Business Casual Slacks

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
I'm starting a new job in about a week. I live in medium-sized town with a shopping mall, various clothing stores, etc...but always struggle finding stuff that fits me right.

I've got a 36-38" waste and typically a 34" inseam. Jeans always fit me best because of the pocket designs. Dress pants always have smaller pockets and not as much material below the hips to hold wallets/phones/keys.

I was getting a bunch of business casual stuff from Eddie Bauer, but may need to go a touch more formal. Banana Republic/Gap type stuff sometimes looks formal enough, but never fits me properly because they're all designed for guys that are sized manlet-5'10" in height... The pants I find at the typical department stores are in the total opposite direction.

I'm just curious if you all have any recommendations on favorite brands of work pants/slacks. Once I find a brand and style I like, I'll probably dump my closet and order a bunch. If they're available to order on Amazon, even better.

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
try Duluth trading company. They have several fits in all styles. They have been moving more and more into nicer stuff. I have some great looking slacks from them and the fabric is about 10x better than gap or banana. you may have to go to a store though, oh the horror!

the only size issue I have them them and almost all other brands is sleeve length. i'm about 5'10" but my wingspan is 6'3" most people have a span about equal to their height.

Reactions: Captante

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
try Duluth trading company. They have several fits in all styles. They have been moving more and more into nicer stuff. I have some great looking slacks from them and the fabric is about 10x better than gap or banana. you may have to go to a store though, oh the horror!

the only size issue I have them them and almost all other brands is sleeve length. i'm about 5'10" but my wingspan is 6'3" most people have a span about equal to their height.
I don't mind going to a store to try things on....I'll check out Duluth.

A few years back, I found some Levi's I liked. They ended up getting a hole in them, so I thought, "Why don't I look up the product info and reorder the same thing..." I then found them online at a cheaper price than at my local stores. I've been doing that with some other jeans/shirts the past few years and it's saved me a ton of time. It'd be different with seasonal stuff, but for jeans and pants, it may work ok as long as the companies keep their fit the same and the materials don't do something crazy when washed.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
When I was still wearing slacks in the office, my favorite were Perry Ellis, also available on Amazon. Make sure not to get the slim or modern fits though. Typically got a 34" or 36" inseam, and they have normal-sized pockets.

Reactions: Scarpozzi

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
I don't mind going to a store to try things on....I'll check out Duluth.

A few years back, I found some Levi's I liked. They ended up getting a hole in them, so I thought, "Why don't I look up the product info and reorder the same thing..." I then found them online at a cheaper price than at my local stores. I've been doing that with some other jeans/shirts the past few years and it's saved me a ton of time. It'd be different with seasonal stuff, but for jeans and pants, it may work ok as long as the companies keep their fit the same and the materials don't do something crazy when washed.

my wife orderd me 2 shirts from athleta, and one the sleeves are about a 1/2 in longer than the other. super annoying. pretty nice fabric though.

the Duluth stuff is very consistent. i try on when we are in store, but am always the same size even in different styles of stuff. like a button down and a t shirt or jeans and shorts, or the casual stuff and the rough work stuff.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Another vote for Duluth.... their stuff is top quality most of the time and they'll stand behind it. A bit pricy though even when on sale.

I've also been very happy with Lee "Comfort-Flex" pants far as comfort and durability goes and they can be had for $20-$30 a pair on sale @ Kohls or Macys etc.

My biggest problem buying clothes (pants in particular) is that I'm almost exactly "average size" for American men meaning my size is ALWAYS the first one to sell out!

:confused:

Last edited:

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
I think I've got a lot of Banana Republic stuff but they do not cut the cloth generously, so if you have a lean frame you'll get stuck with very tight pants, which some people are OK with, just depends on you.

Dickies pants are generally more in between a jean and a formal slack and you might be able to get away with them (just depends on your work environment).

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Another decent place for reasonably priced and good quality men's casual pants is Lands End.

They're an LL Bean wanna-be with the same to (slightly) lower quality BUT always lower prices and terrific customer-service.

Last edited:

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Wow... I haven't been in an actual office for over 18 months now. I vaguely remember wearing Wrangler legendary gold khakis from Target when I did, though. Good price, decent quality.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
+I found some great slacks at Goodwill!! They are a thrift store with a lot of high end slacks for cheap!!

Reactions: Captante

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
+I found some great slacks at Goodwill!! They are a thrift store with a lot of high end slacks for cheap!!
Just make sure they're not from managers that shit their britches this past year cause their workforce all quit at the same time....cause that's probably a thing.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Savane - old school, I know. They were more formal than others. Wore them in my IT job before I retired in 2014. Maybe buy a couple of pairs and wear them until you get on the job and see what everyone else is wearing. I also wore Dockers but they were a bit baggy.

Reactions: Scarpozzi

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Savane - old school, I know. They were more formal than others. Wore them in my IT job before I retired in 2014. Maybe buy a couple of pairs and wear them until you get on the job and see what everyone else is wearing. I also wore Dockers but they were a bit baggy.
I own some Savane. I agree with Dockers not fitting the bill.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

hawt! ;)

il_1588xN.1616689465_q3m6.jpg

Not appropriate? THAT all depends on what kind of "business" you are up to!

:p