buying my first used lawnmower what do I need to know?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Dreadogg

Golden Member
Mar 1, 2001
the one I have has no brakes and you have to jump the celonoid to get it going but it rips through the lawn! Oh I just do circles my lawn is big and wide 3 acers!

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
If you have small acreage like I (0.06 acres), a reel mower is the best. No engine, no fumes, no dust or pollen production. Good exercise, too.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Unless you're a pansy or you have a huge lawn, don't get a self-propelled or a riding mower....just get a cheapie that you can push. You might as well get some exercise if you have to be out there!

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
haha lol... it's like you're buying a new car or something... :p

Lawnboy seems to make good lawnmowers... we have one that's gotta be 10 years old and never done a single repair or any maintenance other than cleaning the carb on it.

olds

Elite Member
Mar 3, 2000
Make sure to get a big bag. I have to empty mine 4 times each time I cut the grass and it is a PITA. I thought I'd save a couple bucks but it wasn't worth it.

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Ornery
Hey mithrandir, why waste your time? Personally, I feel like a chump anymore!
Waste time? The reel mower saves me time. No trips to get gas, no oil measurements, no engine maintanence, no bags of mulch to deal with. It's simple and easy. Wouldn't want it for a 1/2 acre mow job but if I had that kind of yard, I'd have some kid mow it!

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: mithrandir2001
Waste time?

I think he's referring to the fact that Holden J. Caufield hasn't responded to his own post in 13 hours despite the fact that he was asked a few questions and even appears to be on-line, which is a great way to repay people whom respond to your request for advice.

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Jzero
Originally posted by: mithrandir2001
Waste time?

I think he's referring to the fact that Holden J. Caufield hasn't responded to his own post in 13 hours despite the fact that he was asked a few questions and even appears to be on-line, which is a great way to repay people whom respond to your request for advice.
UH, yes, now I feel like a chump!

But anyway, I usually make replies even if the original poster is dead or something. This place is one knowledge base, now, isn't it?

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yeah, what Jzero said. But damn, a reel type mower with no engine... Damn! That would take a burly SOB to handle that. A "reel" man's mower!

I know what you mean about the way it shears the grass instead of lopping it off. It's the no compromise way to go, but damn, I'd have an engine on it!

Cyberian

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2000
Yeah, what Jzero said. But damn, a reel type mower with no engine... Damn! That would take a burly SOB to handle that. A "reel" man's mower!

I know what you mean about the way it shears the grass instead of lopping it off. It's the no compromise way to go, but damn, I'd have an engine on it!
They are really not that hard to push.

You lazy kids!!

;)

Azraele

Elite Member
Nov 5, 2000
If you get a push mower, wear old shoes when mowing!!! I ruined a newish pair of shoes this summer doing yardwork, they're supposed to be grey, and now they're green. :(

Think it'll wash out???

Thegonagle

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2000
Reel mower too hard to push? That's crazy. The old lady next door to me growing up used one up into her 70s, a Scotts, IIRC. I remember pushing it a few times, it was even easy for a little kid. She stopped letting me push it after I pushed it into her begonias though. :(

Anyway, they're very popular in the cities where lawns are generally fairly small. I'm not saying you should attempt to mow 6 acres with one, but they definitely have a place.

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My wife said she easily pushed a reel type mower when she was in second grade, so it must not be that bad. The only recollection I have of pushing a reel type mower is when I was about six years old and it was pretty badly rusted. At that same age, my brother and I took turns cutting the lawn with a rotary push mower, which was infinitely easier.