Buying fans

tinydancer

Nov 3, 2004
I'm going to be building a PC for gaming. I notice, at newegg, that you can purchase just an Anthlon processor or you can purchase the proseccor with a stock fan in a "retail box". Is it better to by the processor seperately an add a specialized fan, or is the stock fan sufficant. Furthermore, will the fan that comes with the GPU sufice, or should I consider a seperate and different fan for the GPU too.

tornadobox

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2001
In general, stock fans tend to be loud. I bought a retail P4 3.06GHz package, and ended up spending another $40 to replace the 747 jet engine that the stock P4 came with. I'm also considering changing out my GeForce 6800 stock fan setup with an Arctic Cooler one, for less noise.

If I were doing it over again, I'd have gone OEM and just got the quiet fan right off the bat.

Sentinel

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2000
i used the retail fan until i didnt like the aluminum cooler it came with, then i switched to a slk-900a with 92mm enermax fan

tinydancer

Nov 3, 2004
but other than the noise, is there any need to change out the fans for the sake of cooloing, or are the stock fans adequate?

Gothgar

Lifer
Sep 1, 2004
stock fans work fine if you don't plan on overclocking, if you have problems with noise later on, get a new fan...

also, get retail, you get a better warranty