buying a new game this afternoon

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
I never buy games..well hardly ever, last game I bought was medieval total war. Here are my likes/dislikes

Strategy
great stories

dislikes
dumb first person shooters
eye candy with little content

I noticed this mass effect game...bioware has my undying love for baldurs gate and I also thought kotor was not bad. Is this game basically an RPG like kotor? or is world in conflict more my style?

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: jandrews
I never buy games..well hardly ever, last game I bought was medieval total war. Here are my likes/dislikes

Strategy
great stories

dislikes

I noticed this mass effect game...bioware has my undying love for baldurs gate and I also thought kotor was not bad. Is this game basically an RPG like kotor? or is world in conflict more my style?

Mass Effect is only on the X360 as an exclusive. Not sure if this will change now that EA owns BioWare given EA's love for multi-platform ports. But ya pretty sure its an action-RPG. Pretty cool action-RPG with a nice story is The Witcher, so you may wanna check that out. Might want to read up on a bit more though if you don't buy games much although it was well worth the $50 to me.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: chizow

Strategy
great stories

dislikes

Mass Effect is only on the X360 as an exclusive. Not sure if this will change now that EA owns BioWare given EA's love for multi-platform ports. But ya pretty sure its an action-RPG. Pretty cool action-RPG with a nice story is The Witcher, so you may wanna check that out. Might want to read up on a bit more though if you don't buy games much although it was well worth the $50 to me.
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG i just assumed since bioware was involved it would be a pc game...what a tragic day this is...o lord...i knew ea buying them was a disaster.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: homercles337
Check out The Witcher. Im playing the demo and plan to pick this up over the weekend.

Hmmm rpg first person that looks like a possibility.

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Check out The Witcher. Im playing the demo and plan to pick this up over the weekend.

Hmmm rpg first person that looks like a possibility.

Yea its also "adult" oriented but im not sure if that appeals to you. ;)

A buddy of mine was telling me that i have to pick up mass effect, but since that is an xbox exclusive i went with witcher. Even the demo has like 4 hours of play. The combat system is "interesting" in that i have never used anything like it. Its easy to use, but i end up waiting for my "cue" to strike again and miss the action. :(

Side note: when this buddy mentioned mass effect i replied with, "didnt that get shitty reviews or something?" Im a pc only gamer. Then i looked it up and figured out that it was xbox exclusive and i wasnt paying attention to the prerelease hype because of that. :Q

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
hmmm the witcher looks like it got pretty bad ratings?

Yea, kind of shitty, but not horrible. 81% at gamerankings. A lot of the problems were prepatch issues, but the patch is out now. Check out the demo. Its free. :)

Edit: i really feel like this game will fly under the radar and wont get the attention it deserves because of the poor reviews. :(

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
hmmm the witcher looks like it got pretty bad ratings?

The Witcher has had a lot of very good rating reviews,also the new 1.2 patch is out today,its a very good game which I played all the way through.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001

Strategy
great stories

dislikes

OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG i just assumed since bioware was involved it would be a pc game...what a tragic day this is...o lord...i knew ea buying them was a disaster.

To be fair, ME was developed as an X360 exclusive by BioWare (read: MS footed the bill or paid for exclusive rights) before EA bought em. I think the exclusivity clause would remain intact even after the buyout although EA might push to change that after MS has their fill of X360 sales.

I wouldn't worry too much about the ratings honestly. Above 80% is still generally good if you compare to other games on those sites with 80%+ ratings. If the genre interests you then that's all that really matters. And as others mentioned, there's a playable demo available now so you can get a good idea of what the game is like. One thing to keep in mind is that the fighting seems to pick up later in the game.

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Originally posted by: pontifex
so how do you get your PC games if you never buy them?

ummm...I dont play them? doofus. The last game I bought was total war and that is really the only game I played besides baldurs gate (which I own as well). Stop trying to drag me out as a pirater, I am sorry if your small mind cannot comprehend that some people dont sit and play pc games all day.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: pontifex
so how do you get your PC games if you never buy them?

ummm...I dont play them? doofus. The last game I bought was total war and that is really the only game I played besides baldurs gate (which I own as well). Stop trying to drag me out as a pirater, I am sorry if your small mind cannot comprehend that some people dont sit and play pc games all day.

you should learn what the word hypocrite means

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

Strategy
great stories

dislikes

Ok back up, let's not forget that KOTOR was an XBOX exclusive before it came to PC. Mass Effect will make it to PC sometime next year, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

It is great though, I've played through it twice.

AntiFreze

Golden Member
Oct 23, 2007
I'm playing the demo and I love it so far. Hopefully I'll pick this up over the weekend. How long is the demo? I just made it to the 1st town after the castle place.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Originally posted by: videogames101
company of heros

Yeah i wouldve said that too, with OF its a blast online. Ze Jagdpantha heavy tank destroya is an awesome thing to play with online.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Soviet
Originally posted by: videogames101
company of heros

Yeah i wouldve said that too, with OF its a blast online. Ze Jagdpantha heavy tank destroya is an awesome thing to play with online.
"Hey Klaus, they're scratching your paint job"

jandrews

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2007
Ok thanks most of you, bought the witcher looks good!!

Good call. ;)

Did you try the demo first?

im at work, used lunch to go to mall of america this was a secondary trip, no time for demo!

homercles337

Diamond Member
Dec 29, 2004
Ok thanks most of you, bought the witcher looks good!!

Good call. ;)

Did you try the demo first?

im at work, used lunch to go to mall of america this was a secondary trip, no time for demo!

No worries, the game is excellent and youll enjoy it. I finished the main quest of the demo and now i have to wait a few days for gogamer.com to get me the uncensored version. ;) I also have an old rig and on high settings at 1600x900 it runs like butter. My hardware is X2 4400, 2 GB, and a 7900 GT.

Originally posted by: AntiFreze
I'm playing the demo and I love it so far. Hopefully I'll pick this up over the weekend. How long is the demo? I just made it to the 1st town after the castle place.

Believe it or not, there is quite a bit of game play in the demo. When you get to Vizima the demo ends by finishing the quests of the preacher (dont bother with the quests from the board outside the Inn, you wont have experience to complete them--i think). Completion of both the "get the confidence of 3 villagers" and the "light the fires" quests end the demo. :(

toughwimp11

May 8, 2005
kotor is a good game that comes to mind although a little old.
i'm currently playing oblivion and loving it but i'm not sure how the main story is since i'm doing side stuff right now like guild quests and such