Buttons in cars better than touch screen

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
This seems like such a Boomer argument to me. Didn't phones have buttons in the recent past? Yeah they did....Does anyone's phone have buttons now?

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Phones with buttons made better phones.

Yeah sometimes I feel I should have a working land line phone in the house, even if it's some kind of voip setup of sorts that relies on internet Imagine you're in an emergency situation where you can't see or can barely use your fingers. Good luck using a cell phone! That was originally my main motive for keeping my land line, it just felt more safe to have for emergency use, but then I also didn't like paying $40+/mo for it... so ultimately I did cancel it with plan to setup a voip system or something which I never ended up doing.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
This seems like such a Boomer argument to me. Didn't phones have buttons in the recent past? Yeah they did....Does anyone's phone have buttons now?

Smartphones with touch-screens make sense and are very useful.

Huge bright touch-screens in vehicles flying down the road and distracting the human behind the wheel when they need to be used are a bad idea.

For the entertainment system or for the "preferences/settings" menu for the vehicle a screen is fine but not for critical systems... it's simply not safe.

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Smartphones with touch-screens make sense and are very useful.

Huge bright touch-screens in vehicles flying down the road and distracting the human behind the wheel when they need to be used are a bad idea.

For the entertainment system or for the "preferences/settings" menu for the vehicle a screen is fine but not for critical systems... it's simply not safe.
You sound like @IronWing does about phones. It's coming bro just like EVs are. Either you get on board with it or you start to sound like my father....

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
You sound like @IronWing does about phones. It's coming bro just like EVs are either you get on board with it or you start to sound like my father....
In your less than humble opinion, what makes a touch screen better as a driver interface?

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Yes, they did, that's why I typed it. Do I need to go ex cathedra on your punk ass?

With older Smartphones and their sketchy touch-screens/slowish cpu's I was sometimes left missing a good old-fashioned button-keyboard but with my last several the software-keyboard has performed flawlessly. (I use Swiftkey)

It's a good thing to have a "hardware" power button on smartphones so you can "force" a reset if they lock up but that really is the only physical button required on anything close to up to date.

You sound like @IronWing does about phones. It's coming bro just like EVs are. Either you get on board with it or you start to sound like my father....

Not sure where you got that from... I've been using Smart-Phones since they existed and am about to upgrade my s20. (not 100% sure to what yet)

And unfortunately it's not "coming" it's here .... crappy, lazy design is rampant these days in all kinds of products. (including the retardedly stupid idea of putting controls like wipers 2 taps deep on a huge touch-screen instead of on a stalk within reach of the drivers fingers ON the wheel because it looks cool)

Just because they make it and idiots buy it doesn't make it "good"! ;)

EDIT: And EV's ARE coming but not nearly as quickly as I'd like to see or as some folks imagine.

No matter how you or I feel about it it's going to be quite awhile before we reach the "tipping point" on ICE and/or Hybrid vehicles particularly.

Last edited:

bbhaag

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2011
Not sure where you got that from... I've been using Smart-Phones since they existed and am about to upgrade my s20. (not 100% sure to what yet)

And unfortunately it's not "coming" it's here .... crappy, lazy design is rampant these days in all kinds of products. (including the retardedly stupid idea of putting controls like wipers 2 taps deep on a huge touch-screen instead of on a stalk within reach of the drivers fingers ON the wheel because it looks cool)

Just because they make it and idiots buy it doesn't make it "good"! ;)

EDIT: And EV's ARE coming but not nearly as quickly as I'd like to see or as some folks imagine.

No matter how you or I feel about it it's going to be quite awhile before we reach the "tipping point" on ICE and/or Hybrid vehicles particularly.
It's ok dad don't worry about it. You already call me when you can't get your computer or phone to work so it won't surprise me when you can't get your car to work either. I'll talk you and Ironwing through it. Don't worry I got this.

BUTTONS

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
It's ok dad don't worry about it. You already call me when you can't get your computer or phone to work so it won't surprise me when you can't get your car to work either. I'll talk you and Ironwing through it. Don't worry I got this.

BUTTONS

I'd say there's substantially better odds of you calling me. ;)

Also try reading lol .... I'm as anti-button as you are on phones/mobile devices at least.

And defending touchscreen use for all controls in cars doesn't make you a "young sophisticate" or "tech savvy" it makes you a trend-following minion.

Last edited:

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
I'll take "Shit literally everyone on earth except for car designers knows" for $1000 Alex.

Oh shit I got a daily double!

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005

Except when you are driving you are not supposed to touch your phone because it takes your attention away from the road.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
There's a reason you you don't see giant keyboards with a smooth surface like a cell phone aside from applications where you're typing infrequently and/or the keyboard has to be absolutely dust/waterproof. If I were starting a job in an office, and you showed me my new workstation with a giant touchscreen keyboard, I'd shove it so far up your ass, it would be behind your eyes, and you could examine it closely to determine why a touchscreen keyboard doesn't work well.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There's a reason you you don't see giant keyboards with a smooth surface like a cell phone aside from applications where you're typing infrequently and/or the keyboard has to be absolutely dust/waterproof. If I were starting a job in an office, and you showed me my new workstation with a giant touchscreen keyboard, I'd shove it so far up your ass, it would be behind your eyes, and you could examine it closely to determine why a touchscreen keyboard doesn't work well.

Don't give the hardware industry any ideas! Mac keyboards or ones in that style, with the really flat keys, are already super annoying to use.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
I'll take "Shit literally everyone on earth except for car designers knows" for $1000 Alex.

Ever notice how the absolute worst houses to actually live in are almost always the "architects-special" that they designed for themselves?

:p

Jun 18, 2022
You sound like an uneducated middle-schooler. What's your point?

Yes, most phones have buttons for power and volume up and down.

Driving a car and having to fumble through a fucking touch screen to do something is dangerous and just plan stupid. Nowhere near the same thing as how a phone is intended to be used.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
What surprises me is that Tesla doesn't have voice control. Like "Tesla, turn on wiper speed two." If that is in place, I wouldn't mind the actual control being in a tablet.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
What surprises me is that Tesla doesn't have voice control. Like "Tesla, turn on wiper speed two." If that is in place, I wouldn't mind the actual control being in a tablet.

I would still rather have proper manual controls in anything I drive but full/functional voice-command would be a lot better than the jumbo-tablet they come with now!

ABS and traction/stability-control that can be turned off by the driver as desired are fine but those are the only automated/nanny-car features I want in my ride.

repoman0

Diamond Member
Jun 17, 2010
I stripped my car down to this just to get rid of the useless early 2000s navigation system and screen in favor of the old school stereo option. And that POS was too old to even be a touch screen! Call me a boomer I guess, I’m barely 30 and won’t buy a car without buttons and a usable safe interface.

54CB55BA-5CDC-4D6F-AA55-816FF2EFCB5B.jpeg

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I would still rather have full proper manual controls in anything I drive.

ABS and traction/stability-control that can be turned off by the driver as desired are fine but those are the only automated/nanny-car features I want.

Yeah I prefer physical controls. But voice control that works is acceptable substitute for me.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I stripped my car down to this just to get rid of the useless early 2000s navigation system and screen in favor of the old school stereo option. And that POS was too old to even be a touch screen! Call me a boomer I guess, I’m barely 30 and won’t buy a car without buttons and a usable safe interface.

View attachment 66233

Might be easier to get a different car LoL