Buying my first SSD and have a couple questions

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
I'm considering buying my first SSD via Woot, can't beat the deal

http://tech.woot.com/offers/corsair-force-60gb-ssd-5

Anywho, I've heard a lot of caution when it comes to buying SSD's and wanted to know if this drive is a mistake. I read it's got the Sandforce controller (v 1200..?) and want to know if this drive has issues with garbage collection, if it has TRIM support, and if there's anything else I should know or be aware of when buying this. I trust Corsair as a brand, and have heard good things about Sandforce, but don't want to buy a horribly out of date drive that is going to perform poorly in a week's worth of use. TIA for any help.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Meh. 30 day warranty on a SATA II sandforce drive? No thanks. I'm not sure what the good things are that you've heard about Sandforce... there's little good about it

Go for one of these: Samsung 830 128GB $90. It's about as good $/GB but new with 3 year warranty and it's much faster and much more reliable.

Last edited:

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Meh. 30 day warranty on a SATA II sandforce drive? No thanks. I'm not sure what the good things are that you've heard about Sandforce... there's little good about it

Go for one of these: Samsung 830 128GB $90. It's about as good $/GB but new with 3 year warranty and it's much faster and much more reliable.

I'm trying to keep cost as low as possible, I've got a 10k 72gb Raptor right now which has been serving me well. I would like to upgrade to a SSD and this price point seemed to be good, but it seems like you're cautioning against so I may hold off.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
What was it? A 60GB Sandforce 1200 drive for $45 shipped? You should have gotten in on the Intel G2 80GB deal at Tiger Direct for $42 shipped after $20 rebate. I think it has a 5 year warranty, and is known to be one of the most reliable SSDs ever made. It was "on sale" at that price for a few weeks, but finally sold out maybe yesterday.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
What was it? A 60GB Sandforce 1200 drive for $45 shipped? You should have gotten in on the Intel G2 80GB deal at Tiger Direct for $42 shipped after $20 rebate. I think it has a 5 year warranty, and is known to be one of the most reliable SSDs ever made. It was "on sale" at that price for a few weeks, but finally sold out maybe yesterday.

I saw that yesterday when I got home from work but yeah it was already sold out. Just gonna have to keep my eyes peeled and hope I catch something good when it comes around again.

Sheep221

Golden Member
Oct 28, 2012
Owning SSD is very comfortable, as the computer boots up in seconds and is very responsive. My first SSD died within 2 days, because sandforce circuitry crashed, it's still pretty unreliable technology. Seems the only SFs who don't die prematurely are the Intel ones.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I have a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB that died pretty hard after half-working for a few months. Yes, I tried secure erasing it to fix it, multiple times. It had the 5.0.1 firmware, which was the newest at the time. Come to find out, TRIM was "broken" in that firmware.

It was a 2nd-gen SandForce.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
How much was it? It's definitely NOT worth paying the $45 number that Zap mentioned. Any Sandforce V1 drive is bad, a 60GB one is worse because Sandforce will back itself into a performance corner when full, and only 30 days of warranty is just icing on the cake. It'd literally have to be $20 shipped for me to even think about it.

johny12

Sep 18, 2012

Anywho, I've heard a lot of caution when it comes to buying SSD's and wanted to know if this drive is a mistake. I read it's got the Sandforce controller (v 1200..?) and want to know if this drive has issues with garbage collection, if it has TRIM support, and if there's anything else I should know or be aware of when buying this. I trust Corsair as a brand, and have heard good things about Sandforce, but don't want to buy a horribly out of date drive that is going to perform poorly in a week's worth of use. TIA for any help.

Sandforce had BSOD issues about a year back, well so did other controllers including marvel and Samsung – probably not reported by many users. Sandforce fixed its issues with firmware 5.0.3 and 5.0.4 updates.
Many still remember it and many had raised their voices strongly ( including me) against sandforce; but in reality today there is hardly any difference between any of the controllers in real world usage scenario. So sandforce is as good (if not better) as any other controller.
As far as I remember – sandforce has better garbage collection and over provisioning than any other controller. However TRIM is subjective because by default all controllers have TRIM turned on, but many SSD manufacturers turn it off. TRIM also depends on the OS you use . For e.g Windows 7 only supports TRIM for ordinary (AHCI) drives and does not support this command for PCI-Express SSDs that are different type of device, even if the device itself would accept the command

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Sandforce had BSOD issues about a year back, well so did other controllers including marvel and Samsung – probably not reported by many users. Sandforce fixed its issues with firmware 5.0.3 and 5.0.4 updates.

Correction, they fixed some of their BSOD issues about a year ago. There are other (albeit harder to trigger) ones still in existence. Even Intel can't get the firmware completely right, which suggests to me that the controller has some sort of flaw that isn't fixable in firmware.

johny12

Sep 18, 2012
I have a Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240GB that died pretty hard after half-working for a few months. Yes, I tried secure erasing it to fix it, multiple times. It had the 5.0.1 firmware, which was the newest at the time. Come to find out, TRIM was "broken" in that firmware.

It was a 2nd-gen SandForce.

The sandforce 5.0.1 might have had some issues try using the 5.0.3 or 5.0.4 - all issues were fixed after this firmware update

johny12

Sep 18, 2012

Most of the sandforce issues resolved now with their firmware updates

Last edited:

johny12

Sep 18, 2012
Correction, they fixed some of their BSOD issues about a year ago. There are other (albeit harder to trigger) ones still in existence. Even Intel can't get the firmware completely right, which suggests to me that the controller has some sort of flaw that isn't fixable in firmware.

I have been using an intel drive for some time now, my issues were fixed after the firmware update. I am not having any BSOD problems now

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I have been using an intel drive for some time now, my issues were fixed after the firmware update. I am not having any BSOD problems now

Intel alone got to tweak the firmware which is off limits to other manufacturers. Your posts are nearly all limited to defending and playing up sandforce - you said in one of your posts that SF does not have reliability issues.

Bonesdad

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 2002
What cost is too high? you can get the 64 GB version of the Samsung 830 for $65 at Amazon. Keep an eye out for one of the 128GB models, they pop up pretty cheap at lots of different places lately. Stock may be running low though, since the 840 came out

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
$65 for 64GB is too expensive. The sweet spot for SSDs now is about $.75/GB. Hot deals can be had for $.5/GB. At those prices you have to watch out, but I bought a OCZ 60GB for a dying older computer for $25 AR (yes I know it's OCZ). But I remember the 830s were going for around $.5/GB as well.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Intel alone got to tweak the firmware which is off limits to other manufacturers. Your posts are nearly all limited to defending and playing up sandforce - you said in one of your posts that SF does not have reliability issues.

Yeah seriously. Check out the stats:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
- 15.58% OCZ Vertex 2 Series SSD 240 GB
- 13.28% OCZ Vertex 2 Series SSD 160 GB
- 11.76% OCZ Vertex 2 Series SSD 80 GB
- 9.52% OCZ Vertex 2 Series SSD 120 GB
- 8.57% OCZ Vertex 3 Series 120 GB
- 7.49% OCZ Vertex 2 Series SSD 60 GB
- 6.61% OCZ Vertex 2 Series 3.5" SSD 120 GB
- 6.37% OCZ Vertex 3 Series 240 GB
- 6.37% OCZ Agility 3 60 GB
- 5.89% OCZ Vertex 2 Series SSD 100 GB
[/FONT]

Only Sandforce drives had failure rates above 5%

Also Anand just dropped a big bombshell today in his (now pulled) Intel SSD review: Intel's "custom" SF firmware wasn't nearly as custom as they made it out to be. Intel didn't have source code access to the firmware, all they had was a direct line to file bug reports and get changes made in their own special branch.

johny12

Sep 18, 2012
Yeah seriously. Check out the stats:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
- 15.58% OCZ Vertex 2 Series SSD 240 GB
- 13.28% OCZ Vertex 2 Series SSD 160 GB
- 11.76% OCZ Vertex 2 Series SSD 80 GB
- 9.52% OCZ Vertex 2 Series SSD 120 GB
- 8.57% OCZ Vertex 3 Series 120 GB
- 7.49% OCZ Vertex 2 Series SSD 60 GB
- 6.61% OCZ Vertex 2 Series 3.5" SSD 120 GB
- 6.37% OCZ Vertex 3 Series 240 GB
- 6.37% OCZ Agility 3 60 GB
- 5.89% OCZ Vertex 2 Series SSD 100 GB
[/FONT]

Only Sandforce drives had failure rates above 5%

Also Anand just dropped a big bombshell today in his (now pulled) Intel SSD review: Intel's "custom" SF firmware wasn't nearly as custom as they made it out to be. Intel didn't have source code access to the firmware, all they had was a direct line to file bug reports and get changes made in their own special branch.

Is that true? do you have a link or something to share

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Hmm. Pulled, because it pissed off Intel, perhaps?

Wyndru

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2009
I'm starting to see some failed ssd's come back from people Ive upgraded over the past 2 years. A couple m4's that I didn't get a chance to upgrade the firmware on, and most recently a Samsung 830.

I'm starting to dislike ssd's because when they have an issue, they just die and you lose everything. At least with mechanical drives there is often some warning that something is up and you can get the data off. These ssd's that came back to me were completely inaccessible.

So of you are going ssd, be sure to back up often, redundancy is key with these things.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

I can't hit that link, I so often can't hit the links in these forums. o_O I get this:

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.tkqlhce.com.

Can you post a link that works for me? I've never used an SSD, am pretty frustrated quite often with 2 slow laptops and a slow desktop. Evidently going SSD is not a no brainer, so I've put those projects on the back burner.

Last edited:

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I can't hit that link, I so often can't hit the links in these forums. o_O I get this:

Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.tkqlhce.com.

Can you post a link that works for me? I've never used an SSD, am pretty frustrated quite often with 2 slow laptops and a slow desktop. Evidently going SSD is not a no brainer, so I've put those projects on the back burner.

The forum will automatically rewrite links to go through their super shitty affiliate redirector thingie. Said thingie is quite often down even when the actual sites are up. Paste the following into your browser:

Code:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3332167&SID=u00000687

Code:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/196?vs=533

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'm starting to see some failed ssd's come back from people Ive upgraded over the past 2 years. A couple m4's that I didn't get a chance to upgrade the firmware on, and most recently a Samsung 830.

I'm starting to dislike ssd's because when they have an issue, they just die and you lose everything. At least with mechanical drives there is often some warning that something is up and you can get the data off. These ssd's that came back to me were completely inaccessible.

So of you are going ssd, be sure to back up often, redundancy is key with these things.
I haven't any personal experience. It would seem (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you put your OS and apps on your SSD, have your data on a HD. Back up your SSD, and you can restore and save yourself a lot of work, and of course, as always, back up your data at a frequency level you're comfortable with.
The forum will automatically rewrite links to go through their super shitty affiliate redirector thingie. Said thingie is quite often down even when the actual sites are up. Paste the following into your browser:

Code:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147163&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&AID=10440897&PID=3332167&SID=u00000687

Code:
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/196?vs=533
Thank you, that works.

Last edited:

Remobz

Platinum Member
Jun 9, 2005
I haven't any personal experience. It would seem (please correct me if I'm wrong) that you put your OS and apps on your SSD, have your data on a HD. Back up your SSD, and you can restore and save yourself a lot of work, and of course, as always, back up your data at a frequency level you're comfortable with.
Thank you, that works.

Very solid advice. I will do that.