buying refurbished hard drives?

MuffD

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
Don't do it. They're cheap enough nowadays that it just doesn't make sense to do this.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I'd never do it. Unless you're a voyeur and want to look at what people have on their HD before they "erased it."

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Definately nay. Go over to the Hot Deals forum - there's a 500 gig drive for like $80!!

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: RichardE
Originally posted by: Baked
I'd never do it. Unless you're a voyeur and want to look at what people have on their HD before they "erased it."

On that note...if you format a hd..than rewrite it to full capacity does that usually ensure it is gone gone?

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

On that note...if you format a hd..than rewrite it to full capacity does that usually ensure it is gone gone?

No

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats

No

Well damn..

You sure? :(

Feb 17, 2005
data will be "gone gone" on a hard drive when you introduce it to a 12 gauge or a drill bit. theres more options to making data "gone gone".

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: suicidalpigeon
data will be "gone gone" on a hard drive when you introduce it to a 12 gauge or a drill bit. theres more options to making data "gone gone".

like? :D

Reckoner

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004

Hard Drive? Meet Sledge Hammer :evil:

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
Originally posted by: PaulNEPats

Hard Drive? Meet Sledge Hammer :evil:

D'oh... well that sucks :(

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
My refurbed Hittachi 120 gigger is still going strong after 4 years so :p
Almost everything in my house is refurbed so :p
And thanks to people like in this thread who wont buy refurb keeps the prices on such down really cheap to where I can can afford the good stuff :D