Buying an IPO, how?

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
basically i just noticed a company that i have known about for a while filed for an IPO recently.

How would i go about buying shares of the company?

and, does it matter if someone in you family is the CFO of that company??

MIKE

NogginBoink

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
You need to have an 'in' with the brokerage that's handing the IPO. The brokerage will generally make shares available to their really big clients first.

Call your broker and see if they can help you, but expect the answer to be no.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
You can buy post IPO shares through an online broker. Basically, it's no different from any other shares. As for family members - tough call. I know that we you register a brokerage account you're required to specify any family members that are board members of publicly traded companies. As far as buying shares - you should be in the clear, provided you're not acted on insider information. If you're buying/selling a lot of shares (millions...) you're required to file a special form to notify the exchange, and then you'll have to do that over a period of time to prevent market flactuations. However, since I doubt that's the case - you should be good.

Argo

Lifer
Apr 8, 2000
Originally posted by: NogginBoink
You need to have an 'in' with the brokerage that's handing the IPO. The brokerage will generally make shares available to their really big clients first.

Call your broker and see if they can help you, but expect the answer to be no.

Yeah, but he shouldn't have problems buying shares once the underwriter dumps them on the market. He might end up paying more than the IPO price, though.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
company is DWR.com NYSE: DWRI

my uncle is and has been the CFO since they opened. i just realized they were doing this when looking at stocks for my stock market game.

hmmm. it doesnt give an IPO price yet, but it has been filed. does that mean it is done already, or no?

MIKE