Buyer filed a dispute against me in paypal, am I boned?

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
I sold some motorcycle forks (front suspension) to a buyer on another online forum. He sent me the money over paypal on Aug. 6th in the evening. I told him that I wouldnt be able to ship them until the next week, probably Tuesday the 10th at the earliest. Next week came around and I got very busy with school and work that I just plain forgot to ship them.

I finally shipped the forks out on Friday morning the 13th on my way to class. When I got out of class around noon I got an email from him asking if the forks had shipped out yet. He informed me that he couldnt wait for mine to arrive and decided to buy some other forks from someone else and asked me for a refund. I apologized for the delay and informed him that a refund was impossible as they had already been shipped.

This past Tuesday the 17th he emails me demanding a refund and says that if they show up at his place he will refuse delivery. The following morning he filed a dispute through paypal saying the items were never received.

Right now Im not really sure how to respond to him through the paypal resolution claim center. The tracking numbers show the package will arrive this Saturday the 21st but if he refuses delivery they will just come back to me and I will have no proof of delivery. Without proof paypal will instantly side with him and Ill be out the $50 it cost to ship these things.

What happens when you refuse delivery on a package? Will the tracking number show that delivery was refused and item was returned to sender? Did I pretty much just get screwed out of $50?

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
It should still show an attempted delivery. Respond with the tracking number and also note that you had told him you could not ship until Tuesday at the earliest. If someone said that and they went out Friday, he shouldn't be too surprised.

However...you gotta send stuff on time. It makes everyone's life (including your own) much easier.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
You're fucked. Shoulda shipped them out on time.

And what would have been considered on time? I told the guy before he paid me that they would go out on Tuesday at the earliest but I made it very clear that was not a guarantee and that they may go out later. He accepted this and then paid me.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002
It definitely it partly my fault but I really dont think a 3-4 day window for shipping is unreasonable, especially when dealing with items that weigh 30 pounds and have to be packaged in odd shapped boxes.

IcePickFreak

Platinum Member
Jul 12, 2007
Think of it from his side. He sent the money, and a week later your first just saying your shipping them out. He probably figured he was about to get scammed by some guy over the internet. You could of boxed/packaged them up earlier when you first decided to make to sell them on an internet forum (meaning they're most likely going to shipped).

I wouldn't look at it as getting screwed/scammed out of $50 so much as a lesson learned.

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
You should have contacted him first. There have been plenty of instances where I've run into trouble getting to the PO, but I always make sure I recontact the buyer before final shipping.

It's kinda stupid he didn't contact you first, which is what I would have done if I was as in a hurry as this guy sounds like he was.

Unfortunately though you are in a no-win situation. Paypal won't let you withhold the shipping funds if it finds him the winner. The only thing you can do is ask the buyer to allow you to refund a partial amount so you can recoup some of your loss on the shipping. 50 percent of the shipping cost may be appropriate, but paypal will probably not side with you no matter what.

Scan the receipt for shipping and submit it. Ask for a reduced refund.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
I would have done the same thing as the buyer. You shouldn't be so slack. Learn to manage your time better.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
It definitely it partly my fault but I really dont think a 3-4 day window for shipping is unreasonable, especially when dealing with items that weigh 30 pounds and have to be packaged in odd shapped boxes.

He sent me the money over paypal on Aug. 6th
I finally shipped the forks out on Friday morning the 13th

3-4 days? Don't leave school.

MikeMike

Lifer
Feb 6, 2000
3-4 days? Don't leave school.

go back to first grade and learn to read...

"He sent me the money over paypal on Aug. 6th in the evening. I told him that I wouldnt be able to ship them until the next week, probably Tuesday the 10th at the earliest."

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Think of it from his side. He sent the money, and a week later your first just saying your shipping them out. He probably figured he was about to get scammed by some guy over the internet. You could of boxed/packaged them up earlier when you first decided to make to sell them on an internet forum (meaning they're most likely going to shipped).

I wouldn't look at it as getting screwed/scammed out of $50 so much as a lesson learned.

This

So many people get scammed. What he did was acceptable.

zylander

Platinum Member
Aug 25, 2002

Looks like I have to reiterate this;

The buyer knew before having paid that there was going to be a very real possibility of delayed shipment. The earliest possible date for shipment I gave him was the 10th, he knew perfectly well that it might go out that day or it might go out later that week. He accepted these terms BEFORE paying. Had I not made this clear I could understand where he was coming from but he was well aware of the shipping terms and agreed on them. I manage my time perfectly fine, which is why I informed him before hand that there may be a delay in shipping.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Looks like I have to reiterate this;

The buyer knew before having paid that there was going to be a very real possibility of delayed shipment. The earliest possible date for shipment I gave him was the 10th, he knew perfectly well that it might go out that day or it might go out later that week. He accepted these terms BEFORE paying. Had I not made this clear I could understand where he was coming from but he was well aware of the shipping terms and agreed on them. I manage my time perfectly fine, which is why I informed him before hand that there may be a delay in shipping.

He sent me the money over paypal on Aug. 6th in the evening. I told him that I wouldnt be able to ship them until the next week, probably Tuesday the 10th at the earliest. Next week came around and I got very busy with school and work that I just plain forgot to ship them.

I finally shipped the forks out on Friday morning the 13th on my way to class. When I got out of class around noon I got an email from him asking if the forks had shipped out yet. He informed me that he couldnt wait for mine to arrive and decided to buy some other forks from someone else and asked me for a refund. I apologized for the delay and informed him that a refund was impossible as they had already been shipped.

You said probably Tuesday the 10th the earliest. You did not contact him on the 10th, or the 11th, or the 12th, or the 13th until HE contacted you first. Then and only then did you say you shipped it out. You are the one that forgot and dropped the ball and didn't contact him for four days. Blame no one but yourself. When the 10th came around you should have contacted him telling him SOMETHING or hell, one of the other 4 days. You just shipped it without telling him FIRST that it was going out today. I certainly wouldn't want to deal with a seller like you.

Last edited:

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
looks l;ike your bad rating is well deserved!
When I use e-bay -- I always payt right away and I let it be known i expect my product shipped right away.
Wghen i sell something as soon as I see an item, I always box it up for shipping right waway!!

consider this a lesson learned!

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Like the others said, your own damn fault. After the buyer sends payment, you tell then then that the package is gonna be delayed four days. Then you don't even end up contacting the buyer until he tries to contact you -- this time a week after he paid.

Tracking shows that it won't arrive until the 21st -- more than two weeks after he paid. Ridiculous and unacceptable.

I ship my eBay stuff out the same day or the next day. I only list items if I have it right then and there to ship -- I don't fuck around with people's money because I don't like my money to be fucked around with.

Bottom line, you screwed up and got what you deserved.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
parts like that sometime are time sensitive. so yes you can't sit on shipment. you have to eat it

thescreensavers

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2005
If I sell anythig i make it a priority to ship out the product the same day or the nextday. Shipping quick = good turnout for both parties.

No one likes paying for goods and not reciving them when they expected to. But the guy should of sent you an email asking what'd up with the shipping.

Also when you buy things always ask for a tracking number so you know they shipped it. If you don't get a tracking number withing 3 days then you get to email him or her to find out what's happening.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
While I agree that your waiting/forgetting was a pretty stupid on your part, I'm not so sure about the fault being entirely yours. If I send money via PP to purchase something, I guess I just expect that I have purchased an item and I am going to receive it. As long as I have feedback from the seller, and the turn around is reasonable, I'll wait.

I dunno, but for myself, if whatever I am dealing with is expensive in any regard (shipping as you mentioned), I pretty much insist on being extremely quick about getting the thing turned out in a timely fashion. One such instance, but gun for goose hunting (and sold a different one) and both transactions were pretty quick and well communicated.

God Mode

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2005
Stop selling stuff over the web/mail until you can learn to prioritize things.

I got very busy with school and work that I just plain forgot to ship them.

:(

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Did I pretty much just get screwed out of $50?

No.

You just paid $50 to learn a good lesson. Make a promise ... keep a promise, ship when you say you are going to ship.

If asked who was "right" in this situation ... it is obviously the buyer.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Your fault.

I don't buy that excuse of "Oh it's big and akward, so it'll take me a while to ship." If you're going to sell something, have the materials right then and there ready to ship it, or take it to a shipping place the next day.

I almost always ship the next day (maybe the second day if things come up, but it's never because I forgot), and I really wish other people had the same courtesy. I mean, he bought the item on Aug 6 and it took you an entire week to ship it? That's unacceptable. I understand that there was a weekend in between, but you really should have tried to match your promise (tuesday) or earlier (monday).

It's not all your fault, you did get the items out and the buyer didn't handle it optimally, but most of the burden is on you.