business internet connection keeps cutting out ?

Macafram88

Jan 8, 2010
Hello everyone

For the past few months My internet connection at work will keep cutting out alot of the times me and many other users will have to refresh the web page otherwise it will sit on the loading bar for long periods of time. other times the connection will time out and say the web page in unavailable
also i notice that just the loading of pages take more time then normal as well.
we currently are using Lavanet for our ISP
from there it goes straight to a router then to the firewall and up to the hp switch and out to users.. its very weird since a few months ago the connection was fine ...
anything helps

Thanks Melgibbson

Fardringle

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2000
Have you called your ISP to see if they are aware of the problem? If they determine that it is not an issue on their end, then you'll want to do some troubleshooting by eliminating (temporarily) the switch, firewall, and router one at a time to see if the problem stops.

Macafram88

Jan 8, 2010
thanks for the input.. yeah i have done that already . is it possible that it could bea bad ethernet card in a pc or possibly a bad cable maybe or a router i seems like there is so many different things that could be the issue ... or the isp is full of crap lol

Last edited:

Crusty

Lifer
Sep 30, 2001
thanks for the input.. yeah i have done that already . is it possible that it could bea bad ethernet card in a pc or possibly a bad cable maybe or a router i seems like there is so many different things that could be the issue ... or the isp is full of crap lol

At most regional ISPs the first level of techs don't usually have the correct information available to diagnose/troubleshoot past problems, they will want to insist on seeing the problem first hand before doing anything.

Like Fadringle said, the more variables you can eliminate from the problem the more likely you'll find the real problem.

ihyagp

Aug 11, 2008
Does this affect all users simultaneously? If so, call the ISP. If not, it could be that your dhcp server is handing out one good and one (or more) bad dns servers.