Buy 770 GTX now or wait?

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I currently have a Radeon 5850. I was planning on getting an R9 290 but of course the price of those is very high now due to miners. I've been waiting for the mining bubble to burst, thinking it would happen when the litecoin mining difficulty got high enough, but miners have just moved to other crypto currencies and there seems to be no end in sight.

The GTX 770 seems to have the best bang for the buck in my price range right now, and if I upgrade now while mining is still hot, my 5850 will still have some value on ebay.

I'm just worried that if I buy now I'll regret it in a month or two. Is Nvidia going to release mid/high end Maxwell's soon? Are 20nm cards coming any time soon?

nwo

Platinum Member
Jun 21, 2005
I doubt that the high end Maxwells will be coming anytime soon. I think they are gonna try to milk the low/mid range segment for a while, that's what they have done in the past.

If you want to upgrade to Maxwell, grab a guilt free GTX 760 when they go on sale for ~$200. So you're only gonna be spending about $150 for the upgrade. I'd do it right away if I were you, while you can still pocket about $60-70 for the 5850 after shipping and fees.

There is no detailed ETA on other Maxwell cards... just that it will be released sometime this year. Nvidia has already fulfilled that promise with the 750Ti, so who knows when others are coming.

ETA: Ah, just saw you're in Canada.... No clue what the Canadian prices are, I was referencing US prices. Hopefully, there will be some similarities. There isn't a huge difference between the 760 and 770, it's only about 20%. So if you have to pay an additional $100 or more for the 770, I don't think it would be worth it.

Squeetard

Nov 13, 2004
Depends on what games you play. If you can wait until fall I would. That is supposed to be when the 20nm shrink hits.