By enabling AHCI for my SSD, am I losing out on TRIM?

SickBeast

Lifer
Jul 21, 2000
I was just reading that this is the case aside from on Intel motherboards with the latest drivers.

I'm running an OCZ Vertex 2 on an AMD 770 chipset motherboard. I've currently got AHCI enabled with the Microsoft driver, and I have TRIM turned on. Is it really working? I'm reading that TRIM isn't possible under AHCI on an AMD setup.

Should I go back to IDE mode?

Here is a link:

http://www.servethehome.com/ocz-vertex-120gb-updated-raid-0-benchmarks-intel-rst/

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
IIRC, vertex 2 use sandforce, and that don't really need the TRIM command, it does it automagically.

May 29, 2010
I was just reading that this is the case aside from on Intel motherboards with the latest drivers.

I'm running an OCZ Vertex 2 on an AMD 770 chipset motherboard. I've currently got AHCI enabled with the Microsoft driver, and I have TRIM turned on. Is it really working? I'm reading that TRIM isn't possible under AHCI on an AMD setup.

Should I go back to IDE mode?

http://www.servethehome.com/ocz-vertex-120gb-updated-raid-0-benchmarks-intel-rst/

The trim command support with your setup comes from the MSAHCI (Microsoft AHCI) "driver". Thusly, trim should be working fine. Microsoft's IDE driver also supports trim, but AHCI mode is a better choice for performance.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Why would using AHCI cause you to lose TRIM? I run all of my SSDs in AHCI mode and TRIM works on all of them.

Btw Sickbeast, did you check whether you have the 25nm or 34nm version of the Vertex 2?

de8212

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2000
I'm not familiar with TRIM. Since i run the Crucial C300 and I installed W7 with AHCI enabled in the BIOS, what do I need to do to see if TRIM is on/enabled/running/whatever?

May 29, 2010
I'm not familiar with TRIM. Since i run the Crucial C300 and I installed W7 with AHCI enabled in the BIOS, what do I need to do to see if TRIM is on/enabled/running/whatever?

run (as admin)

fsutil behavior query DisableDeleteNotify

If the result is '0' TRIM is enabled.