Buying phone from Amazon/BB/etc?

aleckz

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2004
I currently have a Verizon phone, without a data plan, but I'm considering purchasing a Droid X and I was wondering if there were any differences if I purchased a phone through another provider. I realize that there has to be more than just a price difference, so what should I be concerned about?

Other notes:
- I am on a family plan
- Eligible for new contract
- Likes long walks on sunny beaches?

nsafreak

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2001
I can't tell you all of the pros and cons but the biggest thing to be aware of is that if you sign up through BB/Amazon/etc they will typically have their own commitment that is in addition to the commitment that you'll be signing up to with Verizon. With Amazon it's 180 days I don't know what it is with Best Buy. However in return you'll typically be able to get the phone you want from them cheaper than what you would if you went through Verizon directly instead. I don't view it as a huge negative myself since I have no reason to believe that I'll be leaving Verizon within 180 days after having service with them for over 10 years. I did a quick price check for you between Amazon & Best Buy. Best Buy charges $199.99 for the Droid X while Amazon charges $119.99 for the Droid X. For some odd reason they charge less for it if you're on an individual plan. I'm guessing it has something to do with commissions. I'd probably recommend getting it from Amazon unless you can get it cheaper from another reputable retailer. Personally I ordered the Droid Incredible through Amazon myself.

sivart

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2000
If you aren't the primary on the family plan make sure you are an account manager. If you aren't, you can't make any changes to your plan, phone, etc.

XLNC

Jan 18, 2008
Wow, I came here to ask this EXACT same question. I'm also on a family plan (I'm primary) and am eligible for a contract and am considering the Droid X thru Amazon. Freaky.

..if you sign up through BB/Amazon/etc they will typically have their own commitment that is in addition to the commitment that you'll be signing up to with Verizon. With Amazon it's 180 days I don't know what it is with Best Buy.

I looked into this further, and it seems to be 181 days now. Just to be clear, it doesn't mean you have to stay 2 years plus another 180 days as I initially thought. It just means if you cancel within 181 days, you'll have to pay early termination to both Verizon AND Amazon. If you cancel after 181 days, you will only have to pay Verizon.

This is a great deal. It sounded so good that, I bit the bullet and bought it.... just now... when I was typing this reply. I'm so weak willed. Will update this thread and let you know how it goes.

Last edited:

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Honestly? I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a curren-gen phone. New stuff right around the corner.

aleckz

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2004
Wow, I came here to ask this EXACT same question. I'm also on a family plan (I'm primary) and am eligible for a contract and am considering the Droid X thru Amazon. Freaky.

I looked into this further, and it seems to be 181 days now. Just to be clear, it doesn't mean you have to stay 2 years plus another 180 days as I initially thought. It just means if you cancel within 181 days, you'll have to pay early termination to both Verizon AND Amazon. If you cancel after 181 days, you will only have to pay Verizon.

This is a great deal. It sounded so good that, I bit the bullet and bought it.... just now... when I was typing this reply. I'm so weak willed. Will update this thread and let you know how it goes.

Glad my post could assist you as well! Please inform us how it goes, I'm thinking about ordering this week from Amazon, just have to see if they'll do multiphone deals.

new stuff is always right around the corner.

My thoughts exactly, that and the release of the new Samsung phone and it only being a single-core, I think I'm tired of waiting.

XLNC

Jan 18, 2008
Honestly? I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a curren-gen phone. New stuff right around the corner.

Yeah, I thought about that too. When it comes to phones, I've never been a latest gen guy. This phone is going to be much more than I need. And the fact that my current phone (LG Voyager) is smashed to pieces also factored into buying now.

I should be getting the phone tomorrow. Will update once I get it activated.

salvorhardin

Jan 30, 2003
Ordered a new family plan from amazon two weeks ago. No changes can be made on your verizon account for the 181 days. You can't add any corporate discount for the 181 days to the account. I had to call twice to verify this, since when i first emailed them was told I could add my corporate discount. It was still worth it for me since I got the phone for free and didn't have to pay sales tax on the msrp.

Funyuns101

Platinum Member
Jun 15, 2002
Ordered a new family plan from amazon two weeks ago. No changes can be made on your verizon account for the 181 days. You can't add any corporate discount for the 181 days to the account. I had to call twice to verify this, since when i first emailed them was told I could add my corporate discount. It was still worth it for me since I got the phone for free and didn't have to pay sales tax on the msrp.

salvordhardin, was the process pretty pain free?
i'm looking to upgrade and amazon has really cheap prices.
i did notice that just extending one's contract does NOT receive big discounts (free).

salvorhardin

Jan 30, 2003
i did notice that just extending one's contract does NOT receive big discounts (free).

I did a new contract since I was transferring from att. On verizon family plans I couldn't port my numbers on the webpage and had to call verizon to port the numbers. The whole process was done on the web, only called to find out if using a corporate discount would affect the contract with amazon. When you call it's a direct line and was on hold for under 5 minutes(on saturday and sunday morning). Most of my information was already filled in since I was logged into my amazon account and had to fill in the more personal info. Ordered the plan on sunday 11-21 and received my phones on 11-24. So far I've been happy with the service. Looked at B&M stores and letstalk but went with amazon since overall it was cheaper. I bought a samsung fascinate and samsung convoy.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
I believe the BB deals apply to extensions as well, though.

Dulanic

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2000
new stuff is always right around the corner.

Im with you. I hear all the time how "new stuff" is coming out.... new stuff is ALWAYS coming out. If you don't upgrade because of newer stuff "around the corner" you will never own a phone. Phones are being upgraded nearly every few months.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
BB doesn't have their own contract like wirefly or amazon. Salesperson made a point of it. That said, if you get a salesperson that knows what they're doing it's very painless.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
If you don't upgrade because of newer stuff "around the corner" you will never own a phone.
Didn't say you shouldn't. But you should never pay anywhere near release price at this point in the cycle. Over $100 today for a Droid X? Too much.

XLNC

Jan 18, 2008
So I got the phone today, and activation was a snap. Three mintures on the phone with Verizon rep and it was activated. My existing plan didn't change and most importantly, my corporate discount was automatically applied to the newly added data plan.

Though everything went smoothly, I think s44 might be right. I did a spot check and I found Droid X for $80 at Newegg, thru Cellstores.com. To the OP, if you're not in a hurry like I was, maybe it's worth waiting a couple of weeks to see where the deals go.