Question Buy due to GPU prices?

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
I’m toying with the idea of upgrading/replacing a home built i5 7500 3.4, GTX 1050 TI build I have (32 gig of ram). I primarily play older RPG but do multibox and since I upgraded to a 34inch wide the FPS is down to about 45 on average.

looked at a new GPU but of course it’s crazy out there price wise and part of me is just wondering if you are better off going to HP Omen or even the Aura AMD series due to graphics card prices. Finding any in stock is a nightmare or crazy price seems like it might be worthwhile to buy at this point.

Just curious on thoughts out there as I’m not as up to date these days and browsing newegg video cards are just not available.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yes, buying a pre-built PC is probably the fastest, easiest, and potentially cheaper route to getting one of the newer GPUs, without paying "scalper prices".

That said, pre-builts generally suck in a myriad of different ways:
1) cheaper, lower-end, custom-mfg parts (missing many extra little features that DIY parts have, including BIOS settings)
2) proprietary parts... WATCH OUT!
3) markup, especially in the higher echelons of pre-built (read: "Gaming") PCs.

That said, they seem to have the newest GPUs, and actually AVAILABLE in pre-builts. Maybe you could buy a pre-built, take out the GPU and put it into your rig, and sell off the pre-built, minus the GPU, to a non-gamer? That would make the most sense to me, if it's feasible.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
If you're desperate, get a pre-built, harvest the GPU, sell the system part by part or as a whole to recoup cost minus the card.

If you're not desperate, just lower the resolution to 1080p, drop quality settings into medium range, play on and wait for another release cycle.

Very best,

Reactions: BillClo1

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
Some good points and appreciate the comments. these days I mostly play Everquest so it’s not like I’m hurting even at 45 FPS, it just drives me a bit nuts personally.

the other item is I don’t even care about a top end GPU. I truly was looking at a nice midrange one where I could get a bump but anything in stock seems to be $700 or so - at that point why not pick up a Alienware Aura for $1300-$1400 or so As an example.

Last few pc builds ( i run two side by side) I’ve tended to replace rather than upgrade as it’s a slightly bit more and you end up with a cleaner setup (outside of GPU replacements that is).

I’ve just watched GPU market this year in a bit of surprise and given where the world/economy is it it’s hard to see it changing this year. I hope I’m wrong and I’m certainly not looking for Ndivia/Radeon top end new releases - I don’t play new games not an FPS player anyway - but it‘s a little annoying that you can’t even get a mid-range upgrade. Maybe they will change but it’s hard to see it anytime soon.

Intel pushing to market with GPU maybe will help but it seems like that‘s going to take another year or so.

MalVeauX

Dec 19, 2008
Don't hold your breath on Intel GPU. This isn't the first time. While they have the capital to throw at it, they're not going to commit to a GPU battle with nVidia/AMD other than at the very lowest end of the market for pre-build and integrated stuff.

The GPU market will will not recover any time soon. Not this year. Not next year. And this year isn't new at all. It's been hiked up for a long while now.

Very best,

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
Don't hold your breath on Intel GPU. This isn't the first time. While they have the capital to throw at it, they're not going to commit to a GPU battle with nVidia/AMD other than at the very lowest end of the market for pre-build and integrated stuff.

The GPU market will will not recover any time soon. Not this year. Not next year. And this year isn't new at all. It's been hiked up for a long while now.

Very best,

I feel like Intel strategically needs some type of hold in marketplace with the impact of Apple CPUs but who knows if they can pull it off.

Agreed on all of the rest though in regards to GPU market recovery Which is why it feels like these semi-decent pre-builts when on sale (like this weekend) are Actually fairly solid buys these days.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

Check this one out if you don't want to build. I posted this in another thread too. (Now I just know that it will sell out before I can save up for one.)

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008

Check this one out if you don't want to build. I posted this in another thread too. (Now I just know that it will sell out before I can save up for one.)
That actually sounds like a downgrade from what he has now. Less RAM, unknown on the status of his current drives, slightly better CPU, and still a meh GPU.

OP, I would look into possibly an upgrade to an i7, such as the 7700k (used of course), along with a decent used GPU. Something like an RX 580 8GB / 1060 6GB or above, which would still be better than a 1050Ti, but should not be too much money if you find a good deal. I suspect a sweet spot may be a used GTX 1070.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That actually sounds like a downgrade from what he has now. Less RAM, unknown on the status of his current drives, slightly better CPU, and still a meh GPU.

The CPU is a 6C/12T, his current CPU is a 4C/4T, so definite upgrade. The RAM and GPU from his existing system can be moved over. Likely the drives too.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Hmm, that is a decent point. I suppose the PSU might also be able to be swapped, though it could be iffy. Might need a better one for a GTX 1070 class card.

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
Well I caved an just bought one of the Alienware aurora deals that popped up this week. I’ve built a dozen pcs or so over last 15 years but the graphics card mess just made me lose patience and i don’t feel i’m Losing much for once.

Ryazan 7 3800x, 1tb SSD, RTX 2080 Super, 32gig of ram. I couldn’t find a decent card under $700 right now so it just seemed like easiest solution. There’s a 3080 deal coming later this week might be even better but given my type of games i should be fine with th 2080 for some time.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Prebuilt gaming PCs really are the only choice for someone get a hold of a decent gaming GPU now.

What did you pay for your Alienware? Over on Slickdeals I saw Dell has one starting on Feb 11 for $1200. Maybe that is the one with the RTX 3070 you mentioned coming later this week?

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
Prebuilt gaming PCs really are the only choice for someone get a hold of a decent gaming GPU now.

What did you pay for your Alienware? Over on Slickdeals I saw Dell has one starting on Feb 11 for $1200. Maybe that is the one with the RTX 3070 you mentioned coming later this week?

$1600. Not the best deal but not A bad one either. It was simple and I don’t have to sit around searching for GPU. It’s nuts what’s going on and as mentioned doesn’t seem like there is end in sight.

But yes the deal you flagged is the one coming later. I feel like that one’s not a bad deal either but I waneed the bigger SSD and i feel like the 3800x was the better way to go. But it cost a few hundred mor also so sort of a wash I suppose. Well also wasn’t out Sunday when I bought it.

Last edited:
Reactions: UsandThem