Buying Online Vs B&M

igloo15

Jun 2, 2004
I am buying a new computer soon and looking for a second monitor to put next to my current 24" 1920 by 1200. I also in the future looking to be getting a 40"+ LCD tv for my living room.

Normally I never buy monitors or TVs online and opt instead for B&M stores. I don't know something about the fragility of these components and the possibilities of problems in quality have led me to do this.

That said as I am looking at prices and even availability of 1920 by 1200 monitors I am left wondering if maybe I should buy online. Amazon and Newegg are some of the places I have been looking at monitors and TVs and I was wondering what people's experiences are like ordering these parts and having them delivered from online stores.

Also the delivery experiences with some bigger TVs like 40 to 46" with online retailers. Is it like UPS drop it on your porch with a signature and you do the rest or will they actually come in and drop it in your living room.

Anyways thanks for any replys!

MagickMan

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2008
Newegg's return policy on bad pixels is shit. I went with ZipZoomFly because theirs is more accommodating and I paid the same amount of money.

Peppered

Jul 3, 2009
I believe crutchfield or however you spell it has a service when you buy a TV or stereo in is brought into your home and set up.

One big point about buying from a B&M type store is that you pay a lot in tax. If ya buy something for a few dollars it doesn't mean much but when you start spending a hundred or more it really adds up. You have to be careful of shipping cost though on heavy items the shipping cost can out way the tax saving sometimes.

As far as getting good support for returns that will vary by online stores you just need to read there return policy carefully.

There are some B&M stores that are harder to deal with on returns than some online stores too.

igloo15

Jun 2, 2004
So I buying online as long as you check the return policy isn't that bad compared to buying at a Brick and Mortar store. I always thought that buying things like Monitors from Online retailers was a bad idea but I guess things have matured enough to do it.

jdjbuffalo

Oct 26, 2000
So I buying online as long as you check the return policy isn't that bad compared to buying at a Brick and Mortar store. I always thought that buying things like Monitors from Online retailers was a bad idea but I guess things have matured enough to do it.

It comes down to the return policy and the shipping.

I've been researching buying a new Plasma TV for my living room and from what I've seen from other people's comments is that Amazon has a great white glove shipping option. This is from their website:
Most customers can now schedule their own delivery day--including weekends--and a two- to four-hour window for delivery (dependent upon Zip Code) with a common carrier when they purchase select HDTVs 36 inches or larger from Amazon.com.

Pick Your Own Delivery TimeScheduled Delivery is currently available for select TVs 36 inches or larger to most U.S. (lower 48 states, not including Alaska and Hawaii) Zip Codes. If the service is available for your order, "Scheduled Delivery" will appear on the detail page and as a shipping option during checkout. Simply select a delivery date and time from the carrier's available time slots displayed in the calendar. Delivery is provided by a common carrier. Select televisions 36 to 40 inches receive scheduled delivery to your door.

TVs 40 inches or larger also qualify for Enhanced Delivery. With Enhanced Delivery, a representative of the common carrier will bring your TV to any room suitable for testing, unpack it, and ensure that it is working properly to guarantee no damage occurred during transportation.

The carrier does not charge for Scheduled/Enhanced Delivery.

When scheduling your delivery, please indicate a contact phone number in order for the common carrier to ensure timely delivery.

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
I've bought 22" and 24" inch LCD monitors from Dell with no problems. My HDTVs were bought locally: a 51" CRT-based RP HDTV from Circuit City (2 guys muscled that up to the 2nd floor; it weighs ~160#!) and a 42" LCD from Costco (drove that home in the car).

blanketyblank

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
Depending where you live the B&M stores can actually be cheaper than online. I live near Frys so there are often very nice TV deals. For nicer monitors though you almost have to buy online since the B&M stores now usually just carry TNs.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
I bought a monitor from newegg a few years ago and the shipping didn't harm anything. It does have one bad pixel, but I don't even notice it and it wasn't worth returning the monitor.

bloodugly

Golden Member
Apr 27, 2004
1 px on a 40" at any distance isn't really going to be noticable unless, like me, you're one of those people who obsess over tiny things and your eyes constantly fixate on it.

If you have a good store, like Fry's/Costco nearby and you find a good deal, you may be better off going that route.

If not, then buying online isn't bad, just check the return policy and what kind of delivery service you're getting. My parent's got both their 52 and 32 LCD televisions online, and they saved a lot of money. The 52 was carried in, put into place, and they took all the box/trash with them when they left. Some places like 6ave.com you can haggle with a bit if you find a competitive price elsewhere. They got their receiver at a great price from them just from me calling and haggling. Like many things, often you get a better price on electronics if you can talk directly to people and not be shy about what you want as far as a price (just so long as its realistic) and be willing to walk out of the store/get off the phone if they don't want to play ball. I'm not saying to be rude, just to not be intimidated or buy into their BS.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
i've bought my last 5 LCDs (2004+) from online sites, and everytime i've worried to death that i get a single or 2 dead pixels and i'd be stuck with it or be hit with a 15% restocking fee. i DREAD that waiting and anxiety of a dead pixel when buying online.

but i have to say, i've yet to have 1 dead pixel from monitors that range from Viewsonic VX2025WM, Samsung 220HD, Samsung 240HD, Acer 19" something, to a Dell 17"

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I have seen too many monitors that I would not be willing to keep and right back to the store they go. no way am I going to order a monitor from a place that will charge me a restocking fee and return shipping if it has dead/stuck pixels or any other issues.