Buying a new car, good deal? EDIT: Purchased for $16963, $17860 OTD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: XZeroII
You can do MUCH better than that. If MSRP is 18k and they are offering 17.3k, then there is LOTS of wiggle room in there still. I would definitely not take it for that price. Don't calculate in a 5% dealer profit. That is like giving them a 5% tip. They get all sorts of extra incentives and such that make them money.

So what would seem like a good price to you?

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: WhiteKnight
You can do MUCH better than that. If MSRP is 18k and they are offering 17.3k, then there is LOTS of wiggle room in there still. I would definitely not take it for that price. Don't calculate in a 5% dealer profit. That is like giving them a 5% tip. They get all sorts of extra incentives and such that make them money.

So what would seem like a good price to you?

I (personally) would not budge for over $17,000 after tax, title and all other fees. I would also demand VIN etching for free and a spare key. They charge you like $100/key, but they only cost the dealer like $20 max. It's very easy for them to throw an extra in.

Then again, you are buying the car at one of the wost possible times. The 07 models are still new and have not been sitting on the lot very long. They are not in a hurry to move them. Just remember, $18k is A LOT of money. Even if it's only $300/month or whatever they try to tell you. Spend the money wisely. The biggest piece of advice I got from Car Buying Tips is this: "Be prepared to walk away." Do not compromise at all because I guarentee you that the price of that car will only go down with time. Get your price or walk. I've had dealerships call me up days later asking if I am still interested and that they are willing to drop their already firm offer.

Buy hey, it's up to you. Everyone is different. To me, cars are a horrible way to spend money. I only bought my car because MSRP was $21k and I got it for $11,700 after tax, title and everything. I'm that good.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000
I wouldn't pay a penny over $16,999 OTD including destination plus $130 TTL

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
Buy hey, it's up to you. Everyone is different. To me, cars are a horrible way to spend money. I only bought my car because MSRP was $21k and I got it for $11,700 after tax, title and everything. I'm that good.

what car did you buy?

XZeroII

Lifer
Jun 30, 2001
Originally posted by: randomlinh

what car did you buy?

2003 Grand Am. There were loads of incentives and rebates and other goodies that I piled on. Then I negotiated more off.

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN

Wow... that really is quite a bit less. I wonder if they'd go for anything close to that. As another XZeroII pointed out, this is not the best time to be buying a new car but unfortunately I don't have much choice. For the past year my wife and I have been able to carpool to work since she's been directly on the way to my workplace. She's changing jobs though, so I don't really have more than a few weeks to get another car.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Yeah, you should be able to get it for Invoice (I did, even before I applied $500 ZZL coupon)
You need to play dealere against dealer, and play hard to get. Lie if you have to. Say such and such dealer is giving it to me for invoice, will you match that price. Just make sure they aren't owned by same company :D
Good luck.

RossMAN

Grand Nagus
Feb 24, 2000

Wow... that really is quite a bit less. I wonder if they'd go for anything close to that. As another XZeroII pointed out, this is not the best time to be buying a new car but unfortunately I don't have much choice. For the past year my wife and I have been able to carpool to work since she's been directly on the way to my workplace. She's changing jobs though, so I don't really have more than a few weeks to get another car.

It would probably take 8-10 hours of negotiating/research and 4-5 trips to achieve that price but I think it's possible.

Play dealers against each other, email the fleet manager, use CostCo/AAA/CU buying service, loss leader ads, etc.

wasssup

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2000

what car did you buy?

2003 Grand Am. There were loads of incentives and rebates and other goodies that I piled on. Then I negotiated more off.

!!!

Impressive.

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001

That sounds great to me, but after reading several Mazda forums, I just don't know if that's a reasonable expectation. I think that $18k OTD (TTL included) would be a pretty decent deal.

Edmunds TMV for this car in my area is $17,817 (plus tax/title/tags), so the standing offer of $17,090 seems pretty attractive.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
"Edmunds TMV for this car in my area is $17,817 (plus tax/title/tags),"

ignore tmv. i know edmunds means well, but i find it useless. just use invoice as your STARTING point

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
I went to the dealer this evening and after going back and forth for a while I got it at $16,963, $100 over invoice. It doesn't come in for a few weeks, but I'll be OTD for $17,860. It's not as spectacular as some folks on here suggested, but I'm happy with it. It seems to be pretty decent compared to what other people are getting on the various Mazda forums. Thanks for the help.

Riverhound777

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2003
I got my 06 3s touring with moonroof/cd changer for $17.8k plus TTL in Dec of 05 if that helps.

And for those people saying there are tons of rebates, I think your wrong. The 3 is in high demand, they dont have too many rebates. I had a $500 from a zoom-zoom live event, but that was the only one i've heard being used.

Edit: Oh and if I were doing it again, I would drop the cd changer/moonroof and get a GT package instead. Or a MS3 :)

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000

what car did you buy?

That's why. It's harder to do that on imports.

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
I went to the dealer this evening and after going back and forth for a while I got it at $16,963, $100 over invoice. It doesn't come in for a few weeks, but I'll be OTD for $17,860. It's not as spectacular as some folks on here suggested, but I'm happy with it. It seems to be pretty decent compared to what other people are getting on the various Mazda forums. Thanks for the help.

as long as you're happy w/it thats all that matters :thumbsup:

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004

$130 for tax on a $16k purchase? Tax is that low where you're at?

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
Originally posted by: chuckywang

$130 for tax on a $16k purchase? Tax is that low where you're at?

He probably just means tags, title, and license.

dxkj

Lifer
Feb 17, 2001
We got our mazda 3 hatch with the same options you lised for $16.7 out the door after TTL and destination.

not sure if that helps at all

WhiteKnight

Platinum Member
May 21, 2001
I picked up the car, no problems, no pressure for extra stuff. I'll post some pics when I have a chance to take them, maybe this evening. dxkj, was that for an 07 i Touring hatch? If so, congrats on a great deal. That's about $1500 under invoice once you take out the TTL and destination. Very impressive, since most dealers hardly have any 07 3s on the lot at this point. They're in pretty high demand.