Buying a jack for about $100...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I am now torn between these two, much more expensive though than $100 :(

The AC Hydraulic DK13HLQ goes up to 29" of lift and should easily get under my M3 when I lower it.

The Omega 29023 only goes to 20", but has a little more clearance than the DK13HLQ (and about half the price).

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I don't have a 20% off coupon though. Know where I can get one?

Many magazines have them in the back - I have seen them in Popular Mechanics, Maxim, National Geographic - all over.

You can get them online too.

Like this:
harborfreight0306.jpg

from
http://www.dealsoff.com/harbor-freight-coupons/

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Oops - says not valid on floor jacks. Let me see if I have any that will work, I can scan.

"20SAVE" works online - but not for jacks. :(

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I just checked 2 coupons I have - none are valid on floor jacks.

Sorry, I had no idea.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
I just bought a husky 3 ton jack from home depot and it gets the job done. Only costs 60 bucks too.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Most people think their $50 aluminum jacks are great too...until you see one taco.

If it can lift an Expedition no problem it can lift just about any car.

Also that is why you use jackstands. Anyone with a half a brain doesn't work underneath a floor jack.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
If it can lift an Expedition no problem it can lift just about any car.

Also that is why you use jackstands. Anyone with a half a brain doesn't work underneath a floor jack.

You are a clueless individual with obviously not a whole lot of experience. BTW thanks for complaining about my other thread.

It's not always about working under a vehicle either.

Stick with your aluminum jack with your Expedition.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
You are a clueless individual with obviously not a whole lot of experience. BTW thanks for complaining about my other thread.

It's not always about working under a vehicle either.

Stick with your aluminum jack with your Expedition.

The thing weighs like 50 lbs, I doubt it's aluminum. It's a 3 ton jack dude. Things this jack has helped me do so far: replacing the front and rear shocks/spring coils, the lower ball joints, and the tie rod ends. So far so good. I've spent my fair share of time under a car, I'm not a car owner that thinks working on a car is polishing the rims.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
buds jack is not aluminum and has little chance of "taco". 3 tons is 6000 lbs, an expo probably weighs about that. so, he has plenty of head room, as there is no way to balance the entire thing on the jack.

alk: please think before you type comments like this:

"You are a clueless individual with obviously not a whole lot of experience. BTW thanks for complaining about my other thread."

IMHO, those of us that frequent the garage are getting tired of the attitude you seem to have against everyone here.

I believe that the garage forum is one of the most civil and helpful groups on the site and i would like to see that continue.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
buds jack is not aluminum and has little chance of "taco". 3 tons is 6000 lbs, an expo probably weighs about that. so, he has plenty of head room, as there is no way to balance the entire thing on the jack.

alk: please think before you type comments like this:

"You are a clueless individual with obviously not a whole lot of experience. BTW thanks for complaining about my other thread."

IMHO, those of us that frequent the garage are getting tired of the attitude you seem to have against everyone here.

I believe that the garage forum is one of the most civil and helpful groups on the site and i would like to see that continue.

Yeah, like me not agreeing that cinder blocks make good jack stands...if his jack is 50lbs and 3 tons, I'd assume it was aluminum.

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
Yeah, like me not agreeing that cinder blocks make good jack stands...if his jack is 50lbs and 3 tons, I'd assume it was aluminum.

I wasn't aware that cinder blocks were built for supporting vehicles.

I am pretty sure that aluminum floor jacks are built for lifting vehicles, though.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I wasn't aware that cinder blocks were built for supporting vehicles.

I am pretty sure that aluminum floor jacks are built for lifting vehicles, though.

and 25 cent wrench for removing 'stubborn hardware' as well. YMMV with each.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
psa: cinder blocks should never, ever, ever be used for moving loads like lifting a car! a load off center will cause them to explode in a somewhat dramatic fashion.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
I just bought a husky 3 ton jack from home depot and it gets the job done. Only costs 60 bucks too.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1&ddkey=Search

I am assuming you mean this jack above.

My primary reason for looking at new jacks is to find something nearly of shop quality. Looking at the pic, the pump handle is not much different than some of the less expensive jacks I am accustomed to using. But the problem is, each takes about 10-15 pumps to get the car off its wheel, and even in doing so, they're iffy at best. While I'm sure it works as good or maybe even better than what I have now, I am looking for something that'll do the job quickly, which at least the HF ones boast the ability to lift most loads in 3.5 pumps, (specs say 5), as well as have a very wide lift margin (3" up to 21" or so).

At this point, if I were to consider such a jack, I'd probably buy the one I found at Sams for $69:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...cStoreNum=1950

Bit more heavy duty looking, a big solid handle that doesn't have to be moved to control the drop (just a twist of the handle I believe), and can be used on both vehicles. My only issue is that both it and the jack you mentioned don't seem to look like as good of products as say, this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/rapid-pump-2-ton-low-profile-heavy-duty-floor-jack-68050.html

or this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-68048.html

They just look like a quality product.

Additionally, after some debate and discussion with the wife, I'll be making a call to Costco today to see if they carry the Arcan jack that some of the people on here have mentioned:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...4?tag=at055-20

If I can grab it for $150 locally ($95 plus $55 membership), I think I'll do that. Seems to be one of the higher rated jacks out there, and is just a bit above my budget. Also gives my wife and I a chance to evaluate Costco for the next year to see if we'd prefer it over Sams. Granted, our Sams membership is $35ish so it's gonna need to be $20 better. But in any case, as I've discussed the jacks I am looking at, I really feel as though the Arcan jack is by far the best I've seen that is around my price point, and she'd rather I buy the best one I can now so I am not looking again in 3-5 years. Essentially, if I am going to spend $100 on one I kinda like, why not spend $150 on one that I think I'll really like.

Now, the fate of my next jack is in Costco's hands. I am just hoping they can give me a quick easy answer as to whether they have it in stock. If they do, to Costco I'll go.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
A quick call to CostCo over lunch reveals that they have 16 in stock. Can't quote exact prices over the phone (so I was told) but the price is under $110. To Costco I'll go.

Thanks for the help guys. It has been very much appreciated.

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
what neck of the woods are you in? i've got a membership to Costco and would be willing to meet up at one near me. that way you wouldn't have to spend an extra $55 on a membership.

Last edited:

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
what neck of the woods are you in? i've got a membership to Costco and would be willing to meet up at one near me. that way you wouldn't have to spend an extra $55 on a membership.

He is in Omaha. Unless you already knew and were asking for a more specific location.

Oh, and if you end up not liking costco, they'll refund your membership fee (prorated) so you don't have to wait out a full year.

amish

Diamond Member
Aug 20, 2004
He is in Omaha. Unless you already knew and were asking for a more specific location.

Oh, and if you end up not liking costco, they'll refund your membership fee (prorated) so you don't have to wait out a full year.

did not know either point you made. cool about costco and the refund.

edit: and i'm not in omaha so i couldn't help. and it looks like it wouldn't be necessary anyways.