buy.com : ROQ-IT DMP-HD610 10GB PORTABLE USB HARD DRIVE/MP3 PLAYER

SpongeBobPalmBay

Nov 9, 2001
Price mistake of the day...

ROQ-IT DMP-HD610 10GB PORTABLE USB HARD DRIVE/MP3 PLAYER $199 / free shipping

EDIT: This is the lowest price on the net by $30 --- but the reviews are horrid.

jtallon

Golden Member
May 13, 2001
Good price on a so-so player. The HD is replaceable easily, which is nice, and the display is large. But The Roq-IT is a rebadged Neo Jukebox from SSI-America, and their firmware updates have been few and far between, and generally of poor quality (yeah - I know that's my opinion...). Also, battery life sucks on these models - it's something like 2 hours per charge...

But this price is the best I've seen.

Personally, I'd go with the Rio Riot for $309 at J&R, or stack coupons and deals to get the new Nomad Jukebox III with firewire for about $350 from dell.com, assuming the right combination of coupons still exists. Both of these plays have the backing of larger parent companies, higher quality software, etc.

BUT, neither one will work as a portable HD, which the Roq-It and Neo Jukebox (and Archos for that matter) will do. So I guess it's personal perference, but I personally have found the SSI/Roq-It to be a poor quality device. I'm speaking from experience too - I owned a SSI-America Neo 25 (predecessor to the Neo Jukebox/Roq-It) that arrived from the factory with the LCD panel installed incorrectly, and I actually bought a Neo Jukebox when they first came out for $450, and it was DOA - I spent 2 days charging the battery, calling customer support, trying to upgrade firmware, etc. But it never worked...

Hope this isn't consider a thread-crap - I'm just stating that while the price is good, the quality of the product isn't very good. I've got my eye on the Rio Riot from J&R myself...