Buying a new motherboard (Z170), just have to find it.

troligen

Aug 16, 2015
Hello,

It's been a long while since I upgraded my computer and now is finally the time, so I thought I'd go with Skylake (I7), which I've now bought.

I've been reading forums, reviews and manufacturers websites for days now, and now it's time to find a motherboard that suits my needs - as such I seek your help and guidance.

I do not need good overclocking capabilities and I'm going to use an external sound card, so good onboard sound is not important either. I will also most likely only use 1 graphic card at a time, but support for options to that is always a bonus.

As far as brands are concerned, I'm all ears - I've used Asus, Gigabyte and MSI before - all with splendid results.

I'm based in Europe (Sweden to be exact) if that makes any difference in terms of what is available or not.

I've narrowed it down to wanting the following:

Intel Socket 1151:
  • Z170
  • ATX
  • DDR4
  • Intel Alpine Ridge (Thunderbolt 3)
  • 2x M.2 slots
  • NVM Express
  • USB 3.1 (Gen 2)
  • USB Type-C
  • Lan Ethernet E2400
  • SATA 3.0 or higher
  • PCI Express 3.0 or higher
  • Needs to be available now or within a couple of days.

Are there any motherboards out there today that has what I want? If there are multiple options, are there any other pros/cons in regards to those?

In terms of money I'll pay what I have to in order to get what I think I want (be that as it may) and I value good quality components. Having said that, I do not want to pay through the nose for features I will not use or need (such as OC features, good onboard sound fx.).

Any help/pointers are greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Daniel

thetuna

Nov 14, 2010
I'll quote this from an anandtech article:
anandtech said:
For USB 3.1, GIGABYTE would seem to have an initial exclusive of Intel’s Alpine Ridge controller.
anandtech said:
As mentioned in GIGABYTE’s details above, the Alpine Ridge solution will add around $10 to the cost of the board, which probably translates near $20 to the end-user cost. It is our understanding that the increased speed of the Z170 launch means that there has been supply issues with Alpine Ridge controllers and that there will be more products coming out next month (September) from various manufacturers that will use the controller.

So right now, it looks like your selection has narrowed considerably.

This is literally the only motherboard that ticks off all the check boxes you listed (unless more have been released in the last couple days I don't know about):
GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 7

(P.S. the only mobos that have the E2400 are going to be "gaming" boards)

Redstorm

Dec 9, 2004
At least Gigabyte have got their act together this time round with regards to M.2, unlike their X99 boards where they failed hard.

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
Skylake's only strength is the massive overclocking potential. If you are not looking for that, i suggest you go 4790k.

Otherwise, i'd bet any of the D3H / HD3 / UD3 series from Gigabyte is good enough; i have seen many reviews go 4.8~5Ghz on air.

troligen

Aug 16, 2015
I've just ordered the Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 board, it seems it has what I think I need, let's hope I'm happy with it! Thanks you for feedback!

Regards,

// Daniel

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I've just ordered the Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 board, it seems it has what I think I need, let's hope I'm happy with it! Thanks you for feedback!

Regards,

// Daniel

Please keep us posted. I'm going to be looking for a board and a 6700K in a few weeks but am waiting for a few motherboard reviews/comments before I decide on that board. That Gigabyte is certainly a contender for my motherboard choice.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I'm going with the Asus Maximus VIII Hero when I do my skylake build.

I want Intel Ethernet cause the Killer NIC is a gimmick.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
I'm going with the Asus Maximus VIII Hero when I do my skylake build.

I want Intel Ethernet cause the Killer NIC is a gimmick.

Agreed, but the Gigabyte board also has an Intel NIC, which is what I'd use. I'll have to check out the Maximus - my last two boards have been Asus (a Rampage with the x48 chipset and the P8Z68-V Pro).

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Agreed, but the Gigabyte board also has an Intel NIC, which is what I'd use. I'll have to check out the Maximus - my last two boards have been Asus (a Rampage with the x48 chipset and the P8Z68-V Pro).

The only thing missing from the Asus is thunderbolt which for me is not necessary. I am more familiar with Asus as a whole too from their BIOS to their basic features. I am a big fan of their ROG boards, having built 5 systems for both myself and others using them and never had an issue yet. I know they are more expensive though.

Last edited:

erichatesmice

Aug 20, 2015
Like you I'm stuck with the Gigabyte offerings for now. I have a Mac and unfortunately I have a bunch of Thunderbolt drives that I would like to connect to my PC as well.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
If Home Theater is important to you, there is only one motherboard that is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 compliant. ASUS has confirmed that their Z170-DELUXE is compliant.

Depends on whether or not you use the iGPU or have a dGPU installed.

Last edited: