol. The campaign for either game sucked, thats a fact. As for the online play... its taken community patches to fix the most serious bugs like the scud bug, and well the super weapon general which isnt a bug but christ what were they thinking!? Free fuel air bombs on planes that are invincible until theyve dropped the bomb?! EMP turrets that take down other planes in a single shot and disable vehicles with 1 shot.... Yeah extremely unfair, you would think EA might have learned from yuris faction being a bit overpowered, apparently not.

Originally posted by: Martimus
I thought the original Red Alert was all about funky units and sex appeal (look at Tanya). It was Tiberian Dawn that tried to portray realism. Red Alert was always a more layed back fun approach that didn't attempt to add much realism.

Nah red alert 1 was pretty serious, it was red alert 2 that was more laid back. Which honestly i didnt mind, it was a really cool game, lots of fun just as long as they fixed the storyline somehow (westwood were working on a game for this). Apparently the RA1 chronosphere created an alternate timeline and that was to be RA2, but that game never saw light and westwood was closed.

wota

Nov 25, 2008
I borrowed the game from a friend, but i don't really feel like playing it through. I just want to watch all the movies/cutscenes and return the game. Is there a trainer out there that lets you complete or skip missions? Or can someone give me a saved game with all the movies unlocked?
:/

thanks.

edit:
nvm, i'm just gonna watch all the cutscenes off youtube. lol. :)

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Did I miss something? RA3 seems to be 30 dollars now on Steam. Wasn't it 50 USD only this morning?

Edit - Screw it, bought it for 30 USD. I don't seen any Steam news announcements in the Steam client. Maybe it was a mistake? Either way, my receipt says 29.99.

nukeman8

Dec 16, 2008
completely agree with Maximilian the first red alert was very serious, so was tiberium sun.
Generals is where the the whole C&C series fell apart.
Red alert 3 is fun to play but nowhere near as much as the others
EA have made a joke out of it all, armoured bears, nerdy little schoolgirls its all been dumb down so it trys to appeal to everyone.

The only thing that red alert 3 has in common with the other games is the wicked sound track and some of the cut scenes

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Yes, it's $30. At that price... I might buy it too, and I didn't have much interest in playing

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: nukeman8
completely agree with Maximilian the first red alert was very serious, so was tiberium sun.
EA have made a joke out of it all, armoured bears, nerdy little schoolgirls its all been dumb down so it trys to appeal to everyone.

The only thing that red alert 3 has in common with the other games is the wicked sound track and some of the cut scenes

They're trying to change the formula, which is a little stale you have to admit. I'd rather they focus on gameplay than "seriousness" or whatever.

I haven't played RA3 yet, but I did like Generals. The gameplay is great

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: nukeman8

I like the goofiness that was in Red Alert 2. The alliance side was fairly normal, but the soviets were hilarious. Fake accent, retarded plots, it was awesome.

I'll buy Red Alert 3 when I'm done with a few other games. Hopefully it will $20 by then, just like what I paid for RA2 with the Yuri expansion :D

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Played the first two missions in the Soviet campaign. I think I liked C&C3 better, but I haven't got into any of the base building aspects yet.

The zoom functions in Supreme Commander have really spoiled me though. More RTS games need zoom like that.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
The Soviet and Japanese campaigns are generally quite easy and most of the missions can be beaten without thinking much at all. The Allied one is much harder though (and more interesting).

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Originally posted by: Kromis
Am I the only person here who prefers C&C3 over RA3? (Besides EvilComputer92)

Uhh.... No. You missed my post.

I don't know why some people here bash Generals. It was a good game if you are willing to ignore the green "alien" looking infantry. The gfx were very good for that time, and the gameplay was very fun, especially in multilayer. People need to learn to move on. Look, I am not a fan of EA too, but just because a game is made by EA doesn't mean it sucks.

I think it's awesome that some people out there are still making mods for Generals trying to make it better and more interesting.

As for C&C3, it saddens me to see that some people are refusing to give this game credit. It is a very well done, polished game. (which I cant say for Kane's Wrath) It is not in any way worse than any game made by westwood, except for maybe RA2 and Tiberian sun which were so damn good, that I dont believe anything can touch them. I really wish there was a remake of Tiberian Sun and Firestorm with C&C3 gfx.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Have been looking at the sales.
According to most sites it had a huge blast at opening, then trickled off quickly.
I suspect that may have something to do with the bevy of babes in the promo videos.

Dont think I'll get it even though it is now $29.99 on STEAM.

HOLY CRAP!
The Demo is 2700 megs :Q