Bush's Speechwriting

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
(or whomever is writing them for him)

I read an article in the Seattle Times today about Bush's speeches, and how they differ from those of past presidents - how he uses language that bullies and corners people, rather than simply stating facts or giving hope.

I wish I could find a link to the editorial, but after looking through both the Seattle Times and Seattle PIs' websites, I cannot find it.

Any thoughts on this?

Bush's Speech After 9/11

Roosevelt's Speech After Pearl Harbor

The Article In Question

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'v noticed this also, not exacly in comparison with past presidents since I havent exactly read many of them but Bush's speeches can definetly be described as "language that bullies and corners people,"

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Czar
I'v noticed this also, not exacly in comparison with past presidents since I havent exactly read many of them but Bush's speeches can definetly be described as "language that bullies and corners people,"

I am tired and not writing as well as I would like to... there are more clear, technical terms that are used, I am just not recalling them at the moment. :p

If anyone knows or read this article, I would really appreciate a heads up or a link.

phillyTIM

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
George EXPECTS applause after each sentence; he parades himself around, like he deserves everyone to kiss the ground he walks on. He's the most snide, self-centered President we've ever had. It's a joke to watch his speeches and his egotistic facial expressions upon his pause and expected applause.

No wonder his speech bullying is what comes out, he's thinking of his own grandeur, and F##K the rest of the world. This is the reason why the US has become the most feared nation and the most targeted nation by terrorists now since George's post-9/11 conduct.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
Originally posted by: phillyTIM
George EXPECTS applause after each sentence; he parades himself around, like he deserves everyone to kiss the ground he walks on. He's the most snide, self-centered President we've ever had. It's a joke to watch his speeches and his egotistic facial expressions upon his pause and expected applause.

No wonder his speech bullying is what comes out, he's thinking of his own grandeur, and F##K the rest of the world. This is the reason why the US has become the most feared nation and the most targeted nation by terrorists now since George's post-9/11 conduct.
Don't be stupid. I guess pre-11/09/2001 we weren't much of a target? This only happened after the WTC came crashing to the ground and the Pentagon was given a new ventilation system? I guess they targeted us then by mistake. I guess the embassies and the Cole don't count either; they were accidental targeting I'm sure. The previous WTC bombing? Another unfortunate targeting accident. How about the marine barracks? Another oops?

I don't listen to much of Bush's speeches. Don't get more than news bites here so I can't comment on those. But we've been the most feared nation since the days of Ronnie Raygun and I don't know where you've been hiding but we've been targeted by Middle Eastern terrorism since the 70's. It's just now that they've been able to bring it to our shores.

Vadatajs

Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2001
I've noticed that too. They aren't so much speeches as strings of individual soundbytes intersperced with applause.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Vadatajs
I've noticed that too. They aren't so much speeches as strings of individual soundbytes intersperced with applause.

This could be said of every president SOTU address.

Aug 27, 2002
Originally posted by: jjones
Originally posted by: phillyTIM

Don't be stupid. I guess pre-11/09/2001 we weren't much of a target? This only happened after the WTC came crashing to the ground and the Pentagon was given a new ventilation system? I guess they targeted us then by mistake. I guess the embassies and the Cole don't count either; they were accidental targeting I'm sure. The previous WTC bombing? Another unfortunate targeting accident. How about the marine barracks? Another oops?

I don't listen to much of Bush's speeches. Don't get more than news bites here so I can't comment on those. But we've been the most feared nation since the days of Ronnie Raygun and I don't know where you've been hiding but we've been targeted by Middle Eastern terrorism since the 70's. It's just now that they've been able to bring it to our shores.

well said.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Oh for crap sake. Bush is being compared to FDR and you boobs are talking like there was no Pearl Harbor. I think the point is this is the first time our Pres has been Cowboy Bob. The Supreme Coup selected a disaster. Watching him makes you cringe.

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Oh for crap sake. Bush is being compared to FDR and you boobs are talking like there was no Pearl Harbor. I think the point is this is the first time our Pres has been Cowboy Bob. The Supreme Coup selected a disaster. Watching him makes you cringe.

Well, at least two people were bright enough to make the connection.

MonstaThrilla

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2000
That Seattle Times article is great, and I remember reading it in the Nation a few weeks ago. I think its important to know that while Bush uses "dependency creating" language, Howard Dean uses the exact opposite technique (and it should be noted that during his campaign he's only used prepared speeches 3 or 4 times). Dean normally ends his stump speeches with "You have the power to..." phrases, the finale being "You have the power to take your country back".

Its a nice change to see a politician who talks about empowering the electorate rather than scaring them into submission.

Konigin

Platinum Member
Jan 21, 2003
People who give speeches know when to expect applause, criticizing some because they expect applause is pretty lame.

CaptnKirk

Lifer
Jul 25, 2002
Yes ! I see it now in the body language ! The same confident knuckle dragging gait
that the Alpha Male Monkey uses when he swings down out of a tree to confront a
juvenile member, or a subservient female - when he wishes to intimidate weaker members.
How could I have missed this - DeLay, Lott, Frist, Hasselet, they all do the same.

Whoop, whoop, whoop, (pound chest) Ahhh-EEeee-Ahhh !

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
I don't know why, but for some reason, I cannot watch or listen Bush speak. It is simply painful..I cannot help but cringe when I see him on the news giving a speech...no matter what he's talking about.

Interestingly, he is the only one that produces this effect. Its not because I don't agree with his ideas, because others in his administration (Powell, Rumsfeld) or people with the same ideology (Harper) do not produce the same effect.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: Orsorum
Bump?

You bump this drivel?

rolleye.gif

CkG

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Bump?
You bump this drivel?
rolleye.gif

CkG
Did you read the article?

He probably didn't. Anything CAD doesn't agree with is automatically "drivel."

Good article though, thanks for the link. Here's something I found interesting:

Let's compare "crisis" speeches by Bush and Ronald Reagan, the president with whom he most identifies himself. In Reagan's Oct. 27, 1983, televised address to the nation on the bombing of the U.S. Marine barracks in Beirut, he used 19 images of crisis and 21 images of optimism, evenly balancing optimistic and negative depictions. He limited his evaluation of the problems to the past and present tense, saying only that "with patience and firmness we can bring peace to that strife-torn region and make our own lives more secure."

Bush's Oct. 7, 2002, major policy speech on Iraq, on the other hand, began with 44 consecutive statements referring to the crisis and citing a multitude of possible catastrophic repercussions. The vast majority of these statements imply that the crisis will last into the indeterminate future. There is also no specific plan of action. The absence of plans is typical of a negative framework, and leaves the listener without hope that the crisis will ever end.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Bump?

You bump this drivel?

rolleye.gif

CkG

Did you read the article?

Umm yes - Infact I did read them.

DM - Yes - this thread is more crap whipped up by the left to try to discredit Bush.

The Shiz - Better get a 10th candidate then - none of the 9 current candidates stand a chance.

CkG

Orsorum

Lifer
Dec 26, 2001
CkG - I couldn't care less about discrediting Bush. I simply find his speeches difficult to listen to, that they rouse some sort of emotions within me, and finally found an article that identified my response.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
CkG - I couldn't care less about discrediting Bush. I simply find his speeches difficult to listen to, that they rouse some sort of emotions within me, and finally found an article that identified my response.

So a person of strong conviction is "difficult to listen to"? Scared of the truth? People who speak with conviction scare you?

CkG