Buying a new 24" - HP LP2475w or Samsung 2493HM

Lightning983

Jun 27, 2008
Well, i finally managed to persuade my wife to try out the "gaming world", and now after picking out all the components for the computer i'm gonna get her i'm left with the final choice - what monitor.

Now the choice here is pretty limited, there are barely no IPS monitors available, and only a couple of PVA. But most of them (when converted into $) cost way over 1500$

I've reduced the choice to these 2 :

HP LP2475w - 880$

Samsung 2493HM - 680$

The HP monitor is H-IPS, and i can't seem to find any reviews on it, so if anyone here owns it, or knows something about it please let me know.
And the Samsung is a TN.

The monitors will be used mainly for gaming/watching movies and general usage... so i don't really need great viewing angles, or "Photoshop precision" color accuracy. Basically a good monitor for fast paced games, and with the minimum amount of input lag.

Oh well,
Thanx :)

gorobei

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2007
your options dont really match your criteria. for general usage without the need for accuracy and minimal lag you might as well go for a budget 24" TN at the $300 range.

the 2475w is the best for color range and cheapest ips but has a good bit of lag according to reviews.

for $680 you might as well get the samsung 245T pva panel (same price)

for $520 you can try the dell 2408wfp s-pva. i posted about it last week--- http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2247085&enterthread=y

for $300 you can take a chance on the SVA(sylvania) 24" mva panel. same panel inside as the old Soyo topaz.

Lightning983

Jun 27, 2008
OK, i'll check out those reviews now... but the reason i'm kind of tied between those monitors is the price, and availability.
I had the Dell 2408 but then i sold it because the input lag bothered me (and the Dell goes for 1000$ here)

And what about the TN Samsung? is that any good, because if that's enough for gaming? it doesn't have RTC, so is that a problem... and i know the HP has RTC...

Cellulose

May 14, 2007
Originally posted by: gorobei
your options dont really match your criteria. for general usage without the need for accuracy and minimal lag you might as well go for a budget 24" TN at the $300 range.

the 2475w is the best for color range and cheapest ips but has a good bit of lag according to reviews.

for $680 you might as well get the samsung 245T pva panel (same price)

for $520 you can try the dell 2408wfp s-pva. i posted about it last week--- http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2247085&enterthread=y

for $300 you can take a chance on the SVA(sylvania) 24" mva panel. same panel inside as the old Soyo topaz.

Both the Dell and 245T have significantly more lag then the HP. See tftcentral.co.uk

Blazer7

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2007
I can't comment on the HP but I'm very satisfied with my 2493HM. It's a good all around monitor. It sports VGA, DVI (HDCP) & HDMI connections and the stand is absolutely awesome. The only downside for me is its power consumption (~100W).

Lightning983

Jun 27, 2008
Okay, i just checked out the PRAD review's on both monitors, i prefer the HP, but i'm a bit bothered by the "corona" effect, and the Input Lag they found...
Anyone has some experience with this lag? is it really a problem or is it too low on this monitor to be a problem...

In contrast the Samsung has no input lag, but isn't really good for watching movies... as PRAD says.

Damn... i really hate these kind of decisions :D

Blazer7

Golden Member
Jun 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Lightning983
Anyone has some experience with this lag? is it really a problem or is it too low on this monitor to be a problem...

Input lag IS a problem, especially if you are a gamer. There 're many clips on youtube about input lag so it may be best that you have a look there. I doubt that you'll find any clips about the monitors that you 're interested in but at least you 'll get an idea.

masteryoda34

Golden Member
Dec 17, 2007
You could also consider the LG L246WP, which has an MVA panel. I've been using one for about 8 months now and I love it. Luckily I was able to get mine at BestBuy for ~$400 on clearance. Just make sure you pick up a DVI to HDMI cable for it.