Buying a camera tomorrow at Best Buy

TheBDB

Diamond Member
Jan 26, 2002
I need to buy a camera tomorrow at Best Buy, and so far I was checking out the Canon SD800IS or the Nikon S50. Anyone have any opinions on which of these is better, or is there something else I should look at?

nnnyyy

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
panasonic tz3 is one that I was considering as well. I really liked that sd800 because of the wide angle and IS. Then I played with the tz3 and it has the IS, wide angle, and 10x zoom. It is a little larger (~.5" both sides) though.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
any reason why you are buying from best buy and not an online retailer where you could probably get it for much cheaper?

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
canon, nikon's shutter lag is god awful. nikon's compacts are generally horrendous.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex
any reason why you are buying from best buy and not an online retailer where you could probably get it for much cheaper?

Yeah the TZ3 was $350 at BB, I got it for $296 shipped from newegg.

But anyway, back to the camera issue...

I recently did a search far and wide for the best compact camera I could get for under $300. After reading numerous reviews and spending a few days going around to camera shops listening to what they had to say, I decided on the TZ3. It's very, very nice. The only problem is the lack of manual controls, but for a P&S camera, I like the automation.

http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2055683&enterthread=y at the bottom for some pics I've taken.

edit: and the camera came with a free 1gb SD card too :D

Jawo

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Please...what ever camera you get, DO NOT buy from BestBuy! They are overpriced and not worth it unless you needed the camera yesterday! Newegg, ZZF, B&H, Adorama, have much better Customer Service and usually cheaper prices.

I see your in Hawaii.... so go to your local camera shop and support them before buying it from BB. Shipping might kill any savings......

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: nnnyyy
panasonic tz3 is one that I was considering as well. I really liked that sd800 because of the wide angle and IS. Then I played with the tz3 and it has the IS, wide angle, and 10x zoom. It is a little larger (~.5" both sides) though.

i would not recommend the SD800IS. It has some serious corner softness issues at its widest. Check out the sample pics in dpreview.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
I think you can buy it from Best Buy than from online retailers because Best Buy can offer you extended warranty. I bought Canon Powershot A610 and they want me to buy extended 2 years warranty for 30 dollars. I have no idea about online retailers come with extended warranty.

Rottie

Diamond Member
Feb 10, 2002
I think you can buy it from Best Buy than from online retailers because Best Buy can offer you extended warranty. I bought Canon Powershot A610 and they want me to buy extended 2 years warranty for 30 dollars. I have no idea about online retailers come with extended warranty.

Canai

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2006
Originally posted by: Rottie

Newegg offers extended warranties.

Dec 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Rottie

Buying the extended warranty on a digital camera, especially one that is less than $500 is a waste of money. If you don't buy extended warranties, you basically become self-insured, and the one time you do need it, you basically covered it by not buying extended warranties. If you want to extend the warranty, just use a warranty extended CC and it should be fine.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Originally posted by: pontifex

I got my SD800IS at best Buy for $306 with a price-match from Circuit City - 10% so I only paid a few bucks more then Newegg & had a local place to return/exchange it if thee was a problem which was totally worth it... bought the extra battery & memory card from the egg though.

So far its a great camera ... I havn't played around with the limited manual settings much yet, but the automatic settings have been flawless & the image-stabilization has worked very well.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I just got Lumix FZ8 for my wife. It's fine for a p&s. And you can get it from Amazon, paying no local sales tax :)