Byuing a used gfx card. Bad idea?

TheJM

Apr 30, 2008
So i'm gonna build my own computer (Gigabytep35-DS3L+e8400+4gig ram)for poker+pokersoftware+music+video and want to play spore when it comes out. Might want to play a nonMMo RPG as well. Im not going to play FirstPersonShoters.

Came across an ad for a used 8800gts, specs foundHERE

It's a bit under half new price and he claims to have used it for about a year. So my question is: what happens to gfx cards after one year. Are they still reliable or is there significant wear and tear? Does this depend from card to card? If I decide to buy it I am going to have him test it first to show that it works. How should I test this?

If there are other cards you know of that might fit my budget ($90) please say so!

--TheJM

edit: this LINKis the card im going to buy at the moment if not the above or other suggestions. is this too bad? my budget could be upgraded but i'd have to be convinced it'd be the right thing.

Jax Omen

Golden Member
Mar 14, 2008
He's flat-out lying, that card has only been out for 6 months.

He's probably trying to sell you the older G80 GTS.

Narse

Moderator<br>Computer Help
Mar 14, 2000
Just so you know the 8600GT is not a very good gaming card, a 8800GTS 320mb or 640 MB would be much much faster and that is more than likely the GTS he is trying to sell.

Lithan

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2004
Yeah, my guess is he's selling a 320Meggts... which sell NEW for ~ $90-110 these days. May also be a 640meg GTS which sell for ~$175 but arent even close to worth it (Doubt anyone buys em).

You should buy an 8800gs, it's just a little bit overbudget and big improvement over that 8600 you're looking at.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/...x?Item=N82E16814130333

It performs about the same as a 320meg gts, but it's new, uses less power, runs cooler, has a warranty (lifetime in the one I linked's case) and is probably cheaper than what he's selling that GTS for.

TheJM

Apr 30, 2008
Lithan,
Urtho recommended the same card to me in another thread but im having trouble finding it for sale in norway.
However, your suggestion has made me more sure I need to spend a bit more and find a card more similar to these suggestions.

All,
I was a bit suspicious and decided to come here to confirm/deny my thoughts.I will take your advice and NOT buy the card.
I wont be saying why to the guy so he doesnt know what part of his story to adjust to try and scam another buyer.

Further, thanks to all of you for making my decision making easier, and there's a pretty big chance I'll come back for your opinions at a later point when I've browsed some more cards and narrowed it down to a couple or three.

--TheJM

edit:LINK I can only find this version of the mentioned card. It is not the superclocked one. It does fit my budget however.