Buy now or wait?

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
Will AMD/Intel have anything new coming down the pipe worth waiting for in the next couple of months?

I'm also very interested in USB 3.0 and SATA III.

GFORCE100

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: OneOfTheseDays
Will AMD/Intel have anything new coming down the pipe worth waiting for in the next couple of months?

I'm also very interested in USB 3.0 and SATA III.

In general you should evaluate what you have now, what you would have, what it will offer, whether you need it.

In other words undertake a SWOT analysis just as if you were evaluating commencing a business project.

Strengths:
- My system will be up to date
- My system will be speedy in all that I throw at it
- etc.

Weaknesses:
- It will cost be X amount to get it
- It will cost me X time to build and configure it
- It will cost me X time to overclock it
- etc.

Opportunities:
- It may very well stop me from needing to upgrade again for the next 3 years or so
- The system will probably be more energy efficient than my current PC (depending on what you have now)
- etc.

Threats:
- Current X58 S1366 motherboards don't come with USB3 onboard
- Current X58 S1366 motherboard don't come with SATA III 600MB/s support
- Intel will be releases 32nm i7 variants in about 6 months time (starting with Extreme edition for Q4 2009)
- If I spend on this new system now I won't be able to afford going on vacation/holiday as far as Europe this year
- etc.

Do that and all you're key questions will be answered.

Except for the i5 and an i7 960 and i7 Extreme 985 in late Q3 2009/early Q4 2009 I wouldn't expect Intel to unveil anything newer that's worth writing home about. The 32new CPU's will be improved however with more L2 cache per core and frequencies beyond 4GHz by around Q2/Q3 2010.

z1ggy

Lifer
May 17, 2008
I say wait..unless you really need an upgrade. If your system is lesser performing than mine I woudl say upgrade, but if its at mine or more don't even bother.

Jul 10, 2007
what's the throughput on usb3 and sata3?

i can see it being helpful on usb3 in real world usage, but aren't we not close to saturating sata2 because hd's can't keep that sustained?

Sacraster

May 31, 2001
Originally posted by: OCguy
No reason to wait.

agree with it. if you wait, there are always somethings new coming up. there is no point waiting, just get it and enjoy it :)

daw123

Platinum Member
Aug 30, 2008
If you can afford it and want it, then don't wait and buy it.

If you are waiting for the next best thing around the corner, then I'm afraid you will be waiting forever more, since there is always something better around the corner in the computer industry.

This is coming from the guy, who waited 4-5 months for the 920/950 (D0 stepping).