Buy IV or wait for Haswell?

Discussion in 'CPUs and Overclocking' started by Noulis, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Noulis

Noulis Junior Member

Hi everyone...i want to build a new rig cuz my current one is very old (cpu:intel pentium 4 640, gpu:nvidia 6200 turbo cache, mobo:gigabyte 81915PL-G with a 1.5 Gb of DDR memomy).
    So i was planning on getting an i5-3570k processor with sabertooth z77 mobo and a sapphire radeon 7870 oc gpu when christmas time come...But today i read that the new haswell processors will be out in 4-5 months...so my question is should i go for IV now or wait for the new haswell? my budget is limited to 800-850 euros(im from Greece) so even if i wait for the new haswell to come out idk if i will have enought money to buy them and the new set of motherboards that will be released.

The way i see it is better for me to go for the IV rig now and keep it untl the new skylake or skymont come out and change my whole rig again then....I'd like to hear some other opinions from you guys :)

#1 Noulis, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. pc999

pc999 Member

From Portugal here :D

I am trying to get money for a i5 IV too, as I will probably be stuck with my slow CPU forever, as my government is trying to install even more poverty too (if the revolution dont comes soon, but we are trying), given that I (like you will have a even better one) have a nice GPU, Hawell dont seems to bring much of a performance boost in x86 that worth to wait for, only on the integrated gpu.

Probably could be nice for power consumption, but I am not sure of how much in the desktops parts and we are using a lot more power in these old CPUs anyway...

Anyway good luck with the much needed revolution in there, we need a much more direct democracy and a new banking system (like the N.E.E.D. Act or "the Chicago plan revisited").

3. lambchops511

lambchops511 Senior member

Technology moves fast, buy/upgrade when you need to. If you "wait for the next thing", you'll never end up buying anything. I say go for the Ivy Bridge, its a good chip.

4. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

^^ This.

Either you wait for economic reasons. For example your upgrade cycle in financial terms. Or because what you got is currently sufficient.

Haswell is 5 months away or so. Thats also 5 months not having better performance.

And to the OP, if your budget is limited. Why waste so much on useless stuff for the mobo? Buy a cheaper Z77 board and a better GPU or save the money.

5. rgallant

rgallant Golden Member

-also the good 1150mb's[if you care] might not be there at the 5 month mark.
    -even 2 gen. z77 took 3 months after ib was released to get a high end bug free board's .
    -sb on release had bad chipset's. then came the mess of pci-e 3.0 ready mb's[for ib] when most of the switching chips only did pci-2.0 [won't pass 3.0]
    -so I would factor in 5 + 3 months .before I'd spent money on a 1150+ haswell to be sure.

#5 rgallant, Nov 10, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  6. nforce4max

nforce4max Member

If you go IVY you will end up with an already aging platform while you will get locked in with Haswell like 1156 users are today. I suggest that you aim for SB despite lacking pci-3.0 support it has better thermals and easier to overclock.

7. Noulis

Noulis Junior Member

The thing is i won't be doing any upgrade on this rig except maybe the graphic card for at least 3-4 years...by that time skylake processors is most likely to be out...so going for ivy and pci 3.0 now i find it a more future proof solution than the SB.

8. Noulis

Noulis Junior Member

Maybe you are right...i was thinking of buying the gigabyte GA-z77X-UD3H at first but the features of z77 sabertooth or lets say a msi z77 Mpower are so attractive x3

9. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Attractive for what? And is it worth it?

10. Noulis

Noulis Junior Member

Propably not worth it :p...hmm maybe ill go for ud3h and a 660 ti gpu

11. njdevilsfan87

njdevilsfan87 Golden Member

There's always SB-E (with a rumored 8-12 core IB-e upgrade path). Though when it comes to something like a 2700K vs a 3930K, I think both chips will pretty much last an absurd amount of time. We'll be on 2 years since the release of SB soon...

12. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

Wait for Haswell. Unless its a Q3 or Q4 release, then jump on the Ivy if you need it now!

13. tweakboy

tweakboy Diamond Member

Oh my gosh, Pentium 4. A Ivy or Haswell will not matter for you.. Either will do. OMG, you will be 100000000000000000x faster 10000000000000x more powerful with a Ivy. If video render takes 3 days for you, it will take 30 minutes. Just to give you a example.

14. aaksheytalwar

aaksheytalwar Diamond Member

Just upgrade now. But if you can really hard it out further (not recommended) then haswell might be the next big upgrade.

15. Remobz

Remobz Platinum Member

Get an Ivy 3550 or IVY 3570K and then just upgrade 2 years from now. Or wait a little longer?

16. Denithor

Denithor Diamond Member

Is there a used market in your country? Here in the US we can occasionally find pretty awesome deals on used parts. If you could put together an i5 750 with a decent socket 1156 motherboard on the cheap it would be a massive upgrade from your ancient P4 system. Add good DDR3, an SSD and a solid GPU (all of which can be carried forward into the next build) and you will easily last until Haswell comes out. Then replace the cpu/motherboard with Haswell and you're good to go for a long time.

17. Makaveli

Makaveli Diamond Member

Ivy-E will be a 6 core chip!

I would buy IVY over SB right now.

And for the other guy saying haswell is only going to bring IGP improvements how about you wait until its out to be making statements like that.

Unless you have an engineering sample and work for intel!

18. AtenRa

AtenRa Lifer

I will suggest the ASUS Maximus V GENE and any Core i5 or Core i7 IvyBridge. No need to wait if you really feel you need a new system. If you need help for buying the hardware you could join me at forum.oktabit.gr ;)

19. Noulis

Noulis Junior Member

I signed in :)

20. Noulis

Noulis Junior Member

Well not exactly...when is christmas time they do discounts in some stuff but the don't have offers like cpu and mobo for $$$

21. Noulis

Noulis Junior Member

The promblem is right now with my correct rig i strungle to play even league of legends xD...i can't play any game on this pc anymore :p

#21 Noulis, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  22. Zardnok

Zardnok Senior member

My current rig is an I5-3570 w/ Sabertooth Z77 motherboard and I love it. That said, if you are on a budget, there are a number of things I would spend money on that was not a Sabertooth board. You could take the $75-100 premium you will spend for the Sabertooth and put that into an SSD drive to handle your OS, apps, and a game or two.

23. Jaydip

Jaydip Diamond Member

Please don't quote the spam
    -ViRGE

#23 Jaydip, Nov 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2012
  24. videoclone

videoclone Golden Member

Get an Asrock motherboard and with the money saved from not getting a Sabertooth get a 128gb Samsung 830, Sandisk, Crucial, Corsair or intel SSD for the Operating system!