Buying a p&s camera

goatjc

Oct 25, 2006
So, I'm looking to buy a camera for the g/f and just wanted some input. Price cap is around $250, so if you have any other suggestions, just say so.

These are the three I'm currently looking at:

Canon SD600
Casio EX-Z70
Finepix F20

It's just to have handy to take quick pics, so, it doesnt have to have the beef that a DSLR has.

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Only reason I would not buy the Fuji - XD media

I would take the Canon out of the bunch.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
I have a canon SD550 and am very happy w/ it. Voted for the 600.

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001
I was faced with a similar decision a few weeks ago when my girl broke my Canon S400. After hours of research, I ended up with the SD630. It's the same as the SD600, but with the newer case and larger LCD, however you lose the viewfinder...

Minjin

Platinum Member
Jan 18, 2003
I just went through this same ordeal with nearly the same choices (W50, SD600, F30). I ended up going with the Sony W50.

Reasons:
-lighter than all comparable options, even SD600
-better battery life than most though not as good as the Fuji
-better macro range than all others, 2cm for W50 vs 3cm for SD600
-optical viewfinder, though I'm finding it to be not too useful and SD600 has one as well
-already had pro duo cards for my phone
-cheaper than the rest (180 shipped)

If I could have handled something a little bigger and a little more expensive, I would have went with the Fuji F30 though the lack of optical viewfinder really did it in for me.

dfuze

Lifer
Feb 15, 2006
If I remember right, I think my wife said the Cannon's have issues w/ the lense motor getting stuck (she works at a camera repair place). All I do know is that she says the Fuji's have a low rate of repair. That's the brand she has and has also gotten for me (I'm not a photog, so I don't know the models).

erub

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2000
I had a Canon S400, until it randomly started giving me memory card error (well documented online). Sold it, got a new Canon 7MP takes SecureDigital, a little more than a year ago..about the same size. I forget the model number. Good products all around.

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Look at dpreview.com before buying anything...they have awesome reviews and comparisons. Comparison of Cameras I wouldn't get the Fuji because of they only use xD media (Expensive!) I'm on my 3rd canon p&s in 5 years and have loved all of them! The 700IS is awesome, but at $320 its well above your price range.

yosuke188

Platinum Member
Apr 19, 2005
I have the SD600. It's pretty good in terms of picture quality, videos are good quality too. If it wasn't for the limited zoom, I wouldn't need another camera, but that's the price you pay for portability.

regnez

Golden Member
Aug 11, 2006
The Canon SD600 is a wonderful camera. Tons of tuning options for a compact, the best flash coverage I have ever seen, and very good low-light performance are just a few of it's strenghts. :thumbsup:

Asharus

Oct 6, 2001
Originally posted by: Minjin
I just went through this same ordeal with nearly the same choices (W50, SD600, F30). I ended up going with the Sony W50.

Reasons:
-optical viewfinder, though I'm finding it to be not too useful and SD600 has one as well

If I could have handled something a little bigger and a little more expensive, I would have went with the Fuji F30 though the lack of optical viewfinder really did it in for me.

I almost got the Sony because it was on sale, and even included an SD card. I placed the order, however after researching it afterwards, many users had issues with the display cracking for no reason (not even dropped). So I called and canceled and placed my order for the SD630.

SZLiao214

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
Originally posted by: Minjin

Reasons:

You may want to look into the camera the poster above me posted if it is still cheaper then the rest. I find most girls who have digital cameras really don't care about photography, just random pictures. In that frame of thought you might as well get something cheap.

I do really like the elph series for a simple point and shoot. Most girls seem to like what it looks like though you can say the same about the exilim. One female friend bought a 450 dollar sony one because it was red....