Bush's Fantastic Economy:Americans declaring Bankruptcy, contemplating suicide, can't compete with India at 1/6 of wages

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

freegeeks

Diamond Member
May 7, 2001
Originally posted by: Shelly21
According to CNNMoney, Ford is slashing 12,000 jobs worldwide, not just in the US, and Chrysler is going to do the same.

yip - Ford Europe announced yesterday to slash 3000+ jobs here in the Ford plant (Belgium).

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: XZeroII
Another point: How many jobs were created in that time? It's pretty irresponsible to show information on how many jobs were lost and not point out how many new jobs were created.

If there was News of jobs being created, the News of so many Job loses wouldn't be News. If there was News of Jobs being created I would certaintly post about it.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: dirtboy
Originally posted by: LunarRay
The best economist can with some reliance on his education and experience tell you cause and effect as a general proposition. If I said to you we had a net lost of 10000 jobs last month and you thought that was no biggie... you'd pass over the essential parts.. how many did we gain and lose and in what sector and local and what is the dollar affect to the entire change.. Are there suppliers, support, service etc. yet to record their losses..
If we lost 7m jobs averaging 20$ per hr and created 6.90m averaging 10$ per hr you can easily see the impact that has in the sector and local.. the important part is to know where. If losses are centralized in Mich. and gains are through out the states.. we've a major problem in Mich.

Okay a bunch of people lost their jobs and they are all unemployed. In the short term it sucks. In the long term, those people will find new work, create new jobs by starting business, move to a location that has jobs, or retrain/educate themselves in a new line of work.

So really, it's not a problem. Times change. Technology changes. Jobs change. Outlook changes. Things come and go, and people have to be flexible to that.

The economy works on supply and demand. Sometimes some areas have high demand, sometimes others do. That's how the economy works...take that to a global scale now, because, like it or not, we are a part of a global economy.

Another it's only Supply and Demand pundit. Well there's your answer, leave the United States. That is exactly what is beginning to happen. First people were moving State to State to find work now we have to leave the Country, brilliant.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: dmcowen674
The best economist can with some reliance on his education and experience tell you cause and effect as a general proposition. If I said to you we had a net lost of 10000 jobs last month and you thought that was no biggie... you'd pass over the essential parts.. how many did we gain and lose and in what sector and local and what is the dollar affect to the entire change.. Are there suppliers, support, service etc. yet to record their losses..
If we lost 7m jobs averaging 20$ per hr and created 6.90m averaging 10$ per hr you can easily see the impact that has in the sector and local.. the important part is to know where. If losses are centralized in Mich. and gains are through out the states.. we've a major problem in Mich.

Okay a bunch of people lost their jobs and they are all unemployed. In the short term it sucks. In the long term, those people will find new work, create new jobs by starting business, move to a location that has jobs, or retrain/educate themselves in a new line of work.

So really, it's not a problem. Times change. Technology changes. Jobs change. Outlook changes. Things come and go, and people have to be flexible to that.

The economy works on supply and demand. Sometimes some areas have high demand, sometimes others do. That's how the economy works...take that to a global scale now, because, like it or not, we are a part of a global economy.

Another it's only Supply and Demand pundit. Well there's your answer, leave the United States. That is exactly what is beginning to happen. First people were moving State to State to find work now we have to leave the Country, brilliant.

So you are advocating companies keep too many expensive employees rather than offer them an early retirement package.

I guess you also advocate that verisin keep 1/3 pf its employees as managers. IT seems you would be much happier if these companies did not trim the fat and go bankrupt and layoff 100% of their employees.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: rchiu

Great, let's all follow your theory and get rid of all the unemployment office, all the government agency regulating the fiscal/monetary policies. Just let supply and demand take its course and we will all be rich and happy.

Yeap, you really do know economy........

That's exactly what is happening, this Dirtboy must work in the current Administration or a head on one of the Big Corporations with the Execs at the top reaping the huge profits from all the rape they are doing.

Most of the Big Corps especially the ones that have sent the jobs overseas are the very same Company opening up a Company in the Foreign Country under a different name. For example BellSouth is closing down all it's Phone Centers and shipping the jobs to Moraine India to a Company called Berry Company, the parent Company is BellSouth. So when you call for Internet Tech support or your phone isn't working in Georgia you will be talking to a Phone worker in India. There is no way any the resident "experts " in here can justify that. I've never heard of someone in India having to talk to a rep say in Japan to get their phone fixed in India. Only American Corporations could come up with such bird brained thinking.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: billyjak
Fact: President Bush has ben the only president in history to lose jobs in each year of his term. He is averaging 68,000 jobs lost each year of his term., and the total is climbing. Even his father created 62,000 jobs a year.

President Clinton created his first 4 years 268,000 jobs a year.,his second term 218,000 a year.
--------------
According to the "experts" in here there are more jobs being created than lost, can't find any evidence of that but the swear they are right.

President Bush wants to disabolish overtime pay which is used to fuel the economy.
---------------
That falls in line with the Corporations that own this Administration. They are using the excuse that American workers cost too much and that is why they have to ship the jobs overseas. Getting rid of overtime pay would supposedly lower this American Labor cost. Sure, it will but will the Corporations then bring the work back to the U.S. , NOT. All it will do is further increase profits and line the pockets of the few Execs at the top even more at the expense of everyone else and lower the quality of life in the U.s evem more. In other words, Kings that live in Castles and peasants that serve them everywhere else, complete destruction of the Middle Class that made America so strong.

Posted by LunarRay "I wish there was a more rational explanation to what is happening and perhaps there is. I am stuck on the notion that what occurs is not random but directed for some purpose. It is the purpose that I can't put my finger on. It could be just bad judgement but that presupposes a lot of bad judgement has been comming from the White House and Congress over the years.. Lets put it this way.. I'd not allow it to happen if I could control it so why do they.. ? "

The apparent goal is along the lines of this Global Economy, that the U.S. would no longer be looked up to as any kind of a "Super Power", no longer on cutting edge of Technology, no longer the Leader of the Free world, etc etc. Maybe the thinking that then it wouldn't be such a "Big" target to attack??? No one would want to beat up the Bully since he is no longer a Bully?
------------------

President Bush wants to sign the free Trade agreement which will force the US to lose they predict 8 million jobs to be outsourced overseas.
President Bush wants 78 more billion to pay for Iraq, for a war he created out of vengence for his father, he knew that Sadam was never a threat for weapons of mass destruction., he has said so in his tapes from 2001.

Without the WMD, the whole thing is a Father/Son vendetta. Every Dictator needs to go, not just Saddam but Castro and the rest of them, why was only Saddam targeted???
----------------
Fact: Unions help the economy by raising the standard of living.

Unions helped establish "Policy". A Policy of Corporations gently being forced to spread the wealth to very workforce that feeds them other wise they Bite the hand that feeds them which is exactly what is happening now.

"There is only so much you can bite the hand that feeds you until you will eventually starve."
---------------

You decide which way to vote as this upcoming election is one of the most important in Americas history.

Vote Republican if you want to put the Country into Bankruptcy. The republicans could care less, they like to see low paying jobs created so they can maintain the power edge, it's always been that way and will never change.
---------------

The Republican=Rich, Democrat=Poor thing has really reared it's head this time.

Consumer confidence is at a all time low. No spending, no jobs and a recession follows.
---------------
They were saying Recession for the last at least 2 years, more like falling to DEPRESSION now.

People have the attitude to not buy american, cars, clothing and everything else.
We need to go back to campaining, buy American. or America will soon be overtaken by the China.
--------------------
Has to back further than that, has to be built and made in America first and be of decent quality or at least back up your product. Donna had the transmission go in her 2000 Dodge at 36,800 miles where the Warranty expired at 36,000, they wanted $2,000 to put in a new one. We complained and they "Pro-rated" the transmission like a Tire and charge us $200. Then the engine went at 38,000 miles and they wanted $2,000 to rebuild it. We complained again but they would not budge.

Harley Davidson is the only company that did it right by constantly projecting the image to buy american.
HD portrays the American image and has been very sucsessful.

In a relatively few years China will become the Global leader in every product we buy and USA will just be another spec on the map.

If we keep losing manufacturing jobs at the rate were going, oh well, next time it's your ass that goes out the door , oh well.

Bush signed bills and created this fiasco and if you want more so be it, but do not cry when you go bye bye.
--------------------

If Dirtboy and the others in here that like all this are either in the Administration or Fat and Happy Execs of a Corporation reaping all the rape rewards, then their butt won't go bye bye and they don't care. They'll be sipping Mai Tai's on an Miami Beach.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Thread posts from Off Topic Job Networking thread showing even people posting in here are considering moving overseas to find work.
-----------------------------

GTaudiophile
Diamond Member

10/01/2003 5:35 PM

Anyone here have any tips on getting hired in Germany?

I'm also looking in GA, CA, SC, and VA.

As usual, resume at my web site.
hans007
Diamond Member

10/02/2003 3:25 AM

its just not competitive to do work in america anymore.

the place my dad works might be moving a lot of work to mexico also. i mean nafta makes it very easy to do.

-------------------------
heatwares
my computers
UCLA Alumni

10-2-2003 Hurrican Isabel blamed for Jobless increase

Economists see claims over that key level to be a sign the labor market is deteriorating.
-------------------------------

Ya think? :confused:

395,000 Jobs lost a week, Holy Sh1T, I had no idea it was that high. We're not heading into DEPRESSION, we are firmly in it.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: charrison

So you are advocating companies keep too many expensive employees rather than offer them an early retirement package.

I guess you also advocate that verisin keep 1/3 pf its employees as managers. IT seems you would be much happier if these companies did not trim the fat and go bankrupt and layoff 100% of their employees.

I don't see it that way.. ya gotta put the shoe on the foot that it fits on.. The management of the various companies have a duty to the owners to increase wealth or at least preserve wealth. They should do what is in the owners best interest.. going to Egypt if that is what it takes is their job.. The fact that they are forced to do this is the fault of the Government folks whose duty, it seems to me, is to insure the American people have an economy that provides the opportunities for the standard of living we have evolved to..

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Another point: How many jobs were created in that time? It's pretty irresponsible to show information on how many jobs were lost and not point out how many new jobs were created.

If there was News of jobs being created, the News of so many Job loses wouldn't be News. If there was News of Jobs being created I would certaintly post about it.

No you wouldn't. You're a fear monger...just look at your posts.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
If Dirtboy and the others in here that like all this are either in the Administration or Fat and Happy Execs of a Corporation reaping all the rape rewards, then their butt won't go bye bye and they don't care. They'll be sipping Mai Tai's on an Miami Beach.[/quote]

You get raped by the state of Florida and now because you're not rich guy in some high paying job, you come here insulting everyone and spreading your fear...haha you are such a loser.

rufruf44

Platinum Member
May 8, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison

I don't see it that way.. ya gotta put the shoe on the foot that it fits on.. The management of the various companies have a duty to the owners to increase wealth or at least preserve wealth. They should do what is in the owners best interest.. going to Egypt if that is what it takes is their job.. The fact that they are forced to do this is the fault of the Government folks whose duty, it seems to me, is to insure the American people have an economy that provides the opportunities for the standard of living we have evolved to..

I concur about the points where ceos of companies and the likes have the duty to increase wealth and preserve wealth, which why sometimes I found its ironic ppl are raising hell about losing their job, and in the same time curse the performance of their stocks if the company didn't do well enough.
As for blaming the Govt, I don't think thats entirely true. With rising cost of living & expense, people simply have to have better wages, which is happen in the US. Can't blame the government for a fresh graduate in CS wanting to make 40-50K/yr, while in India they only make 10K/yr.

As for the rest of ppl that keep emphasizing the loss of jobs in the US and how evil the companies that are on moving jobs overseas, what do you suppose these companies need to do about it then? Its quite simple, reduce cost = greater profits, and the more profits they make, the better the company is.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
its just not competitive to do work in america anymore.

Since when? Since when idiot? If it's so uncompetitive, why are there even businesses in America? Can't answer that, can you.

the place my dad works might be moving a lot of work to mexico also. i mean nafta makes it very easy to do.

And let's talk about NAFTA moron. Lot's of people, idiots like you, thought it would take American jobs away due to cheap Mexican labor. boo hoo What actually happened? A few jobs left, but after NAFTA, trade between Canada, the US and Mexico increased. When trade increases...JOBS increase. Wow.

395,000 Jobs lost a week, Holy Sh1T, I had no idea it was that high. We're not heading into DEPRESSION, we are firmly in it.

When there are people starving on the street and half of all American's are out of work, then you can say we are in a depression. We aren't. Look at the stock market, it's been recovering from the burst. If we were in a depression, none of us would have Internet access because we couldn't afford it. We'd all lose our homes, but somehow the housing market is booming. Now explain to me how people are building new homes in the middle of a depression, because that didn't happen in the Great Depression.
rolleye.gif

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com

What fear??? I never said or used the word fear. Also if you would read you would see positive posts as well, just so happens there aren't that many to post since we are in a DEPRESSION. No fear in that, it is reality.

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

Why don't you do us a favor and move to a socialist country, because that is what you must really like. Like it or not, the economy does work off of supply and demand. People have moved state-to-state for years, that is nothing new. You wouldn't know, because you and your ignorance live under a rock from which you spread your blatent stupidty. I don't see people leaving the country. You see two people on this forum talk about leaving, and you interpret that as everyone is leaving. See how stupid you are?

dirtboy

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

What fear??? I never said or used the word fear. Also if you would read you would see positive posts as well, just so happens there aren't that many to post since we are in a DEPRESSION. No fear in that, it is reality.

Considering you're the only person in the world saying it, it's fear. Nobody agrees with you. hahaha Fool.

It's called fear, fear of something you don't understand. You don't understand the economy, so when you hear news that you also don't understand, you misinterpret it and run here in hopes that someone will listen to your stupidity, because nobody else will.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I think as a start to what could be a meaningful discussion from the various perspectives of usins, we do a few things. The first is to use the economic terms that are generally accepted to define an economic condition and/or be specific as to a location (s) relative to the use of the term when the economic condition is not nation wide. I tried to allude to this earlier in saying "if I lost my job it would be a depression but if my neighbor did it might be a recession.." I know it may be picky but in reading the posts by many I can see the point if I focus on a narrower or broader picture as the case may be. The second is that many folks can see the same data set and conclude differently. If Art Laffer and I were having a discussion on just about anything I'd agree with many of the under lying assumptions assigned to the various data but, I'm certain I'd disagree on some and to some extent not agree with the conclusion. Another and lastly is and I'll use the latin... (cuz I can :)) "post hoc ergo propter hoc" A lot of what we say should occupy volumes but, we are limited in time and space. Because of this limitation folks go bonkers when they read a post and assume the poster intended to link the first event with causing the second because the first statement came before the second. I do this all the time and when I read what I wrote avoid the edit by thinking.. well, they'll know what I meant. I can see from this thread that ain't always the case.. This I think will eliminate the frustration and flames.
We also jump from micro to macro in the same sentence.. and I get so confused... :D (because I'm simple)

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
While I agree that we are heading for/IN a depression, that number is extremely misleading.

The number of jobs lost has to be compared against the number of jobs gained for a NET employment change figure.

395,000 jobs a week = 20,540,000 jobs a year.
Assuming 1/3 of Americans would be gainfully employed if possible, that's about 90,000,000 people in the employment pool, for an average employment length of just over 4 years before they start looking for another job. Crappy, but not that extreme.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
rufruf44

I said:
I don't see it that way.. ya gotta put the shoe on the foot that it fits on.. The management of the various companies have a duty to the owners to increase wealth or at least preserve wealth. They should do what is in the owners best interest.. going to Egypt if that is what it takes is their job.. The fact that they are forced to do this is the fault of the Government folks whose duty, it seems to me, is to insure the American people have an economy that provides the opportunities for the standard of living we have evolved to..[/quote]

You said:
I concur about the points where ceos of companies and the likes have the duty to increase wealth and preserve wealth, which why sometimes I found its ironic ppl are raising hell about losing their job, and in the same time curse the performance of their stocks if the company didn't do well enough.
As for blaming the Govt, I don't think thats entirely true. With rising cost of living & expense, people simply have to have better wages, which is happen in the US. Can't blame the government for a fresh graduate in CS wanting to make 40-50K/yr, while in India they only make 10K/yr.

As for the rest of ppl that keep emphasizing the loss of jobs in the US and how evil the companies that are on moving jobs overseas, what do you suppose these companies need to do about it then? Its quite simple, reduce cost = greater profits, and the more profits they make, the better the company is.[/quote]

Well I guess the gross answer is the either refine and remedy the 'global' or the 'national' approach to our economic future. Some of this and some of that ain't gonna cut it. I don't care which way we go, either will work for us but, not as it is currently 'played'. Since we have all the treaties and rules and everything else in place for the 'global' economy, we ought to start with recognizing that the use of foreign labor makes sense but, is that nation elevating the standard of living of the workers so that in time they will be on par with us or is the reverse going to occur in time. We need getting the Commerce folks off their butts along with the Trade folks and see what is going on in each of these countries. Mexico has not done diddly (IMO) to raise the folks working along the border. This is a must if we are to advance our own standards. This of course, does not mean that we will always be ahead.. not at all but our standard should grow and the emerging nations grow at a greater rate.

edit: The idea is to have a market to sell our goods into... and if their standard stagnates so will our ability to sell into it... while they pump goods into our market...

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
Considering you're the only person in the world saying it, it's fear. Nobody agrees with you. hahaha Fool.

It's called fear, fear of something you don't understand. You don't understand the economy, so when you hear news that you also don't understand, you misinterpret it and run here in hopes that someone will listen to your stupidity, because nobody else will.

I see you are still insulting people here while posting some of the most idiotic thing I've ever read.

You are the one who doesn't know what is going on. Do you know the current president is on track to be the first since president Hoover to lost jobs during his 4 years? Guess when Hoover was president. 1929~1933, does that ring a bell?

Do you know we are running record government deficit, record jump in national debt, record trade deficits during this few years and if nobody do something about those, we will soon become like Argentina, you do know where is Argentina and what is happenning there recently don't you?

The only thing you know seems to be, yeah we always have trade deficit , yeah we always have unemployment, so what is the big deal. Well the big deal is the amount of trade deficit we have is much higher than what we have before and we don't have a strong economy anymore to support the deficit. The unemployment level haven't been this high for almost ten years, and no one know if we have the social structure and policy to support this kind of unemployment. The worst thing is, the unemployment doesn't seems to improve with economy, and we may only have higher unemployment even if the economy recovers. That will not be good for society. And before you go and say Europe have much higher unemployment number, they use different way to account for the number, and their society has much better safty net for those unemployed. So don't go compare our number with other people.

So, it's not that dmcowen674 is spreading fear. He just know better, unlike you who are clueless about what's going on in American.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
The NBER (the folks who identify the turning points and business cycles) have a definition of recession:
"A period of significant decline in total output, income, employment, and trade, usually lasting from six months to a year and marked by widespread contractions in many sectors of the economy". Of course there is the old stand by "A decrease in the GDP that lasts for at least two quarters"

The 'great depression' is really the worst of all our recession periods.. I might use the term depression to define a recession that is world wide and an order of magnitude greater than the normal recessions that occur over time. But, it really has wide and differing definitions.

IMO we are not in a depression but, some of the indicators of the NBER would point toward recession but, not all... The stock market is not an NBER indicator as such... it,among other things is a predictor of events and NBER looks at historical data.

rjain

Golden Member
May 1, 2003
Interesting that while the number of jobs on employees' payrolls are going down, the number of employed people is going up. I've already mentioned this, so you can read about the details in a thread I started a few weeks ago.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: rjain
Interesting that while the number of jobs on employees' payrolls are going down, the number of employed people is going up. I've already mentioned this, so you can read about the details in a thread I started a few weeks ago.

I don't think I follow.. sorry.

rchiu

Diamond Member
Jun 8, 2002
The NBER (the folks who identify the turning points and business cycles) have a definition of recession:
"A period of significant decline in total output, income, employment, and trade, usually lasting from six months to a year and marked by widespread contractions in many sectors of the economy". Of course there is the old stand by "A decrease in the GDP that lasts for at least two quarters"

The 'great depression' is really the worst of all our recession periods.. I might use the term depression to define a recession that is world wide and an order of magnitude greater than the normal recessions that occur over time. But, it really has wide and differing definitions.

IMO we are not in a depression but, some of the indicators of the NBER would point toward recession but, not all... The stock market is not an NBER indicator as such... it,among other things is a predictor of events and NBER looks at historical data.

We had a recession back in 2001/2002 where we had 3 consecutive quarters of declining GDP. Since then we have a few positive quarters in terms of GDP growth, but our employment and trade hasn't return to normal level.

Depression is much bigger then recession, the usual definition is when GDP has declined more than 10%. We have not experienced a depression since WW2.

Having said that, it is important to make sure our government is doing the right thing to steer us away from depression. We had a recession, we still have unemployment problem. Our production/output are moving out of our country. Our consumers are loosing job, piling up debts and scare of spending. Our government is still heavily pro-business, pro-high income class in the expense of mass middle/lower income class. What is that going to do to our economy in the long run. I certainly do not want to wait until depression is here to find out.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
Dirtboy,

I said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You bet! Problem here is that we have a growing population and a shrinking quantity of middle class jobs. We need to protect against the loss of more jobs. Consider, if we could reduce the income tax because we were at full employment and had revenue levels creating vast surplus we could use this money to pay the cost differential US made products would create. Or, inflation which over time equalizes the standard if the fiscal and monetary policies are intelligent. As the middle class goes lower the tax burden increases on them and others all of which makes for bad times. Someone has to pay for the government and that someone is the folks with jobs... earning less but paying more in tax or it goes to debt and then we get into another chain of logic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You said
Quote:

Well, I don't know about a shrinking quantity of middle class jobs. If anything, I see a shrinking of lower class jobs. Again, I don't know where you're getting your data from, nor what you consider middle class.

Reducing income tax puts more money in people's pocket. When people have more money, they will buy more things. When they buy more stuff, they create more jobs.

We already subsidize enough things, giving business diferentials really doesn't get us anything.

Would you believe that the top 50% of US taxpayers pay 96% of the tax burden? Would you believe the top 1% of taxpayers pay 50% of the tax burden? It's true. I don't see a shrinking middle class. If anything, I see an increaseing middle class, primarily due to two incomes[/quote]

I see a number of classes; Poverty, Lower, Middle, Upper and Ultra. But, I suppose from the poverty level to the upper level is the middle class although, some economists figure Middle is between 2 and 6 times the poverty level which implies something inbetween - like lower. So your point is a good one. I could mean anything.. couldn't I..

It used to be based on a family of four. But here again we have the problem of where the folks live. If they live in Alaska HHS would say about 25K$ is the poverty line but, in the 48 contig's it would be near 22K$

Lets settle on single earner with him and 3 dependents and at: poverty to 24k, lower to 38K, middle to 125k and upper beyond 125k. Or give me your numbers that you like.. 24K$ is just under 10$ per hour.
When I say we have a shrinking quantity of middle class jobs it is related to the above thresholds and the population. If the growth of middle income level earning jobs decreases related to population growth then I say it is shrinking. The shrinkage may result in going up or down. If you wish to define only three classes or broaden the $figures then I'd have to change my assumptions too.. :) I can't easily debate till I know what the $ are..