Buying a PC for a friend

Dashel

Nov 5, 2003
What is a reasonably priced pre-made PC I can get delivered to a friend? All I need it to do is play Guild Wars 2, WoW and surf the web. I'd also like it to be upgradable in terms of adding RAM and a new video card so there's some future to it. Should I be looking at Dell? I usually build my own and I'm out of the loop.

If I had to put a budget on it I'd say around 500-600 bucks. This is for just a desktop PC, no monitor or keyboard or anything else.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
He apparently doesn't have a copy of Windows? What's his monitor's resolution?

$500-600 is not much for a 1080p gaming pre-built, even if we're only talking low quality graphics. For a custom built PC, it's definitely enough though. Is your friend willing to consider building it himself, or have you build it for him? We can pick you all the parts

Dashel

Nov 5, 2003
After looking around I'm starting to lean that way. Just buy the parts and let her do it. Or, maybe I'll do it and ship it to her. I could even scavange some parts I have at home like a dvd and hard drive. Maybe even some ram.

Am I being unrealistic in thinking pretty much anyone can build a PC now-a-days with a bit of guidance?

Edit oh and yes, no Windows copy.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
Am I being unrealistic in thinking pretty much anyone can build a PC now-a-days with a bit of guidance?

Not unrealistic at all. It's easy enough to do if you take some time to read up and are careful when you build it.

Edit oh and yes, no Windows copy.

Does this mean you need a Windows copy or you don't need one? That's really important at this budget level.

Dashel

Nov 5, 2003
I would need to buy a copy of windows for this rig. I mean, I have a copy of windows 7 and I think windows XP. But I'm assuming it would be uh, not legal to put it on this box and ship it to her. Right?

I'm going to do a quick inventory of what i have tonight. If memory serves me I have:
1 case (Antec 900 I think)
2 gigs RAM
DVD RW drive

So I'd need Mobo, CPU, GPU, HDD ... uhhh... oh power supply I would have to check to see if I have a decent one in my old PC.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
Dell Outlet has a 48 hour sale. 20% off all desktops with coupon code PBZD9CC7KZ$RSW.

I'd get an Inspiron 660 MT (not slim) with an i3 2120 for $419 ($335 after coupon.)
Then throw in a 7750 for $100.

Dashel

Nov 5, 2003
Thanks I will check that out!

On the Inspiron though it has integrated graphics, can you add a card? I have no experience with that. I assume you'd just disable the onboard?

Last edited:

Dijeangenie

Sep 11, 2012

I dont think you are being unrealistic, I had very little clue about pc components and how to connect them but I recently managed to build one with some help in picking the components from Lehtv!

The actual assembly was far easier than I was worried it would be.

mfenn

Elite Member
Jan 17, 2010
www.mfenn.com
I would need to buy a copy of windows for this rig. I mean, I have a copy of windows 7 and I think windows XP. But I'm assuming it would be uh, not legal to put it on this box and ship it to her. Right?

I'm going to do a quick inventory of what i have tonight. If memory serves me I have:
1 case (Antec 900 I think)
2 gigs RAM
DVD RW drive

So I'd need Mobo, CPU, GPU, HDD ... uhhh... oh power supply I would have to check to see if I have a decent one in my old PC.

You could give her a copy of Windows 7 if it isn't currently in use on another machine. You cannot give her the copy that you have loaded onto your main machine.

$600 with OS is pretty tight, Dominion's Dell outlet deal is likely better than what you can build yourself for $450. The slight twist is that you have up to $600 to spend and already have some components. Let's see what I can do:

Core i3 3220 $130
ASRock B75M-DGS $55
GeIL DDR3 1333 8GB $33
7850 2GB $185 AR
Seagate 1TB $50
Reuse DVD-RW $0
CX500 $38 AR
Reuse Case $0
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit $100
Total: $591 AR

This is obviously a much more capable machine than the Dell (newer CPU, USB 3.0, better GPU, more RAM, etc.). Is it $150 better? I think so, but you're the final judge about how much you want to spend.