Buying a high end vs entry level same chipset board

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by slicksilver, Dec 20, 2012.

1. slicksilver

slicksilver Golden Member

Consider a Z77 entry level board vs a top end Z77 board...does it have any difference in terms of performance if the additional features and OC don't matter? I'm thinking NO but just wanted a confirmation.

2. Loading...

3. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

None at all. A 50$ board performs identically to a 300$ board in performance. (Assume stock.)

Even at OC, a 300$ board wont be much better than a 100$ board. Rest is features and bling bling.

4. Jetster...

Jetster... Member

So i guess those larger heat sinks on the north bridge and mosfet dont really do anything?

5. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Not at stock speed. And there aint any northbridge, only a PCH chip. And for that its 100% useless.

6. Soulkeeper

Soulkeeper Diamond Member

It kinda angers me how fragmented the mobo makers have gotten over the years.
    Just looking at any socket from the big 3 and you're bound to find 10+ different versions from each.

That being said I usually get a midrange board, something good enough to have an ethusiast oriented bios, but without all the nonsense extra percs.

Hell ECS even makes a gold plated motherboard now ...
    Just like all the non-sense mice/keyboards on the market these days .... How many buttons/features does a mouse really need ?

7. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

It might be worse after Haswell when the VRM goes ondie. Then mobomakers will be even more desperate in a way to diversify their products.

8. WhoBeDaPlaya

WhoBeDaPlaya Diamond Member

I'd argue that there can be a difference. The Asrock Z77 Pro4 was an utter piece of *!*&@ when trying to OC a Sandy (VRM kept thermal throttling), while the Extreme4 was alright.

9. Insert_Nickname

Insert_Nickname Platinum Member

Same here... :):thumbsup:

10. Eureka

Eureka Diamond Member

Find the cheapest motherboards with the Z77 chipset, look at all the ones within a $10-20 range of each other. Find the one with the best review, best features you want, and go with it. Don't pay more for things you don't need... like that diamond-plate they have on those sabertooths.

11. lehtv

lehtv Elite Member

That's true. For overclocking beyond mild to moderate, 8 phases makes a lot of difference compared to 4 phases, and that's not comparing a $50 board to $300, but $100 to $130.

12. Kenmitch

Kenmitch Diamond Member

If it was me I wouldn't shop for a MB entirely by price....You get what you pay for.

You don't need to get the most expensive but many decent MB's can be had for around $130 or even less.

#11 Kenmitch, Dec 21, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2012