Buy a car and get a handgun FREE!!

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Buy a car and get a free gun at U.S. car dealer

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (Reuters) - A Missouri car dealer said on Thursday sales have soared at his auto and truck business since launching a promotion this week that promises buyers a free handgun or a $250 (126 pound) gas card with every purchase.

Max Motors, a small Butler, Missouri dealership that has as its logo a grimacing cowboy wielding a pistol, has sold more than 30 cars and trucks in the last three days, far more than its normal volume. And owner Mark Muller credits his decision to start offering buyers their choice of a $250 gas card or a $250 credit at a gun shop.

"This thing has taken off. Sales have quadrupled," said Muller. The store sells both used and new vehicles including General Motors and Ford products.

I like the idea. I'm sure some politicians won't like it but what can they do? I support this type of sales tactics because I believe guns keep crime down. If everyone had a gun, criminals would think twice before committing a crime.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: PC Surgeon
If everyone had a gun, criminals would think twice before committing a crime.

Yes, yes, because criminals are known for their deliberative thought processes.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
I suppose a handgun could become useful at the gas station in your new SUV/4x4, but probably not in the way intended in the publicity stunt.

ScottMac

Moderator<br>Networking<br>Elite member
Mar 19, 2001
The car dealership issues you a coupon with the purchase of the car.

You then drive your coupon (in your new car) to the gun shop and exchange your coupon for the weapon, following all of the laws, regulations, rules (including the background checks and waiting period, if any).

Oct 30, 2004

This reminds me of that scene in Bowling for Columbine where a bank in Michigan was offering something along the lines of: "Open a new checking account and get a free gun!".

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
There are sure some intelligent people in Butler, Missouri. All you do is spend 1000x more than the price of a gun on a car....and you get the gun!!!

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: Thump553
I suppose a handgun could become useful at the gas station in your new SUV/4x4, but probably not in the way intended in the publicity stunt.

:laugh: :thumbsup: :laugh:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
They don't even mention if more people are choosing the gun or the gas card.

JohnnyGage

Feb 18, 2008
Originally posted by: WhipperSnapper

This reminds me of that scene in Bowling for Columbine where a bank in Michigan was offering something along the lines of: "Open a new checking account and get a free gun!".

I didn't know there were still people out there who thought that scene was real. It was staged for your enjoyment. Some things Fat Ass left out:

A) You had to put 5k in a money market accout
B) There was a one month waiting period with a background check
C) There were other options to choose from besides the rifle

Remember Fat Ass makes opion pieces not documentaries. And as long as those buying the car and getting the gun have to go the usual background check there shouldn't be any problem with it.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I posted this in Off-Topic last night as well. In the rest of the story, the car dealer says:
"Every buyer so far "except one guy from Canada and one old guy" has elected to take the gun."

While I don't have any issue with this, I'd rather just have $250 off the price of the dammed car. You gotta suspect that the prices have been jacked up a bit to pay for this anyway. Only a moron would see this as a real deal...
"OMG! I'm a gonna get me a GUN!"

It's just another car dealer gimmick.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: JohnnyGage

I didn't know there were still people out there who thought that scene was real. It was staged for your enjoyment. Some things Fat Ass left out:

Remember Fat Ass makes opion pieces not documentaries. And as long as those buying the car and getting the gun have to go the usual background check there shouldn't be any problem with it.

So in other words Michael Moore filmed himself opening an account with them and getting a gun. He even has an extended scene showing himself filling out the background check forms, but because they didn't show him sitting around the house watching TV in the interim IT'S ALL A LIE BY COMRADE FAT ASS.

It's almost like his point was that people in America are so gun crazy that they give them out at banks, one of the places where people would least like to see someone with a gun, not the ease of which you can get a gun in America. If he wanted to show how easy it was to get a gun there are way better ways to show it. But hey, don't let using your brain get in the way of your OUTRAGE.

By the way, calling him 'Fat Ass' just makes you look stupid.

JohnnyGage

Feb 18, 2008
Originally posted by: eskimospy

So in other words Michael Moore filmed himself opening an account with them and getting a gun. He even has an extended scene showing himself filling out the background check forms, but because they didn't show him sitting around the house watching TV in the interim IT'S ALL A LIE BY COMRADE FAT ASS.

It's almost like his point was that people in America are so gun crazy that they give them out at banks, one of the places where people would least like to see someone with a gun, not the ease of which you can get a gun in America. If he wanted to show how easy it was to get a gun there are way better ways to show it. But hey, don't let using your brain get in the way of your OUTRAGE.

I should have known, god forbid I have a differing opinion. It's not anymore stupid than any other nick name for a conservative or GWB around here--then it's okay. I think MM hypocryitical, elitest, a hole and you think the same of GWB and that's fine.

I'm with Boomer, give me the $250 or the dang gas card.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
It's interesting because other companies are offering much bigger incentives. Like Dodge/Chrysler offering $2.99 gas/diesel for 3 years. Diesel in particular is well over $4 and on its way to $5 and beyond.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

I should have known, god forbid I have a differing opinion. It's not anymore stupid than any other nick name for a conservative or GWB around here--then it's okay. I think MM hypocryitical, elitest, a hole and you think the same of GWB and that's fine.

It's amazing how often I see people put forth the argument on here that "someone else is doing something stupid, so that makes the stupid thing I'm doing ok".

Also, I don't think GWB is an elitist at all. I wish he were an elitist because then he might actually value the opinions of elites. This might have saved him from a whole load of catastrophic mistakes.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Originally posted by: BoomerD
I posted this in Off-Topic last night as well. In the rest of the story, the car dealer says:
"Every buyer so far "except one guy from Canada and one old guy" has elected to take the gun."

While I don't have any issue with this, I'd rather just have $250 off the price of the dammed car. You gotta suspect that the prices have been jacked up a bit to pay for this anyway. Only a moron would see this as a real deal...
"OMG! I'm a gonna get me a GUN!"

It's just another car dealer gimmick.

I love car dealer gimmicks. It's the only business I can think of where gigantic inflatable apes and huge rotating spotlights are still considered good marketing ideas. I would love to know if there is a single recorded case of someone seeing a spotlight in the sky and then deciding to go and purchase a car from wherever is generating it.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
I rather have the gas card if I am buying a car. Gas is hovering around 4 dollars a gallon in my neck of the woods. If I really wanted to buy a gun that badly I'd save myself the hassle of spending tens of thousands of dollars and instead head to my local gun shop. I wonder how many of those buyers had criminal records and thought they would get a gun for free no questions asked.

JohnnyGage

Feb 18, 2008

It's amazing how often I see people put forth the argument on here that "someone else is doing something stupid, so that makes the stupid thing I'm doing ok".

Also, I don't think GWB is an elitist at all. I wish he were an elitist because then he might actually value the opinions of elites. This might have saved him from a whole load of catastrophic mistakes.

Actually MM is the only liberal I refer to in that way--I guess I have MMDS.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Nebor
They don't even mention if more people are choosing the gun or the gas card.

From the story
Every buyer so far "except one guy from Canada and one old guy" has elected to take the gun, Muller said. Muller recommends his customers select a Kel-Tec .380 pistol.

Silly Canadians...