By your powers combined, I am GAMING ALLIANCE!

Pugnate

Jun 25, 2006
http://kotaku.com/355751/micro...orm-pc-gaming-alliance

And the name they came up with was "Gaming Alliance"?? What the hell sort of a stupid name is that? What are we, three years old? :p

I also have to say, that while this should be good news, I am weary. As one of the people in the comments section said, let's hope this doesn't turn PC gaming into what is basically console gaming.

I'd rather see this sorta thing involve Valve, than Microsoft.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Three hardware makers who are in direct competition with each other, and microsoft who many would say is actively trying to kill off pc gaming. This is some sort of PR stunt at best.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I doubt its going to go anywhere to say the least. I'd like to think Microsoft isn't killing off PC Gaming, but w/e.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Microsoft is now talking up PC Gaming after pissing all over it for the last 7 years because they have a new operating system to sell. If they had their way, they'd just make the PC Gaming platform a more expensive version the xbox 360...with all the same games and probably a per unit charge for the "Games for Windows" moniker on your game box.

milesl

Oct 11, 2004
This is probably to promote vista by having the hardware manufacturers discontinue drivers for windows XP.They tried to do this with directx 10 and games for windows already but are not having much success having all gamers switch to vista.This is the next logical step.
The only thing I expect from it is a higher price for a special gaming alliance logo on hardware and software that tells you it works with games for windows on windows vista only, and is meant to be played with nvidia and intel,amd hardware.

TheVrolok

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Originally posted by: PingSpike
Microsoft is now talking up PC Gaming after pissing all over it for the last 7 years because they have a new operating system to sell. If they had their way, they'd just make the PC Gaming platform a more expensive version the xbox 360...with all the same games and probably a per unit charge for the "Games for Windows" moniker on your game box.

Agreed.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
I know it is not too popular here, but I kindof hope they can come up with some anti piracy solution(I know nothing could be 100%), but if they could just make it very difficult so that you can't just jump online and download a torrent of a game, make people buy it.

If they can do something like that, game rentals could become possible. I think if they found a way to rent PC games it would be the perfect "shot in the arm", but because it is so easy to copy and just save to your HDD, it makes it impossible.

I'd love to go rent some games that I have never played before.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
"They'll be hoping to lure big-name developers and publishers back to the PC"

Sweet, but in contrast to that i think they should work towards pushing EA away from the platform and onto the consoles, they wrecked our franchises it would be funny to see what they would do to halo/GoW etc :p Seriously though they should push EA away, theyve done enough damage already.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Meaningless fluff at its worst. Ask the companies involved about this in a year's time and their reaction will be :confused:

I4AT

Platinum Member
Oct 28, 2006
Originally posted by: Soviet
"They'll be hoping to lure big-name developers and publishers back to the PC"

Sweet, but in contrast to that i think they should work towards pushing EA away from the platform and onto the consoles, they wrecked our franchises it would be funny to see what they would do to halo/GoW etc :p Seriously though they should push EA away, theyve done enough damage already.

I'd rather see the big name developers and publishers keep their shit releases on consoles and see a flux of no-name and indie devs getting more support. One of the few games I've played through and enjoyed from start to finish in the past few years was Alien Shooter Vengeance, which I stumbled across by accident because it was <$5 at CC.

Here's what John Carmack had to say about PowerPlay back in 2000:

"I had a long talk with a couple people from Valve about the PowerPlay initiative, but they couldn't give me enough specific technical details for me to endorse it. I'm all for improvements in networking infrastructure, but at this point, there isn't anything actually there, just an intention to improve gaming. They need to tell me SPECIFICALLY what I am supposed to be endorsing. At some point, bits have to go into packets and routers need to make decisions on them. Changes at that level is what I want to hear about, not strategic company relationships."

toughwimp11

May 8, 2005
i was so happy when i first saw this. who knows, maybe at some point in the future, gta will release on pc at the same time as xbox and ps