Business Grade Router?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
OP i can say this with a fact and full confidence..
I have never had to replace a Pfsense box unless it was because i wanted to downsize the power req, and upgrade for AES for future updates.

Meaning all the Pfsense boxes i have upgraded / replaced, i did while they still worked, and never because it broke.
Long time ago, i used to buy consumer routers, and they would constantly freeze, and lag, especially when i used to hammer them with torrents.
Those days are long gone after i started getting into Pfsense.
Pick the right hardware, put the right amount of ram you need and then overkill it some since its cheap, add a small SSD (32-64GB) and set up cacheing so your not downloading the same youtube video everytime, and well, you will got a firewall router which is more stable then the great wall of china.

Reactions: SamirD

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
While pfsense is great, it isn't exactly the easiest thing to set up. I still haven't played with it yet because of that.
Whut? If I can get it to work, everyone else on here should be able to xd

Best part for me is being able to turn on a few rules, flush state table and presto, no internet access for my kid, on ALL his devices.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
OP i can say this with a fact and full confidence..
I have never had to replace a Pfsense box unless it was because i wanted to downsize the power req, and upgrade for AES for future updates.

Meaning all the Pfsense boxes i have upgraded / replaced, i did while they still worked, and never because it broke.
Long time ago, i used to buy consumer routers, and they would constantly freeze, and lag, especially when i used to hammer them with torrents.
Those days are long gone after i started getting into Pfsense.
Pick the right hardware, put the right amount of ram you need and then overkill it some since its cheap, add a small SSD (32-64GB) and set up cacheing so your not downloading the same youtube video everytime, and well, you will got a firewall router which is more stable then the great wall of china.

eh? cacheing is not needed when you have unlimited data.