Buying Steam Keys from 3rd Party Websites. Safe?

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
So I just bought Factorio for Steam. Thing is I bought it from eBay. I've done this several times before since Battlefield 3 came out as well as bought CD Keys from G2A and other similar online websites/stores.

My concern is that I was reading online recently that people have had their Steam accounts Banned or Closed because they had bought a Steam key from a 3rd party seller and was worried this would happen to me.

Can steam close your account for buying a Steam Key on eBay (NOT VPN) Region Free key? I have done it before like I said but I just have this bad feeling about it all of the sudden.

Sorry if this is not in the right part of the Forums.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Don't worry about it. If steam would do that,they needed to ban 90% of accounts. Including mine. G2a rocks, lower prices, games works like I would buy them on steam. Go play and have fun and stop worrying for nothing.
Okay if you say so! haha
Lets say my account did get closed for this reason. Would I be able to open a case with Steam or Valve and dispute it? I guess I'll just stop worrying about it.

I am waiting on the seller to send my Key. Can't wait to play Factorio the Demo was great! I need a break from FPS games! but I already put in 150 hours on Stardew Valley in my first 2 weeks so yea I needed something new! Can't wait to get my key! :)

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Grey market keys can be, and have been, removed from accounts (with no refunds). Not sure if anybody has ever been banned from Steam for it, though.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Grey market keys can be, and have been, removed from accounts (with no refunds). Not sure if anybody has ever been banned from Steam for it, though.
EDITED:
So basically the game would be removed from the account but they wouldn't necessarily close down the account. That's good news! Lets hope its true!

I guess I should have bought Factorio for $20 directly from Steam.

Last edited:

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
They could close your account, but I haven't heard of it happening. It's in the SSA. You have no recourse either way.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
They could close your account, but I haven't heard of it happening. It's in the SSA. You have no recourse either way.
I edited my earlier reply and made it shorter.

Have you bought Grey market Keys before?

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Yea grey market keys while somewhat controversial when you talk in forums, generally aren't issues. The only thing you sometimes need to be careful of is regional keys as they sometimes get locked out if you use them in the wrong region.

Let's hope Steam never does crack down on them though as I think half my library would disappear.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I just messaged the Seller on eBay asking him to cancel the Order for me. I have too much to lose on Steam if the game was Stolen for whatever reason specially after reading the Terms and Conditions and rules and guidelines that can get an Account Suspended. I'd rather not take any chances. Lets just hope the seller is kind enough and issues a full refund because its practically up to him if he wants to do it since he hasn't emailed me the Key yet.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5406-WFZC-5519

Just going to buy Factorio straight from Steam! after the refund.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
I have never heard of steam closing/banning an account because they were using keys from other sources other than steam.
Yeah, they do act on region locked games, but, other than that, at worst, they will just remove the game.

They also do a temp ban on accounts if you enter a wrong/invalid/already used key, but, that don't last that long.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Awesome! The seller just gave me a refund!

What is Better Rimworld? or Factorio? what other suggestions are there? I really liked Prison Architect but after 35 hours of playing it I found it boring. As stated above I really enjoyed Stardew Valley.
What can you guys suggest? I am trying to veer off from FPS games for a little while, have plenty of those already.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
It's not that the game is stolen, but the keys are purchased with stolen credit cards. When the cards are reported stolen and the charges are reversed, the keys are revoked. If it happens a lot, they will likely ban your account.

I know they will ban or restrict your account if you chargeback.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/4mrd7k/steam_chargebacks/
So this guys on eBay is selling Steam accounts for Cheap! and I mean dirt cheap. What he does he activates a Single game on the account and sells 1 account with 1 game in it so you are getting a very good deal on 1 game basically. Remember 1 game per account is what he is selling, this is a few games that he has.
Rimworld (Steam Account) $12
Subnautica (Steam Account) $6.75
Quantum Break (Steam Account) $13.50

The seller is from Russia or in Russia according to his eBay information but states that the games/accounts are REGION Free and English! If someone were to buy 1 account from him.....could they get arrested? or Fined or a Fee? if that person who bought it got caught?

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
On a serious note.
This is what I did. I bought Factorio yesterday I didn't like it so I asked for a refund yesterday. I ended up canceling the Refund request last night out of Impulse and wrong reasoning and decided to try the game again to see if I liked it. I don't like the game at all so I requested a Refund again.

I am worried that because I canceled the first Refund request and asked for a Second refund request on the same game that it will be denied? However I only have 1 hour total in the game!

Will they allow me to get a refund? and how long does it take for them to "Approve it"?

Last edited:

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
72 hours i think

Just got my refund! that was super quick! Glad Steam allows refunds. It said that the money should be back on my bank in 14 days.
Weird thing is that I still have the game I refunded on my Library? it hasn't deleted itself?

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I stay away from grey market, besides Steam does sales very often so what's wrong with that?

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
So this guys on eBay is selling Steam accounts for Cheap! and I mean dirt cheap. What he does he activates a Single game on the account and sells 1 account with 1 game in it so you are getting a very good deal on 1 game basically. Remember 1 game per account is what he is selling, this is a few games that he has.
Rimworld (Steam Account) $12
Subnautica (Steam Account) $6.75
Quantum Break (Steam Account) $13.50

The seller is from Russia or in Russia according to his eBay information but states that the games/accounts are REGION Free and English! If someone were to buy 1 account from him.....could they get arrested? or Fined or a Fee? if that person who bought it got caught?

The only thing that will happen is what I explained previously. The game will be removed from the account.

Those games were likely purchased with stolen credit cards.