Buttigieg Proposes Broad Plan To Counter Racial Inequality

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Lol! ??

With their social conservatism the GOP should obviously have been able to catch huge parts of the Hispanic vote. Unfortunatley (for them) it seems their racism/xenophobia outranks that as a priority.
Biggest mistakes these idiots have ever made. They are mostly Catholic, lots of Morons I mean Mormans. Have lots of kids. But racism is a powerful drug.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Reparations is a bad move to get behind IMO. No one alive today was a slave, or owned a slave. Let it go already, it doesn't sit well with white voters to be held responsible still for past aggression. The rest of his plan i'm ok with though. Abolishing the EC would be amazing. Such a fucked up system that is.

We were literally busing black kids to white schools 40 years ago. We ended redlining 50 years ago and it still exists to this day in some cities. We have studies that show our justice system is anything but fair to black people and minorities. We currently have the most segregated schools in decades.

If you think reparations (which isn't only about handing out checks) isn't needed then you aren't paying attention and are woefully ignorant on the subject.

Reactions: obidamnkenobi

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
It's nothing more than a blatant attempt to buy votes.

Which should be right up your alley then, right? After all, you supported a guy who offered to have health care better and cheaper than what we currently have. Who ran on cutting taxes for everyone and who promised to cut business taxes.

But hey, no one has ever accused you of not being a hypocrite.

Nov 29, 2006
We were literally busing black kids to white schools 40 years ago. We ended redlining 50 years ago and it still exists to this day in some cities. We have studies that show our justice system is anything but fair to black people and minorities. We currently have the most segregated schools in decades.

If you think reparations (which isn't only about handing out checks) isn't needed then you aren't paying attention and are woefully ignorant on the subject.

That is what i was trying to get at. I am ok with his plan to do all those other things to help the communities, schools etc. I am not ok with just handing out checks though, and i dont think Dem voters as a whole would be either. And maybe its the way Pete worded it, but that was the impression i got is he wanted to do ALL those things, including handing out checks.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Sadly, I think we've moved beyond intelligent and well laid out policy as a selling point. People are just lazy and don't want policy wonks droning on and on. They just want free shit and stupid campaign chants.

Nov 8, 2012
Sadly, I think we've moved beyond intelligent and well laid out policy as a selling point. People are just lazy and don't want policy wonks droning on and on. They just want free shit and stupid campaign chants.

The problem is nothing is free in life. Anyone who says "free healthcare" or "free college" should be disqualified just for saying something so stupidly asinine.

I'm fine with discussing universal healthcare - but when you advertise it as free is the moment I know you're just targeting the idiot brigade.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
Very interesting pitch by Buttigieg to move away from old questions like busing to a discussion about "what should we do going forward?" I'm aware Mayor Pete is struggling to gain traction with black voters but hopefully this should help - yes, I know the stated concerns about the police shooting and demolition of crumbling homes in primarily black neighborhoods, but it remains an open question about whether leaving the collapsing houses standing or allowing the police chief to stay on would have been better outcomes. Just for context, an estimated 14% of the homes in South Bend were vacant or abandoned when Buttigieg became mayor in 2012, is allowing that status quo to persist a good thing for the black community?

Back to the main point, the scope of the plan and cost shouldn't scare off anyone, and the tone and reasoning he uses should resonate with most white voters too.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/11/740279980/buttigieg-proposes-broad-plan-to-counter-racial-inequality

Buttigieg Proposes Broad Plan To Counter Racial Inequality

South Bend, Ind., Mayor Pete Buttigieg got a really big boost to his campaign recently, announcing a staggering $24.8 million fundraising haul over the past three months.

But that hasn't changed one of the toughest realities his candidacy faces: support among black voters that barely registers in the polls.

Countering skeptics who doubt he can win crucial African American voters in the 2020 Democratic primary, Buttigieg rolled out the details of his plan to combat systemic racial inequality, named for legendary abolitionist Frederick Douglass, on NPR's Morning Edition.

"If you're a white candidate, it is twice as important for you to be talking about racial inequity and not just describing the problem — which is fashionable in politics — but actually talking about what we're going to do about it and describing the outcomes we're trying to solve for," Buttigieg told NPR.

His "Douglass Plan" aims to establish a $10 billion fund for black entrepreneurs over five years, invest $25 billion in historically black colleges, legalize marijuana, expunge past drug convictions, reduce the prison population by half and pass a new Voting Rights Act to further empower the federal government to ensure voting access.

His campaign says it is equal in scale to the Marshall Plan, which used the equivalent of approximately $100 billion at current value to rebuild Europe after World War II. Buttigieg says the program would be enacted alongside potential direct reparations for slavery, not in place of it.

The two-term mayor also supports a constitutional amendment to abolish the death penalty, and intends to expand the Supreme Court and eradicate the Electoral College.

<snip>

Reduce the prison population by half? Uh, how exactly?

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Reduce the prison population by half? Uh, how exactly?

Sounds like he’ll end the War on Drugs and commute sentences for drug user offenders. Don’t know if they will get us to half but it’s gotta be a pretty decent sized number.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
It's always a hoot to hear the liberals castigate the conservatives over homophobia when it's their parties base who are the biggest homophobes in the known universe. Mayor Pete's polling numbers with African Americans is proof positive of that. The Libs certainly aren't going after their base with the same vigor as they go after conservatives. It's their typical hypocrisy.
Some old smoke you keep blowing!!

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016
I guess we will need to reverse the civil rights act of 1964 to make this happen. Then what?

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011
He's not really doing anything new. He simply asking for "increased funding" starting at #'s that he knows will get renegotiated and asspoked once the process begins.

$10 billion fund for black entrepreneurs over five years
Funds\Programs already exist. He's looking for a increased funding - https://www.mbda.gov/page/grants-and-loans

Invest $25 billion in historically black colleges,
Calls for investment have already been made - https://www.insidehighered.com/news...r-government-funding-boost-community-colleges

Legalize marijuana
Expunge past drug convictions, reduce the prison population by half
Self explanatory

Pass a new Voting Rights Act to further empower the federal government to ensure voting access.
This is to counter Republican efforts to limit voting access. Every American politician with a sense of decency and recollection of "What America is" should be pushing this.