Business Owners Who Beat obamacare Denied Award From Denver

Apr 27, 2012
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...t-off-obamacare-get-proclamation-from-denver/

The Catholic owners of a Colorado-based business won an injunction recently against implementing an ObamaCare mandate -- only to be denied a proclamation now from the Denver City Council.
Hercules Industries, a heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning manufacturer which employs 300 workers and has been in business in the Mile-High City for 50 years, was to be honored with a “Good Citizenship Award." The laurel was in recognition of contributions to the community, including the historic restoration of company headquarters and, ironically, its “generous employee health care coverage.”
“The power of politicians should not be used for partisan retribution."​
- Bill Newland, owner of Hercules Industries

But the award was taken away after the owners of Hercules Industries, the Newland family, won the court injunction which said that they did not have to start providing employees with coverage that included abortion-inducing drugs, contraception and sterilization. As with several companies and colleges around the nation, the family that runs Hercules claimed that the mandates force them to violate their own religious beliefs.
Denver city councilwoman-at-large Robin Kniech originally motioned for the proclamation before taking it away, citing a heated election season.
“I opted not to submit a ceremonial proclamation on Hercules Industries in the hope of a avoiding a partisan food fight in a rancorous election year,” Kniech said in a released statement last week. “Obviously, the hunger for red meat is just too great, and I regret that this has taken on so much interest.
Kniech did not return a request for comment from FoxNews.com.
Hercules Industries owner Bill Newland told Fox News Channel he thought his company was being targeted for standing up to the Obama Administration.
“The power of politicians should not be used for partisan retribution," Newland said. "The merits of Hercules [Industries] should stand on their own. This proclamation acknowledges our success and should of gone forward, but it didn’t for their personal reasons and their own beliefs.”
State lawmakers responded to the controversy by issuing their own proclamation for Hercules Industries.

These business owners won an injunction against obamacare and then the city decides that for payback they will not give them the award. This company employs 300 people but that doesn't matter since they stood up to obamacare there will be no award.

The politicians responsible for this should be kicked out immediately, this is a gross misuse of power and the company should be able to get the award

Do you agree that the politicians grossly abused there power and the company still should get the award?

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Yeah, they claim they did not give them the award they already planned on giving them because they did not want to appear to be playing politics. Ummm...if you already planned on giving it to them before this started, no one can say you are playing politics if you follow through with it.

Good on the State Government for showing the City they are dorks.

Apr 27, 2012
Yeah, they claim they did not give them the award they already planned on giving them because they did not want to appear to be playing politics. Ummm...if you already planned on giving it to them before this started, no one can say you are playing politics if you follow through with it.

Good on the State Government for showing the City they are dorks.

It was obviously politics and a massive abuse of power, fire all of them

Xecuter

Golden Member
Aug 17, 2004
ugh incorruptible again - i could tell because of the :mad: next to half of the threads in P/N

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Sounds like that company should just move to another city to thank the Denver city council morons.

Apr 27, 2012
Sounds like that company should just move to another city to thank the Denver city council morons.

That would be a good way to teach them a lesson but unfortunately many innocent people would lose there jobs if that happened. The city council must be kicked out

Feb 10, 2000
Who cares? This is a ceremonial award, and their nomination was withdrawn because they took a high-visibility public stance on an issue that the nominating Councilperson felt would create unacceptable blowback for her. I don't see this as any sort of punitive action by the City or even by the involved Councilperson.

When I see one of Incorruptible's little emoticons alongside a thread, I pretty well know that the content will involve bigotry against Muslims or a minority group, and/or phony-baloney feigned outrage about something meaningless.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Do you at least admit her statement as to why she removed them is stupid? To avoid appearing political by continuing with what they previously decided, she made a political statement by going the opposite direction.

Apr 27, 2012
Who cares? This is a ceremonial award, and their nomination was withdrawn because they took a high-visibility public stance on an issue that the nominating Councilperson felt would create unacceptable blowback for her. I don't see this as any sort of punitive action by the City or even by the involved Councilperson.

When I see one of Incorruptible's little emoticons alongside a thread, I pretty well know that the content will involve bigotry against Muslims or a minority group, and/or phony-baloney feigned outrage about something meaningless.

Its because they went against obamacare and took a stand. This is wrong and the government has no right to do this.

Feb 10, 2000
Do you at least admit her statement as to why she removed them is stupid? To avoid appearing political by continuing with what they previously decided, she made a political statement by going the opposite direction.

I think she comes off as weak. I can only conclude she felt that in political terms this was preferable to coming off as someone inclined to reward businesses for taking a strong pro-life position. That just sounds like politics to me.

By the way, I really would be offended if someone had taken away a large government bid or grant to this company based on their stance on the Affordable Care Act. This is a ceremonial award, though, and thus pretty much entirely a political gesture. The company made it politically undesirable to give them the award. That's life in the big city.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

It's very obvious the idiots on the city council are using it as punishment (even if only symbolic) for daring to stand up to obamacare, but when confronted with it they don't want to take the heat and come up with some idiotic excuse that obviously doesn't make sense.

Apr 27, 2012
I think she comes off as weak. I can only conclude she felt that in political terms this was preferable to coming off as someone inclined to reward businesses for taking a strong pro-life position. That just sounds like politics to me.

By the way, I really would be offended if someone had taken away a large government bid or grant to this company based on their stance on the Affordable Care Act. This is a ceremonial award, though, and thus pretty much entirely a political gesture. The company made it politically undesirable to give them the award. That's life in the big city.

No, the reason was because THEY WENT AGAINST obamacare AND TOOK A STAND, SHE SUPPORTS OBAMA AND DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE THE AWARD. THIS IS JUST LIKE JOE THE PLUMBER WHO WAS ATTACKED BY BUREAUCRAT SCUM

Feb 10, 2000
No, the reason was because THEY WENT AGAINST obamacare AND TOOK A STAND, SHE SUPPORTS OBAMA AND DIDN'T WANT TO GIVE THE AWARD. THIS IS JUST LIKE JOE THE PLUMBER WHO WAS ATTACKED BY BUREAUCRAT SCUM

Seriously, this adopted persona of your has grown tiresome. It seems fairly obvious that "Incorruptible" was whipped up by someone (presumably someone politically liberal) to troll this forum with a lot of bigoted nonsense and goofy arch-conservative drivel. I'd ask that whomever you are, you reel this in. It's just not entertaining enough to keep this up.

chowderhead

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 1999
These proclamations are handed out like candy at Halloween. It's a gesture that holds zero weight or significence except to the people receiving them. Basically, the elected officials give them out as a thank you.

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
You know what's funny? They didn't really beat the ACA: as a self-insured group they are still required to pay into the reinsurance and risk adjustment programs which will provide funding for those family planning services they hate.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
Seriously, this adopted persona of your has grown tiresome. It seems fairly obvious that "Incorruptible" was whipped up by someone (presumably someone politically liberal) to troll this forum with a lot of bigoted nonsense and goofy arch-conservative drivel. I'd ask that whomever you are, you reel this in. It's just not entertaining enough to keep this up.

Totally agree. This ruse is old and clearly a liberal ALT account. Boring parody is boring. Mods pull the plug on this one please... There are enough IRL over the top conservatives without having to invent one more here...

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000

As a lawyer, you have to at least enjoy his ridiculously silly leading questions that he puts at the bottom of each of his posts:

Do you agree that the politicians grossly abused there power and the company still should get the award?

Do you agree that the Ron Paul delegates shouldn't be kicked out?

Do you agree that the war on drugs is a failure and needs to be ended?

Do you believe illegal immigrants should be kicked out and not allowed to go to school?

Do you agree he had the right to be there and shouldn't have been arrested? And are the police going way too far in censoring freedom of speech and becoming pc?

Do you think the Times went too far and what they did was unnecessary?

Should the uncle along with the family be charged over this and does France need to take a stand against hardline extremists?

Why is the media so biased against Christians and why dont they speak the truth about Usain Bolt?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
As a lawyer, you have to at least enjoy his ridiculously silly leading questions that he puts at the bottom of each of his posts:

There certainly isn't a legal prohibition, but I wonder what the reaction if a pro life supporting group was denied. I suspect much gnashing of teeth.

But it is politics and politicians. To expect much is foolish.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
That would be a good way to teach them a lesson but unfortunately many innocent people would lose there jobs if that happened. The city council must be kicked out

Denver is one city of many in the area. there are over a dozen different cities in the immediate area the company can move to if they do wanted and the employees can drive there like they do at their current location.

Last edited:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Its because they went against obamacare and took a stand. This is wrong and the government has no right to do this.

says who? you???

please tell us why the entity who is giving the award does not have the right to change their mind?

SheHateMe

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2012

Its City Council and its some stupid award. Stop acting like this is Big Government treating people badly. The succesfully opted out of ObamaCare only to lose some stupid certificate from the city. Is it really a big deal?