C&C First Decade online accounts

evolvedbullet

Mar 11, 2006
Since EA was a douche and bought out Westwood, the system the makes and manages the accounts for the Westwood games no longer exists I believe. I can't make accounts to play online. For example, I wanted to play Red Alert 2 online, maybe alittle World Domination. I need to make an account from Westwood.com or something of that nature but it can not find the page. Is their a way EA anticipated this? And if so, how can I fix this problem? Thank you/

acheron

Diamond Member
May 27, 2008
Knowing EA, their solution is probably "buy Red Alert 3".

The EA site for the First Decade (Text) does say online play is supported for RA2 (there's an "online play information" box at the bottom of the page, then go to "service update"), but gives no details.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
I think the RA2 online component was taken over by some XWIS thing, and you can make an account via them... i dont know though its been a while since i last played.

evolvedbullet

Mar 11, 2006
I clicked on the bottom of the screen of that website on ONLINE INFORMATION and on Service Update. Some of the games require 'IPX' to play, plus I need to make an account for some of the games, like Red Alert 2. I have no idea on how to make accounts for these old games that would allow me to play online.

I have not checked the idea Maximilian suggested yet. (Attempting now..)

I searched IPX and got alot of information on various meanings of IPX but I'm confused on the one that EA is trying to mention.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: evolvedbullet
I clicked on the bottom of the screen of that website on ONLINE INFORMATION and on Service Update. Some of the games require 'IPX' to play, plus I need to make an account for some of the games, like Red Alert 2. I have no idea on how to make accounts for these old games that would allow me to play online.

I have not checked the idea Maximilian suggested yet. (Attempting now..)

I searched IPX and got alot of information on various meanings of IPX but I'm confused on the one that EA is trying to mention.

IPX is an old way of doing LAN games i think. Only RA1 used that and maybe C&C1, both those games used the "Westwood Online" program to play multiplayer on the internet, i think it still works if you install westwood online and try playing through that, might be noone online though.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
I suggest Hamachi

It creates a virtual LAN so you can play with friends or even random people.

They have a site where you can schedule matches and find opponents.

http://www.planethamachi.com

Click on Download on top, and get the latest client.

Here's a guide to get it all working:

http://logmeinwiki.com/wiki/Hamachi:Gaming_over_Hamachi

Note, that Hamachi DOES NOT support all games out there. Not by a long shot. But it supports many, including the ones you want to play. Not sure about the original S&C: Tiberian Dawn though...

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
All of the older C&C games work over Hamachi on XP. It's a little tricky to set up IPX properly in XP, but it can be done (inexplicably, all the games up to RA2 only supported IPX for LAN play, not TCP). Vista does not support IPX though. There is a fanmade TCP patch floating around for some of the games, but I was running into some stability problems with that.