Bushmaster Firearms put up for sale after shooting

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
Exactly the current problem, as soon as American legislators talk about banning assault rifles, a few American companies may sell off their investments in Bushmaster. Only one of the makers of civilian versions of AR-15 military assault rifles, while a vaster American civilian market will flock to and buy other assault rifles and ammunition before before any Federal ban takes place. As hurry hurry all ye gun nuts, rush to buy up even more Assault rifles before its too late.

But even then, maybe we can trust the legitimate American gun owners, but when they leave their homes, burglars will proceed to steal their gun collections, and then resell them to anyone regardless of how nutty they are for cheap cheap cheap as our American criminals and total nutcases can become armed with high quality firearms.

Assault rifles are already banned unless you have $25k of disposable income to drop on a rifle.

Please educate yourself before you speak.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Exactly the current problem, as soon as American legislators talk about banning assault rifles, a few American companies may sell off their investments in Bushmaster. Only one of the makers of civilian versions of AR-15 military assault rifles, while a vaster American civilian market will flock to and buy other assault rifles and ammunition before before any Federal ban takes place. As hurry hurry all ye gun nuts, rush to buy up even more Assault rifles before its too late.

But even then, maybe we can trust the legitimate American gun owners, but when they leave their homes, burglars will proceed to steal their gun collections, and then resell them to anyone regardless of how nutty they are for cheap cheap cheap as our American criminals and total nutcases can become armed with high quality firearms.

When $1000 rifles get stolen, they get sold to pawn shops, not to criminals. Even criminals looking for black market guns are buying in the $100 range.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
When $1000 rifles get stolen, they get sold to pawn shops, not to criminals. Even criminals looking for black market guns are buying in the $100 range.

No, they don't. Police check pawn shops, and run all serial numbers at least weekly. Criminals that want an AR15 for doing dirt are just as likely to steal it themselves.

DucatiMonster696

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2009

No pawn dealer would ever knowingly or willing purchase a stolen item. Especially if they want to stay in business and not get shut down by the police who have no problem checking pawn shops for stolen goods. Second of all they'd also need to be licensed to be able to buy and sell firearms. Attaining that license costs a lot of money so they would never allow themselves to buy possibly stolen firearm which would put their license in jeopardy.

Last edited:

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
No, they don't. Police check pawn shops, and run all serial numbers at least weekly. Criminals that want an AR15 for doing dirt are just as likely to steal it themselves.

So they check pawn shops for no reason then? Think about what you've just said. The common criminal committing random acts of violence DOES NOT want an AR15.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
The tool is irrelevant, once you and the rest of the anti-gun progressives get past your aversion to a tool, you can get on board with helping to solve the actual problem.

I'm not anti gun, I have guns. I just live in reality. I think the issue is a mental health issue, I also think the issue is the ability for mentally I'll to get guns.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Maybe try reading, the problem has been mentioned, by me even in this very thread.

Thanks for your reply. I followed this thread with interest from the start. You addressed quite a few "problems" <---(plural) in it. I was wondering what specific "problem" <----(singular) that you singularly referred to in the post I quoted you from.

But hey, no prob. I just wanted to reply to your post within the context you delivered it in and not throw darts at it. *Moved on*

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
No pawn dealer would ever knowingly or willing purchase a stolen item. Especially if they want to stay in business and not get shut down by the police who have no problem checking pawn shops for stolen goods. Second of all they'd also need to be licensed to be able to buy and sell firearms. Attaining that license costs a lot of money so they would never allow themselves to buy possibly stolen firearm which would put their license in jeopardy.

Lmao of course they don't want to buy stolen goods, the police will confiscate and they are out money. Law enforcement does not fine a pawn shop or used gun dealer for buying stolen guns, they are far more concerned with the dealer selling to someone that they shouldn't. I'm sure there are tolerances built in, but its amazing how delusional people are.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
So they check pawn shops for no reason then? Think about what you've just said. The common criminal committing random acts of violence DOES NOT want an AR15.

Are you really this clueless? They check pawn shops specifically looking for stolen goods, especially guns. They check stolen gun serial numbers against recently taken in inventory. You are right however about the common criminal not wanting/needing an AR15.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Thanks for your reply. I followed this thread with interest from the start. You addressed quite a few "problems" <---(plural) in it. I was wondering what specific "problem" <----(singular) that you singularly referred to in the post I quoted you from.

But hey, no prob. I just wanted to reply to your post within the context you delivered it in and not throw darts at it. *Moved on*

Mental health issues are the problem. Continual infringement on the rights of millions of law abiding citizens because people don't want to address the real problem is bullshit.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Why would they check for stolen guns if they never found any? Were talking about modern departments on strained budgets. Here's a hint from a former cop, its because they find stolen items, including firearms.

There are plenty of "legal" ways to sell a stolen firearm, such as a face to face transfer which has no paper trail. Post a message on an online trading board and sell to someone who wants a gun for legal reasons.

xj0hnx

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2007
Why would they check for stolen guns if they never found any? Were talking about modern departments on strained budgets. Here's a hint from a former cop, its because they find stolen items, including firearms.

Once in a great while they find a gun, but today most criminals that are smart enough to not be in jail know that you can't sell stolen guns to pawn shops, and especially something as high profile as a AR15. Besides, a pawn shop isn't going to give you more than you can get on the street for one by a long shot.

There are plenty of "legal" ways to sell a stolen firearm, such as a face to face transfer which has no paper trail. Post a message on an online trading board and sell to someone who wants a gun for legal reasons.

Right, which doesn't jive with your original statement ...

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Eh my main point of the comment is that most of these firearms are going to individuals who legitimately want to own one for non-criminal reasons. Yes, this might include people who can't legally own one but criminally minded individuals simply don't want AR15s.

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Mental health issues are the problem. Continual infringement on the rights of millions of law abiding citizens because people don't want to address the real problem is bullshit.

so are you saying that an otherwise law abiding citizen who is mentally unstable, with a record as such, should be able to buy or have access to a gun?

that is what lotus was arguing against, the mentally ill having access to guns.

if you have someone in your household who could go off the deepend you damn sure better make certain that they can not gain access to your guns or just not have them in your house.

Last edited:

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Wouldn't the fact that the gun succeeded in doing what it was meant to do--shoot and hit targets--effectively serve as an advertisement for Bushmaster rifles?

You think Rightists would have applauded the accuracy especially having a tight group of 10-15 bullets in each child's head.

Last edited:

lyssword

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2005
in a cynical view, this tragedy serves many purposes
- news stations extra viewers, more $$
- uniting the majority by blame video games/aspergers/ atheists/ shy w/ever undesired group
- as with any other mass shooting, increased sale of guns (to protect vs "potential" threat).
- gives audience to thousands of nutjobs w/ their armchair psychiatrists/explanations

Oct 30, 2004
in a cynical view, this tragedy serves many purposes
- news stations extra viewers, more $$

It's also done a great job of kicking the Fiscal Cliff (or should I say Tea Party Cliff or Republican Cliff) out of the news headlines. It's probably good news for Republicans since it seemed like they were going to take the blame for this mess.

Oct 30, 2004

It's almost a comic irony that gun control advocates don't accomplish much other than to increase the sales of guns and ammo.

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
Assault rifles are already banned unless you have $25k of disposable income to drop on a rifle. Please educate yourself before you speak.

That's the problem.

People have different definitions of the term "Assault Rifle." I'm guessing you're including selective fire including in some cases full auto in your definition.

Anyway a semi auto rate of fire and ease of reloading is all you really need...

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
That's the problem.

People have different definitions of the term "Assault Rifle." I'm guessing you're including selective fire including in some cases full auto in your definition.

Anyway a semi auto rate of fire and ease of reloading is all you really need...

An assault rifle is capable of full auto, by definition. Calling a semiautomatic rifle an "assault rifle" is incorrect.

This would be an "assault rifle" under your absurd definition:

M1Rifle.jpg

blankslate

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2008
An assault rifle is capable of full auto, by definition.

Calling a semiautomatic rifle an "assault rifle" is incorrect. This would be an "assault rifle" under your absurd definition:

So you know what my definition of an Assault Rifle is? ok. /shrug.

*edit*

I was going to add "to kill or injure a large number of people" to the last sentence in my previous post but didn't feel like going into that at the time.

The point was you don't need an "assault rifle" to kill or injure many people so a new ban wouldn't do much.

Last edited:

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002

You understand people have perverted the definition for a reason right? If politicians had to call it a semiautomatic rifle then they couldnt lump it in with what the military carries. The definition of an assault rifle since the first one came off the line in Nazi germany nearly 70 years ago. And it isnt what an AR-15 is.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003

*edit*

I was going to add "to kill or injure a large number of people" to the last sentence in my previous post but didn't feel like going into that at the time.

The point was you don't need an "assault rifle" to kill or injure many people so a new ban wouldn't do much.

then you should ban all semi-automatic weapons, because they can all be used to kill or injure a large number of people? :confused:

as a gun-owner, i'm not opposed to REASONABLE measures to prevent these tragedies. the problem is everyone is being unreasonable (and i notice a lot of people ignoring the mental health aspect)

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Hopefully the quality of Remington and Marlin firearms will go up as they get new owners. No more Remlins please.