Buy Orange box off steam

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
which is the better option? I don't do a lot of PC gaming and know absolutely nothing about steam, but I thought about getting the orange box for PC instead of my xbox. Is there any advantage from buying the retail box?

and can my PC even run TF2 very well? 1.86 GHz C2D, 3 GB RAM, nVidia 7900 GS

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: chrisg22
which is the better option? I don't do a lot of PC gaming and know absolutely nothing about steam, but I thought about getting the orange box for PC instead of my xbox. Is there any advantage from buying the retail box?

Safer for the environment if you buy the STEAM version ;)

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I know that there were some places selling it on sale for $40 or less. So in that case, it makes more sense due to the $10 savings.

I bought it off Steam since it was pre-purchase for $45 and mostly to play the TF2 beta weeks early which was essentially the full game. And I don't pay sales tax, so unless it is on sale in retail (and it won't be for me as I only have Walmart to buy from), Steam will be cheaper.

Normally I advocate Steam purchasing, and it's been great for me, but with TOB, you might be able to pay less retail, and if not, roughly the same. Of course, it if requires a fairly long drive or amount of time, Steam might be better. But more than likely, you can go to the store to buy it, come home and install, update, and be playing well before it is done downloading. And since TF2 is so damn good, I suggest going to the store NOW so you are playing ASAP.

Kur

Feb 19, 2005
Originally posted by: chrisg22

My laptop which has a Nvidia Quadro NVS100 (a card made for 3d rendering) with a year old video drivers ran it fine =P

Not at high settings but it ran it fine at 30FPS average.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I didn't feel like going out in the rain so I got it on steam. No difference to me. I kind of like steam. Ever since it keeps certificates of purchase on my computer so all I have to do is re-download if it every time my pc goes boom. Of course, buying the hard copy is no different.

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Steam is great for downloading games. You just log in and you can download your games whenever you want, unlike EA where you can only download for 6 months. You can also backup your Steam folder and even if you reinstall Windows you don't have to reinstall any of the Steam games.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Stas
DO NOT support EA by buying the box version. Buy it on Steam.

EA makes more profit from you buying the Steam version, than they do if you buy the hard copy, I can assure you.

Beev

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: myocardia

EA makes more profit from you buying the Steam version, than they do if you buy the hard copy, I can assure you.

Uh, no they don't. EA has absolutely no ties with Valve except for the PS3 port and the retail boxed copy. Valve runs Steam. Valve sees all the money from Steam.

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: Beev
Originally posted by: myocardia

Uh, no they don't. EA has absolutely no ties with Valve except for the PS3 port and the retail boxed copy. Valve runs Steam. Valve sees all the money from Steam.

Oh, you're right, I wasn't thinking. I couldn't remember if EA had bought those games in the Orange Box or not, and since I was thinking they had, they would make more profit, since they don't have to press CD/DVD's, print boxes, pay for shipping, etc. I hereby withdraw my incorrect statement.:Q

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
I'd buy them from Steam just to be safe. Downloading it shouldn't be a huge problem now, just leave it while you go to work or overnight.

bucwylde23

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2005
ahh I didn't know EA is selling the boxed copies. I hate EA, so I will definitely get it off of steam. I don't mind the download time.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Steam

Love it, dont have to take care of my cd's and dvd's, they get lost, scratched and so on. Just one login and all my games ar ein there ready at all times. More and more games are going to be released through steam in the future.

Uh and uninstalling doesnt leave crap on my computer, thats a good thing :)